Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pianists.

Options
  • 06-01-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

After Mad Hatter mentioned some pianists in the thread about declining sales, I thought it might be interesting to discuss our favourite pianists, as I don't think we have done in a while.

Since Rubinstein, Gould and Sokolov were mentioned...

I am a big fan of Rubinstein's playing, though most of my pianist friends dislike his playing. Gould of course is one of my favourites, and we've discussed him to death in the past. Sokolov is a new one on me, and I am currently investigating him on Youtube.

Brendel has to be my overall favourite pianist, despite the fact that what he does really well is a relatively small corner of the repertoire. Still, if I wanted to be any living pianist, I'd be him. Useless piece of information: yesterday was his 78th birthday.

Recently I've investigated Ivo Pogorelich, whose playing I rather like. I've listened to him playing Mozart, Liszt and Scriabin so far. Really love the Mozart, a bit unsure about the Liszt...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Doshea3 wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Rubinstein's playing, though most of my pianist friends dislike his playing. Gould of course is one of my favourites, and we've discussed him to death in the past. Sokolov is a new one on me, and I am currently investigating him on Youtube.

Sokolov was introduced to me by a friend (the same one, in fact, who introduced me to Rubinstein - and Rubinstein's Chopin is the only Chopin as far as I'm concerned), who described him as the anti-Gould. He never recorded in the studio; only played live, which is why a lot of people haven't heard of him. He made the single best recording of Prokofiev 7 I've ever heard - it leaves all others (even Richter!) in the dust. His second movement is particularly powerful, enough so that he has to brush away a tear before he begins the third.

Most of the Brendel I know is Mozart and Liszt, both of whom he does extremely well, but I don't know if I'd call him a favourite pianist, as he's never really stuck out in my mind. Any suggested remedies, Doshea?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Sokolov was introduced to me by a friend (the same one, in fact, who introduced me to Rubinstein - and Rubinstein's Chopin is the only Chopin as far as I'm concerned), who described him as the anti-Gould.

I listened to a bit of Sokolov. I really don't know what to make of his Bach. I dislike most Bach on piano, with notable exceptions. I rather liked the Scriabin and Beethoven I listened to however.

As for Rubinstein's Chopin being the only Chopin—that's very interesting, as I have a friend who is a real pianist-fan (though not a musician himself) who saw Rubinstein live years ago and said that after hearing him play Chopin he could never listen to anyone else, and while I'm inclined to agree one pianist friend of mine (a Chopin obsessive) can't stand Rubinstein's Chopin and believes it's more about Rubinstein than Chopin.

I was never a fan of Chopin until I discovered that the reason I didn't like it so much was because of how it was played—people perpetuate the idea that to be "Chopinesque" is something special and far-removed from normal piano-playing, and that you have to take certain liberties with the score in order to play in the correct style.

I don't play Chopin, but I've argued with people before about interpretative affectations that I can't understand, and they insist that it's part of "the style". Did Chopin himself not dislike how people played his compositions?

Anyway. This brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Brendel. I recently heard his recordings of some of the Chopin Polonaises (the only Chopin he has recorded), and while they are not the greatest compositions in the world, Brendel's take on them is fascinating—very literal, and very Germanic. Which is what you'd expect from Brendel, I suppose. But still, it was a welcome change from the sort of Chopin I'm used to hearing.

Things I like Brendel playing: Liszt, Beethoven. Mozart less so, but then again I haven't actually listened to that much of his Mozart (as he's not a composer I enjoy listening to much—though I love to play Mozart). Brendel's Liszt upsets Lisztians because it's not "Lisztian"—whatever that is. It's not showy, noisy, overwrought and exaggerated the way some pianists play Liszt, which so many people assume is the "correct" way.

Brendel's Beethoven has to be the best. I won't try to argue this point—just listen to his more recent (say, 1980s) Beethoven recordings and see if you can criticise it. Some people say that it's just a dull and conventional take on Beethoven, but I think you can hear in Brendel's playing how much he understands the composer—particularly in the late sonatas.

Doshea3 wrote: »
    I listened to a bit of Sokolov. I really don't know what to make of his Bach. I dislike most Bach on piano, with notable exceptions. I rather liked the Scriabin and Beethoven I listened to however.

There's a baroque composer whose name I criminally can't remember (after two days trying! :( ) who he plays as an encore in one of his DVD concerts - and he makes the piano sound like a harpsichord. It's quite stunning.
    As for Rubinstein's Chopin being the only Chopin—that's very interesting, as I have a friend who is a real pianist-fan (though not a musician himself) who saw Rubinstein live years ago and said that after hearing him play Chopin he could never listen to anyone else, and while I'm inclined to agree one pianist friend of mine (a Chopin obsessive) can't stand Rubinstein's Chopin and believes it's more about Rubinstein than Chopin.

The thing about Rubinstein is I really think he's the only pianist who really 'got' Chopin. Everyone else seems to play it as this sentimental muddle - Rubinstein's is noble and poised and perfectly formed, but never gooey. (the friend who introduced me says that this is something to do with their both being Polish.)
    I was never a fan of Chopin until I discovered that the reason I didn't like it so much was because of how it was played—people perpetuate the idea that to be "Chopinesque" is something special and far-removed from normal piano-playing, and that you have to take certain liberties with the score in order to play in the correct style.

I don't play Chopin, but I've argued with people before about interpretative affectations that I can't understand, and they insist that it's part of "the style". Did Chopin himself not dislike how people played his compositions?

I was the same way - I thought I hated Chopin - it turns out I only hated the way it was played. (And now, being a composer and thus requiring some irrational pet-hate, I have to go find some other canon composer to pick on...)
    Anyway. This brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Brendel. I recently heard his recordings of some of the Chopin Polonaises (the only Chopin he has recorded), and while they are not the greatest compositions in the world, Brendel's take on them is fascinating—very literal, and very Germanic. Which is what you'd expect from Brendel, I suppose. But still, it was a welcome change from the sort of Chopin I'm used to hearing.

Things I like Brendel playing: Liszt, Beethoven. Mozart less so, but then again I haven't actually listened to that much of his Mozart (as he's not a composer I enjoy listening to much—though I love to play Mozart). Brendel's Liszt upsets Lisztians because it's not "Lisztian"—whatever that is. It's not showy, noisy, overwrought and exaggerated the way some pianists play Liszt, which so many people assume is the "correct" way.

That's an attitude I hate anyway. I consider all interpretations (even really 'distasteful' ones) valid, and many extreme ones more interesting than the standard fare - particularly given that I'm not fond of Romantic music generally. This may explain why I like Gould so much...
    Brendel's Beethoven has to be the best. I won't try to argue this point—just listen to his more recent (say, 1980s) Beethoven recordings and see if you can criticise it. Some people say that it's just a dull and conventional take on Beethoven, but I think you can hear in Brendel's playing how much he understands the composer—particularly in the late sonatas.

Duly noted - I shall take a listen.

There's a baroque composer whose name I criminally can't remember (after two days trying! :( ) who he plays as an encore in one of his DVD concerts - and he makes the piano sound like a harpsichord. It's quite stunning.

Couperin! That's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I was the same way - I thought I hated Chopin - it turns out I only hated the way it was played.

Hear hear! Rubinstein is the man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement