Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering this evening. Opinions welcome!

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

I'm ordering a new rig this evening, and I've just put together the spec. Just curious as to what the good folks on this board think.

Intel i7 920 2.66GHz (Nehalem)(Socket LGA 1366)
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Intel X58 Motherboard
    Leadtek GeForce GTX 280 1024MB
    Corsair 3GB DDR3 XMS3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz (3x1GB) Tripple Channel DDR3
    Antec P182 Super Midi Tower case
    Corsair TX 650w PSU
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Sata-II 32MB Cache
    Sony DDU-X10S Blu-Ray Reader
    Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBN 22x DVD-RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter
    Akasa AK-174BKT-B 120mm fan x 2
    Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5.25inch Fan controller

Comes to about 1100 Euro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

that looks deadly sanj.

nice price aswell, for 1100 quid thats a really good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Class system, I dont think you can do better.

If I was you I would get an Evga gtx 260 for €220 and then take advantage of the step up program to get some of the new cards due in a few weeks.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=54RW&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=gtx+260&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

I dont like Sli but have you seen the performance benefits of Core i7 and Sli?

vi6oj3imxsogtu0ygfk2.jpg

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Not sure whether you have the option- but the Asus P6T motherboard has loads of very interesting features that you might like to play with- including a handheld remote for onthefly overclocking etc, SAS raid controller and lots of other goodies.......

The Gigabyte is a rock solid board- but not as feature rich...... Then again Asus are famous for their toys......

can I ask what native resolution ur monitor is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'm not sure what native resolution the monitor is... or even what native resolution is! But it's a Samsung 22" Syncmaster 2233BW if that helps!

• Advertisement

its 1680*1050 so

same as myself, not a huge resolution considering whats out there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The PSU might not be enough if you intend to overclock; TH maxed out a TX650 with a HD4850X2 - catch being that the 920 was "only" OCd to 3.7GHz and both GPU cores were actually underclocked. 920+X58+GTX280 is a very power-hungry build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Solitaire wrote: »
    The PSU might not be enough if you intend to overclock; TH maxed out a TX650 with a HD4850X2 - catch being that the 920 was "only" OCd to 3.7GHz and both GPU cores were actually underclocked. 920+X58+GTX280 is a very power-hungry build.

A quality 650W is more than enough.

Maybe if he was planning on cramming in another 1/2 GTX 280s for SLI would he need a bigger PSU.

Advertisement