Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biodiesel Information

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi
    I have been making Biodiesel for a while now with no problems.
    The issue I'm having is information on it.
    I cannot find anywhere that says whether I am supposed to be paying some type of tax on it.
    Also my supply of waste oil has just run out, because the company I got it from will no longer let me collect it unless I get a waste collection cert (can cost up to €5000).
    The green party have a lot to answer for. They say they are trying to help the environment but when I try to do my bit, my hands get tied by them and their regulations.
    Anyone any ideas on this.
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Commercial BioDiesel enterprises here pay the Diesel tax per litre on everything they sell. In the UK they formalized a set volume per year the individual can produce tax free(more than enough for average usage). We havent done so and basically ran everyone interested in alternate fuels into the ground with taxes.

I suggest keeping your head down and getting a different supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I looked into this a few years ago and from what I could find out, with the exception of a few licensed operators with an tax exemption allowing them to produce plant oil as a motor fuel, everyone else had to pay the standard rate of duty on every litre and plus vat on the costs. However, the revenue have no mechanisim by which a small producer like yourself, making fuel for their own needs, can pay these taxes.

Advertisement