Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sponsor for j1

Options
  • 06-01-2009 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

ok im planning my j1 for the suimmer and want to get it booked soon.

have a few questions. firstly ive checked out all the main companies (USIT, go4less, sayit) and after realising they dont give total prices i decided to ring up. USIT told me prices are not confirmed because of taxes but expect to be around 850euro for new york.
    i then found flights on aerlingus for 450euro including taxes etc. so then i thought why not get a j1 visa seperately, surely iwont cost 450euro??

after more research i find out you need to get a 'sponsor' to obtain a j1. these companies act as your sponsor but in turn seem to rip u off.

was wondering if anyone knows how the sponsor thing works? could i get my own sponsor and how? i have a family friend who works in america so maybe he could do it?(although id have no intention of working with him).

cheers guys,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Has far as i know (i'm pretty certain) you have to go through one of these companies, you're actual sponsor is an American company called Intrax, Usit, etc work with them to get your Visa, they won't deal with individuals so bottom line you'll have to do it the same way everyone else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    ok im planning my j1 for the suimmer and want to get it booked soon.

have a few questions. firstly ive checked out all the main companies (USIT, go4less, sayit) and after realising they dont give total prices i decided to ring up. USIT told me prices are not confirmed because of taxes but expect to be around 850euro for new york.
    i then found flights on aerlingus for 450euro including taxes etc. so then i thought why not get a j1 visa seperately, surely iwont cost 450euro??

after more research i find out you need to get a 'sponsor' to obtain a j1. these companies act as your sponsor but in turn seem to rip u off.

was wondering if anyone knows how the sponsor thing works? could i get my own sponsor and how? i have a family friend who works in america so maybe he could do it?(although id have no intention of working with him).

cheers guys,
    Brian

thats a loada balls! i saw them aer lingus flights aswell, what a rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

you dont have to go threw the companies listed but its way way easier

i got to boston all in for 700 return new york should be around that too

this includes

j1 fee(280 but free due to free j1 offer)
    flights(500)
    insurance(120)
    'sevis fee' (60 i think)

so ye you can do it on your own but then you hav to deal with the embassy contact intrax yourself book your own flights organise your insurance (up to the us embassys standards) and deal with any problems that arise yourself before you go and while your there, its just not worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 B.A. Baracus

[FONT=&quot]Sorry Guys for jumping in here. I'm new to boards.ie and I don't how to start a thread. So I thought the best way to get info on my problem was to jump into a similar conversation.

I want to go on a JI this year before I finish collage. I was thinking Miami. Do you anyone who has gone there? I will need to work when I get out there.

Is it easy to get Jobs in America with the whole global town turn? In terms of accommodation how much does it cost. I'll have about €1200 - €1500 when I get over there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

[FONT=&quot]Sorry Guys for jumping in here. I'm new to boards.ie and I don't how to start a thread. So I thought the best way to get info on my problem was to jump into a similar conversation. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I want to go on a JI this year before I finish collage. I was thinking Miami. Do you anyone who has gone there? I will need to work when I get out there. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Is it easy to get Jobs in America with the whole global town turn? In terms of accommodation how much does it cost. I'll have about €1200 - €1500 when I get over there.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Any advice would be greatly appreciated[/FONT]
    think i heard there is 2million people unemployed in america but i could be mistaken, highest in 16 years anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement