Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the compact disc dying?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the CD is doomed as a mass format - it'll probably cling on in small numbers like vinyl but the vast majority of music will be download within 5 years.

I buy my music wherever it is cheapest - until recently that was generally still on CD but cheaper downloads and the advent of subscription services mean I probably won't buy many more actual disks. I listen to the vast majority of my music on the Dart or in the car where the poorer sound quality of mp3s isn't really noticeable, but people in general aren't interested in sound quality above a certain level anyway - convenience wins every time... (thats why cassettes were so successful).

Advertisement