Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shindigs

Options
  • 06-01-2009 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

where have all the shindigs gone?
    anyone organising them anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

was wondering that myself - cant remember the link to the other firefly forum that has several irish fans on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

My GF has gotten so into Firefly that she is hanging for another fix
    she also hates that she makes comments using quotes from the show and no one gtes them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cloudinsane

I knew someone who organised them -- they also organised the Irish Serenity charity event last year, but real life got in the way, and things caught up. So no more organisation. Gorrammit ^^

I knew someone who organised them -- they also organised the Irish Serenity charity event last year, but real life got in the way, and things caught up. So no more organisation. Gorrammit ^^

Pooh
    :(

Ye that serenity day was great fun (i thought it was the year before last and there was none last year?)

• Advertisement

Oh, maybe it was? You might be right about that.

Maybe we could organise the screening again?

I would lead but don't know where to start.
    If anyone has any information then I would take it from there

to even begin thinking about it we would need to have a shindig to get the irish firefly heads together to figure things out and create lists of companies we could contact who might be willing to donate to the screening. I suppose we would also need to check out if there is a screening this year - And yes it appears there will be

And last years results came in a few weeks ago

2008 Screenings
    Adelaide, SA (AU) $1,925.05
    Albuquerque, NM (US) $238
    Affiliate Arlington, VA (US) $45
    Arlington, VA (US) $1,923
    Atlanta, GA (US) $977.97
    Auckland (NZ)
    Austin, TX (US) $10,883.40
    Boston, MA (US) $3,235
    Brisbane, QLD (AU) $455
    Charlotte, NC (US) $6,525.74
    Chicago, IL (US) $3,463.04
    Columbus, OH (US) $363
    Dallas/Fort worth, TX (US) $4,318.64
    Dayton, OH [Yellow Springs] (US) $862.81
    Denver, CO (US) $2,400
    Des Moines, IA (US) $491.60
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL (US) $410.97
    Houston, TX (US) $7,634.04
    Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Launceston, TAS (AU) $10
    Leicester (UK) $537.58
    London (UK) $888.87
    Los Angeles, CA (US) $3,825.12
    Madison, WI (US) $435
    Melbourne, VIC (AU) $705
    Memphis, TN (US) $815
    Minneapolis, MN (US) $7,254.15
    New York, NY (US) $500
    OC, CA (US) $2,229.67
    Ottawa, ON (CA) $1,112.41
    Philadephia, PA (US)
    Phoenix, AZ (US) $5,741.95
    Pittsburgh, PA (US) $588.00
    Portland, OR (US) $7,031.39
    Raleigh, NC (US) $5,254
    Salt Lake City, UT (US) $2,000
    San Diego, CA (US) $1,929.74
    San Francisco, CA (US) $3,292.00
    Seattle, WA (US) $3,892.40
    St. Louis, MO (US) $1,259.85
    Tampa, FL (US) $1,722.32
    Toronto, ON (CA) $6,560.00
    Tucson, AZ (US) $1,849.60
    Vancouver, BC (CA) $2,187
    Warwick (UK) $334.71

Ye i would like to go to another one and would be willing to throw time into helping to orginise this

Id up for a shindig to sort it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mr. A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Sat 2nd May The long stone bar, usually upstairs from 7pm till they kick us out.
    :)

I'll be the one with the leinster jersey on :):D

Skinfull wrote: »
    Sat 2nd May The long stone bar, usually upstairs from 7pm till they kick us out.
    :)

I'll be the one with the leinster jersey on :):D

you'll be the one crying into your pint?

Sorry lad, I will be celebrating Munster going to the Final, again, that night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

you'll be the one crying into your pint?

Sorry lad, I will be celebrating Munster going to the Final, again, that night

Okay sure good luck with that dream hope it helps you sleep at night :)

Skinfull wrote: »
    Okay sure good luck with that dream hope it helps you sleep at night :)

don't need to dream lad. Was at the semi and final in 06.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Boards has a Firefly (let's pretend Serenity never happened, ok?) forum?

Cool.
    Yeah, you thought I'd say shiny, didn't you? Well ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

How can you like Firefly and not like Serenity?? :eek: it was awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Heard something on the radio yesterday about Whedon rebooting the firefly series with some different characters and some the same, due to the muck that is dollhouse being such a failure.
    Discussions have already started apparently.

bobbbb wrote: »
    Heard something on the radio yesterday about Whedon rebooting the firefly series with some different characters and some the same, due to the muck that is dollhouse being such a failure.
    Discussions have already started apparently.

I imagine that dollhouse would have gotten good, as the characters started to keep memories

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

robby^5 wrote: »
    How can you like Firefly and not like Serenity?? :eek: it was awesome!

Nah, didn't dig it. It tried to be too Hollywood, compared to the kinda low-tech feel that Firefly had. If you compare the lighting in Serenity's cargo bay between that of the series and that of the movie, you'll see what I mean. The movie's was all kinda... lurky. I preferred Firefly's lighter tone, in a sense.

Any source on this Firefly reboot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Baza210 wrote: »
    Nah, didn't dig it. It tried to be too Hollywood, compared to the kinda low-tech feel that Firefly had. If you compare the lighting in Serenity's cargo bay between that of the series and that of the movie, you'll see what I mean. The movie's was all kinda... lurky. I preferred Firefly's lighter tone, in a sense.

Any source on this Firefly reboot?

I agree that the lighting and the aesthetic was different. This was due to:

a) FOX dismantling the TV sets, herefore Universal had to rebuild the sets going purely by freezeframing the DVD (check the Serenity commentary for confirmation of this mindblowing task).

b) The cinematographer was renowned for Western films (a lot of Eastwood) so he had is own techniques.

c) Firefly's earthy golden palette would be, IMHO, far too mild for cinemagoers. More ice-cold blues and frosty silvers made for a far better texture, I loved it. Note the change in palette from TNG to Generations: the bridge was darkened, the primary colours hightened, to introduce a delicious level of coolness to the tech itself, aswell as delivering a certain feel of otherworldliness to both ST and FF/Serenity.

d) Cinema language: if it's sci-fi, then there has to be high-tech. Therefore LCDs that switch on (rather than tune in like in the show).

The plot didn't lurch so much as build up at a far too slow pace: it had all the power and level of dread of an excellent series finale, with a fairly decent budget. But it simply wasn't pacey enough for the average Joe.

Joss admitted to it being far too talky. I think it's a sign of his own integrity that he didn't throw in a few more whizzbang scenes for their own sakes (budgetary concerns notwithstanding). He stuck with the silence in space, although he understandably used the ion storm as a decent enough excuse to add audio punch to the frankly awesome high-tail flight through the attacking fleets.

On a final note, the DVD of Serenity is available now for €3.99 from Play. Hello Bargain. Glad to make your acquaintance:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/860442/Serenity/Product.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement