Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Matt Serra done?

• 06-01-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Was reading the Arlovski V Fedor thread and someone mentioned Mattt Serra. I had almost forgotten he existed since his title defence.

Do you think we'll see him fight for the title again or is the general opinion that he fluked the title and won't get another shot?

Has anyone heard anything of him lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

There still should be plenty of interest in a fight between him and hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Hes rumoured to be fighting Matt Hughes later this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Hughes said in a Q&A he did a while back that he will be fighting Serra this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Hes rumoured to be fighting Matt Hughes later this year

Likely in May. His wife is due in March and Hughes refuses to fight in Canada, which is where the April show is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Ah yea that rings a bell alright. I think Matt hughes said that would be his last fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

He refuses to fight in Canada?!!

I know that he slagged off Canada a few times but that's just cause he's a redkneck.

Sure was GSP Hughes 3 not originally schedualed for Montreal, before Serra upset it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I think Hughes doesn't want to go "overseas" again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I know that he slagged off Canada a few times but that's just cause he's a redkneck.

Sure was GSP Hughes 3 not originally schedualed for Montreal, before Serra upset it all?

That's what Joe Silva said! Hughes did say many bad things about Canada before each of his fights with GSP, even if he didn't mean any of it I'm sure that he knows that the fans at the show wouldn't forget. So it's either that he hates the country that much that he won't fight there or that he doesn't want the distraction of thousands of people booing him. It'd be ironic if the fight were to happen in New York :pac:

GSP vs Hughes III was never set before the GSP vs Serra first fight. The Montreal show was over a year after Serra won the title, the UFC don't book that far in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Hughes vs Serra in Canada would be funny, as both have abused Canadians ahead of their respective matches with GSP

Isnt Serra a natural lightweight, who fought up a weightclass to get onto the comeback TUF show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

The next logical fight for Serra is the Hughes fight which should be scheduled sometime over the next 4/5 months. The delay in this is due to Hughes family situation and also the fact that his knee was badly injured in the Alves fight last June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

serra is a great fighter and far from finished, he'll be in the mix for a long time to come, its just such a strong division to be in.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Fozzy wrote: »
    That's what Joe Silva said! Hughes did say many bad things about Canada before each of his fights with GSP, even if he didn't mean any of it I'm sure that he knows that the fans at the show wouldn't forget. So it's either that he hates the country that much that he won't fight there or that he doesn't want the distraction of thousands of people booing him. It'd be ironic if the fight were to happen in New York :pac:

GSP vs Hughes III was never set before the GSP vs Serra first fight. The Montreal show was over a year after Serra won the title, the UFC don't book that far in advance!

I know it wasn't set, but after GSP vs Hughes II, as Dana put the belt around GSP's waste, he said that they were gonna have the third fight in Montreal.
    GSP went mental at the thought.

It was never official, but it was at least partially planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

You know Matt Hughes well? You know about his charity work? You know about him volunteering time to go build schools in Mexico?

I hope your not basing those assumptions on the editing job Spike did on that season of TUF.

RNCFAN wrote: »
    You know Matt Hughes well? You know about his charity work? You know about him volunteering time to go build schools in Mexico?

I hope your not basing those assumptions on the editing job Spike did on that season of TUF.

Have you read his book? Hughes is about as Redneck as they come and he is also a hypocrit. On a professional level , yeah he was a fantastic fighter and had a great career but personally he is an ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

As great a fighter as hughes is, he mostly comes across as a complete redneck dick in his book and whenever he is in front of a camera.

Saying that though, I have a friend from that part of the world that trained with him at militich and said he was real cool in person.. Its a bit difficult for us to make a fair assumption on the guy when we dont really know him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

stevemc01 wrote: »
    Have you read his book? Hughes is about as Redneck as they come

Very ture, all you have to do is listen to his theme song (Country folks can survive) to know that. :)

RNCFAN wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused:

Rednecks can't do charity work?

What has that got to do with anything.
    I know that Matt hughes is a redneck, cause I've followed his career for near a decade, read dozens of interviews with him, read his book, seen a documentary on him, and have ears and eyes in my head!
    Have you read his quotes on Canada?
    (In a Canadian newspaper I may add, not Spike.)
    Well, if you look back at history, I don't think Canada's had big wars or anything like that. They're not a violent country, can we say that? Would you agree?"

You've done your bit. Well I'm from America and I think we're fighters, as a country. Look where we're at, we're all over. That's what I was talking about."

I don't see you guys venturing out trying to help the world out, we'll say that,"

Georges is French and the French didn't make war with us. They don't have a real warrior spirit. They don't have any heart. So the fight is going to be easy. Georges is going to give up because of that."

Now that my friend, is a redneck.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a redneck.
    It's not a derogatory slur, and most of them are proud of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He will probably cut to 155 after the Hughes fight. He would be competitive there.

He will probably cut to 155 after the Hughes fight. He would be competitive there.

He would be, but I don't think he could hang with some of the challengers there.

I'd say that he's a step bellow Sherk/Griffin/Huerta/KenFlo etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He would be, but I don't think he could hang with some of the challengers there.

I'd say that he's a step bellow Sherk/Griffin/Huerta/KenFlo etc.

I'd say he could beat those fighters you posted but could never get the gold as long as Penn is there.

• Advertisement

Theres some good fights for him at 155 if he drops.

As long as the cut doesnt bother him he can definitely be competitive at that weight too.

Id like to see him against kenflo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I actually think Serra will give up fighting to concentrate on coaching. But I think it'll depend on the result of the Hughes fight. If he gets slaughtered I think he'll retire. Both of them could retire to be honest.

I actually think Serra will give up fighting to concentrate on coaching. But I think it'll depend on the result of the Hughes fight. If he gets slaughtered I think he'll retire. Both of them could retire to be honest.
    true.

Its kinda hard to judge serra lately as we have seen so little of him. He could come back and suck or maybe he'll put a few wins together.

He seems like a cool guy and a good coach though, so hopefully he does well in whichever path he follows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Hughes said on TUF that he only had a couple of fights left in him and that was before the Alves fight.

Hughes said on TUF that he only had a couple of fights left in him and that was before the Alves fight.

I think it was b4 the last fight with GSP too. I think he is just waiting for the Serra fight and that will be the end for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

i think serra has got a career ahead of him if he beats Hughes. i think if he loses he would retire but a win might get him back in fighting spirit. i think Serra has great ground work but may have a bit of a cocky attitude sometimes. but hey if he needs it....

p to the e wrote: »
    i think serra has got a career ahead of him if he beats Hughes. i think if he loses he would retire but a win might get him back in fighting spirit. i think Serra has great ground work but may have a bit of a cocky attitude sometimes. but hey if he needs it....

Serra's nearing in on 35.
    Whatever way you look at it, most of his career is still behind him.

Advertisement