Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canned Tuna

• 06-01-2009 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭

After a long break I've gone back to weightlifting and I'm eating canned tuna, along with cheap Aldi chicken fillets, as a handy source of protein.

I'm wondering if anyone would have a few tips on how to spice it up a bit? Plain Tuna gets dull fairly fast. I did a quick search on the forums with no relevant results.

I am aware of the risk of mercury poisoning associated with canned tuna so there's no need to warn me; I'm limiting my intake to four cans a week.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Sorry, wrong forum. Please move this to Cooking and Recipes if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are you allowed Mayonaisse?

Whip up a nice Mary Rose, and stir the tuna into that.

Mayo/ketchup/salt/pepper/lemon juice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pasta, tuna, sweetcorn, mayo.

Pasta, tuna, homemade tomato sauce.

Salade Nicoise.

Tuna sandwiches? I'm not sure how much you're allowing yourself in terms of carbs though.

In fact, go to www.bbc.co.uk/food and enter tuna into the recipe search box. That should provide hundreds of recipes. They'll often say fresh tuna, but you can substitute generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Des wrote: »
    Whip up a nice Mary Rose, and stir the tuna into that.

Mayo/ketchup/salt/pepper/lemon juice.

You forgot the tabasco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I stir fry 2 cans of tuna with:
    1 onion
    1 pepper
    1tsp of garam masala
    1tsp of mustard seeds
    1/2 tsp fenugreek
    1 tsp corriander powder
    1 tsp crushed chillis (reduce to taste)

Fry the spices briefly in 1 tsp oil first. When the mustard seeds start to pop, sweat the onions and the pepper. Then throw in the tuna and stir fry for about 2 mins. It's all pretty dry and spicy at this stage.
    This is lovely on it's own, or to make a meal out of it I sometimes throw in a can of chopped tomatoes to make it into a curry. That's lovely with rice.
    But it makes a tasty snack on it's own in a bowl with a fork and a drink, it's hot hot hot :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

can you get flavoured tunas in ireland? In Oz/NZ you can get loads of different flavours, chilli, red curry, salsa, etc. etc. I can't remember if we had them in ireland, I pretty much live on the stuff here, please tell me you can get them in ireland?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Tuna on a baked spud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Tuna Melt as a snack;

Tuna, mayonnaise, loads of black pepper and cheese. Lash it on to some toast. Grill.

Tuna Bake;

Pasta, tuna, sweetcorn, and whatever else you want, and there's a packet sauce you can buy which goes well - lash into a pirex dish, top with cheese. Bake, done.

Fresh tuna? Loads of **** you can do with that.

I'm not sure how your fitness regime permits cheese, but you could do without if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

if you have a baguette or any type of bread that you want to use up, the following is yum and protein rich.

tuna
    sweet chilli sauce
    pineapple bits
    ground black pepper

mix all together and slap it on the bread. Then grate cheese over it and stick it in the oven until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted.

Of course there are many variations, experiment! mmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Eviledna wrote: »
    I stir fry 2 cans of tuna with:
    1 onion
    1 pepper
    1tsp of garam masala
    1tsp of mustard seeds
    1/2 tsp fenugreek
    1 tsp corriander powder
    1 tsp crushed chillis (reduce to taste)

Fry the spices briefly in 1 tsp oil first. When the mustard seeds start to pop, sweat the onions and the pepper. Then throw in the tuna and stir fry for about 2 mins. It's all pretty dry and spicy at this stage.
    This is lovely on it's own, or to make a meal out of it I sometimes throw in a can of chopped tomatoes to make it into a curry. That's lovely with rice.
    But it makes a tasty snack on it's own in a bowl with a fork and a drink, it's hot hot hot :)
    This one sounds delish and healthy as well;I'll give it a go later when I've stocked up on spices.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    can you get flavoured tunas in ireland? In Oz/NZ you can get loads of different flavours, chilli, red curry, salsa, etc. etc. I can't remember if we had them in ireland, I pretty much live on the stuff here, please tell me you can get them in ireland?!?!

Nope, Tuna in Oil, and Tuna in Water is more or less what you get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Pace2008 wrote: »
    This one sounds delish and healthy as well;I'll give it a go later when I've stocked up on spices.

Thanks.
    You are very welcome. It's a favourite ten minute meal of mine.

Also, it is possible to get flavoured tuna in Ireland, John West do flavoured sachets, sun dried tomato and herb, etc. Personally it reminds me too much of dog/cat food to eat.
    Aldi and lidl also do flavoured tins, lidl do a nice tuna salad tin with sweetcorn etc.
    However since you are purely in this for the health benefits, the best way to guarantee whats in something is to cook it yourself.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I love tuna with a tablespoon of pesto stirred through. Fab on ricecakes (I'm one of those freaks who actually likes them), but also equally good stirred through hot pasta as a main dish.

Schwartz also do a nice Tuna Neapolitana mix for when I'm feeling really, REALLY lazy. You just need milk, tomato puree and a teeny tiny dab of butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tkyn22

I like to add tuna in potato salads.
    Potatoes, tuna, onions, cucumbers, mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Plain Tuna gets dull fairly fast.

If you don't like it then don't force yourself to eat it. There are other ways to get protein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dragon apparently likes tuna and pineapple..cant say I've tried it myself but sounds like an interesting mixture for sure!
    I often just munch on tuna with chopped tomatoes and scallions and sometimes cottage cheese. Or fresh spinach, grated carrot, chopped tomatoes, scallions, cottage cheese, tuna with balsamic and olive oil drizzled on top, tastes great, fast to make and nutritionally pretty darn good.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tuna with linguine, garlic, chilli, parlsey and lemon. Make an emulsion with equal parts lemon juice and olive oil, cook the pasta, fry the garlic and chilli in a little oil. Toss in the cooked pasta and the tuna and pour over the dressing and stir in some chopped parsley. Season.

Advertisement