Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just looking for some info on this food?

• 06-01-2009 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking to lose a bit of weight not much, and gain some muscle.

Was just wondering what you guys think of Avonmore soups? I imagine they're healthy but are they really? Specifically the mixed vegatable.

I also was wondering about the Uncle Ben's microwaveable rice? I'm guessing this isn't the best?

Was also wondering about SuperQuinn fresh noodles? I have them with some John west Tuna, Salmon or Mackeral Fillets. Then pour some soy sauce over it and cut up some onions.

These are all things I have for lunch that I was thinking wouldn't be the worst but yeah should I cut out any of this stuff while trying to lose weight and gain muscle?

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

im not positive about the avonmore stuff but most processed soup has a lot of salt and or bad fats. homemade soup is very easy to make, you should try the Nigella method of roasting all the ingredients in the oven and then just chucking into the blender with stock (made using a boullion stock cube), it saves sweating over a boiling pot!

Uncle bens express wholegrain rice is healthy IMO ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭DeCoR18

corkcomp wrote: »
    im not positive about the avonmore stuff but most processed soup has a lot of salt and or bad fats. homemade soup is very easy to make, you should try the Nigella method of roasting all the ingredients in the oven and then just chucking into the blender with stock (made using a boullion stock cube), it saves sweating over a boiling pot!

Ah thanks for the information apprciate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wholegrain being key. But it is still quite high in calories if you are counting them.

The noodles are a poor choice, I would be pretty sure they are white flour ones, and noodles pack a huge amount of calories per serving, a single pack of supernoodles has around the same calories as a big mac. The white flour is a simple carbohydrate, not much better than eating plain sugar! it will cause insulin spikes which can lead to fat gain.

I use roma wholemeal pasta in place of noodles, though rarely eat it as it is so high in calories I would sooner have more chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭DeCoR18

rubadub wrote: »
    Wholegrain being key. But it is still quite high in calories if you are counting them.

The noodles are a poor choice, I would be pretty sure they are white flour ones, and noodles pack a huge amount of calories per serving, a single pack of supernoodles has around the same calories as a big mac. The white flour is a simple carbohydrate, not much better than eating plain sugar! it will cause insulin spikes which can lead to fat gain.

I use roma wholemeal pasta in place of noodles, though rarely eat it as it is so high in calories I would sooner have more chicken.

Interesting thanks :)

The noodles aren't the instant variety though, I'll have a look about the white flour.

Any thoughts on Soy Sauce? I know it contains lots of salt, but Soy beans are good right?

rubadub wrote: »

The express wholegrain rice is still a healthy option though (IMO) - the entire 250g pouch is around 392cal and even for someone who eats a lot, that much rice is extremely filling! A lot of "healthy" foods are high in calories, 250g of nuts could pack more than 3 times as many calories as the rice but it doesnt make them unhealthy ... even a handful (50g) of almonds is almost 300 cal ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

... even a handful (50g) of almonds is almost 300 cal ..

You must have big hands! :)

cozmik wrote: »
    You must have big hands! :)

I do !! :p

Advertisement