Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnley tonight

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Just hoping that we don't "pull a tottenham" and mess up with some soft goals! :rolleyes:
    Hoping harry puts out a strong enough team and hoping Pav starts and hope that he keeps up his form he had against wigan! :D
    Really startin to take a shine to the lad as a good player!
    And finally hope we're not another premiership team burnley can topple!!!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

I see Defoe is eligible for the Carling Cup. Won't be playing tonight, apparently, but will be available for the second leg.

As Modric showed on Friday night that he can play well in a four-man midfield, I just hope 'Arry plays two strikers tonight. No point in playing a five-man midfield at home to Burnley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Burnley supporters on Sky Sports News seem over-confident to me...just as Spurs supporters were as I was travelling down to Cardiff for the Spurs/Blackburn final.
    I'll hope that's a good omen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I expect a 3-1 win IMO,

Pav/Modric and someone random to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm strangely confident about this one. I think Defoe being there will really bring the crowd to life and hopefully do the same for the team. I won't predict a score but I'm very hopeful of a decent win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We played a shyte first half but what an improvement in the second, surely this will be good enough to see us through to wembley:)Bentley and Bale poor again,but great performances from Dawson, O Hara,and Pav.my man of the match would have been Corluka, probably our most consistent player this season..COYS......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

tippspur wrote: »
    We played a shyte first half but what an improvement in the second, surely this will be good enough to see us through to wembley:)Bentley and Bale poor again,but great performances from Dawson, O Hara,and Pav.my man of the match would have been Corluka, probably our most consistent player this season..COYS......

agreee with all of what you said but would like to add one more thing.

i know bentleys work rate is good but his distrabution of the ball is poor and i think harry redknapp should pull him and o hara aaside in training and get jamie to show him how to beat the first man with a cross. 2 great delieveries for the dawson header and the og.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

We have to stick with that 4-4-2 formation. We always look a threat with it as oppose to the 4-5-1 were we always look a distance from the goal when we are controlling the ball. I think the weight has really been lifted off Pavs shoulders in this one making him look a differant and better player.

Eagles looked good last night. Turned us inside out a few times. He should really be picked up by a bottom half premier club. I'm not implying us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

With Defoe back that 4-4-2 option will probably be used, and it pleases me :D My only concern is that without a tough midfielder, like what Appiah is supposed to be, Modric will be too lightweight.

Great comeback last night and not what I would have expected at all. Dawson was my MOM, with Jamie a close second. In the second half I thought Zokora was excellent and I agree with Corluka in being our most consistent player - what a purchase he's turned into!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

was at the game last night poor 1st half but we made up for it in 2nd half.Dawson was immense best game in ages,Pav had a great 2nd half aswell.Was sitting right next to away fans,had some fun as the goals went in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Aside from the improvement and the scoreline, there were still too many shades of the "dodgy" side of Spurs....soft goal, far too many stray and lax passes, even in the second half - we should (and could) have made at least 7 or 8 more chances, and made it about 6 nil by the end, they were so demoralised.

I counted at least 8 crosses that went AWOL, 4 or 5 that didn't pass the first man, and there were about 10 or 12 in midfield passed straight to an opponent, almost launching a counter-attack while our guys were queuing up in the Burnley box....

Great second half, and great comeback, but still lots of improvement required to weed out the elementary mistakes and make us bulletproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Aside from the improvement and the scoreline, there were still too many shades of the "dodgy" side of Spurs....soft goal, far too many stray and lax passes, even in the second half - we should (and could) have made at least 7 or 8 more chances, and made it about 6 nil by the end, they were so demoralised.

losing one nil at ht. just had to point it out!

Advertisement