Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Register a .com ??

Options
  • 06-01-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've had my eye on a domain that I could really use. It's been registered now for a number of years but it expires soon. The .com domain has never beed used at all, just registered.

Is there any way I can pre-register this to automatically purchase it once it expires?

I've been late renewing domains before and had automatic sites claim my domain in an attempt to sell it back to me. Hate that! But this is to make a genuine site at an unused domain.

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are several companies that off dropcatching services - try snapnames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Hey!

So that expiration date finally arrive, then passed... for a few days the domain was going as having an expiration date before the current date on Whois. Now it's coming up as this (using http://internic.net/whois.html);

Domain Name: *******.com
    Registrar: REGISTER.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.register.com
    Referral URL: http://www.register.com
    Name Server: NS1.EXPIREDDOMAINS.REGISTER.COM
    Name Server: NS2.EXPIREDDOMAINS.REGISTER.COM
    Updated Date: 03-mar-2009
    Creation Date: 01-mar-2000
    Expiration Date: 01-mar-2010

So did they renew?

I can't help but notice the "NS1.EXPIREDDOMAINS.REGISTER.COM ......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

That suggests up to 80 days. Looking at the whois does it look like register.com is holding it for that time? Could it become available before "Expiration Date: 01-mar-2010" so?

It's strange because I had .com that I didn't get around to renewing and it was already replaced a couple of hours after the deadline...

Advertisement