Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEXT - STG Conversion

Options
  • 06-01-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Next are still using the very, very old rate of £0.6666 to €1.0000, this despite the common claim from uk retailers operating in ireland that rates are fixed at the start of each year, based on the prevailing rate at the time to make it easier for stock purposes etc.
    As I've said previously, if they are going to continue this practice, could they not at least produce labels solely for the irish market (ie without the stg price underneath)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

YAY another sterling vs euro complaint.:rolleyes:
    Anyway i believe they reduced the prices on ladieswear last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    could they not at least produce labels solely for the irish market (ie without the stg price underneath)?
    You mean you actually would prefer if the product costed even more???

The extra cost on individual labelling would add to their admin, labelling, distribution costs. And this would all be passed onto you.

Do you get upset at the multiple pricing on newspapers, magazines & books too? would you rather pay more for all them too, just for the sake of being able to stick you head in the sand about the fact stuff costs different prices in different countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭absurdtrivia

Some of the stores with dual proce labels have a perforation on the label so they can tear off one of the prices.

But, hiding the sterling price on the label just maked them look even more guilty. I like to be able to see both prices so I can see if i'm being ripped off or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

rubadub wrote: »
    You mean you actually would prefer if the product costed even more???

The extra cost on individual labelling would add to their admin, labelling, distribution costs. And this would all be passed onto you.

Do you get upset at the multiple pricing on newspapers, magazines & books too? would you rather pay more for all them too, just for the sake of being able to stick you head in the sand about the fact stuff costs different prices in different countries?

No, I wouldn't prefer the product to cost more, what made you think that??

There wouldn't necessarily be any extra cost on individual labelling, you tell your supplier that x amount of items are destined for Ireland, so put the Euro label on them. Even if some additional expense were incurred it might at least justify the price differential to some degree, but at least it might credit the irish with some intelligence.

Regarding magazines and newspapers, the prices aren't as transparent as there are different rules of VAT etc to consider, but that aside, obviously one would feel the same.

The main point here is that with the start of a new year their old excuse about setting prices according to the prevailing exchange rate have been made redundant. I appreciate that costs can be higher for companies in this country, but why not back up their assertions by releasing their profit margins in ireland as opposed to other operating areas, if they charge a similar margin everywhere we couldn't have any complaints.

Advertisement