Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus Éireann double-deck coaches in Ashbourne - where are their priorities??

Options
  • 06-01-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Took my first trip on one of Bus Éireann's new VDL Berkhof Axial double-deck coaches this morning as it was operating the 103 route from Ashbourne to UCD. Once you get sitting down, it's very comfortable and much quieter than a double-decker bus but there's a number of compromises compared to their standard double-decker.

Number one is capacity. On a route that's often just 45 minutes long, we can stand for the journey. This new coach doesn't seem to offer that option - I could be wrong but I don't think you can stand. So that leaves seating only; and with only two-thirds of the lower level available for seating, there seems to be less seats compared to a standard double-decker. So, amazingly, Bus Éireann have managed to reduce capacity with their new toy (I should add that the bus I was on, however, was half-empty).

Number two is headroom. I'm not a tall guy, absolute average height in fact, and I had to bow slightly when walking upstairs. And going down the front stairs (there's rear ones too), you have to watch out for a panel over the stairs that's almost in your eyeline (I'd say a few people have already smacked it). Downstairs looks downright claustrophobic and dark.

Number three is cost. With a much higher specification in terms of seating (full coach seats with recline and armrests), individual vents and lighting, extra soundproofing - all of this must cost extra than a standard double-decker.

This type of vehicle may be necessary on high-volume Expressway routes but on a service like Ashbourne to Dublin - which, it goes without saying, is already eye-wateringly expensive (€31.50 for 5 return trips on one bus) - it's simply not necessary. Nor is their investment in GPS technology (which only seems to be a way of announcing what stop we've just passed), nor is their investment in new bus stop signage.

What is needed on a route like Ashbourne to Dublin is cheaper fares through integration with Dublin Bus fare structure, more stops in the town (still just four places to get on or off a bus in a town with close to 10K people), standard double-deckers on all peak services and a southside terminus.

What we don't need is a tourist coach like this, built for 60km+ journeys and not a quick run like Ashbourne-Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I would imagine that these new intercity style double deckers will not normally be used on the Ashbourne route except when it may be the only bus available.

Personally, I don't hugely care what type of bus it is. I just wish I was not discriminated against in my travel cost to the city center in comparrison to other equidistant areas of the commuter belt. Some might say move closer to Dublin but I personally consider Ashbourne a reasonable commute just like Maynooth, Bray, Balbriggan, Dunboyne are however you get better value for money there as you are in the Dublin Bus/Rail Commuter territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Do they have toilet facilities on them? The reason why I ask is that there is more than enough space for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

Those coaches have indeed been bought for much longer routes (Cavan etc), and the odd guest spot on the 103 service would be a case of needing a bus in a hurry when one of the normal ones was defective or unavailable.

Four new double-deck buses have been bought for the 103, and will enter service shortly, these are Wright bodied Volvos, similar to (but slightly nicer than) new buses currently entering service with Dublin Bus.

Aquavid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Do they have toilet facilities on them?

The LD class do not have toilets on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

UCD to Ashbourne in 45mins? Are these magic super-coaches? I used to get the 32X to Malahide from UCD and it would take twice that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Apols, Cool Mo D, Ashbourne to the GPO in 45 mins. It's practically empty from there to UCD.

If you have free parking, it's much cheaper and more reliable to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I was one of those new buses recently and I noticed that there's not a lot of space to store bags or anything anywhere.

Advertisement