Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does my car loan work?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have taken a loan out, my first one ever and am unsure of how it works. Basically i took X amount on loan from my credit union, say 10,000. The interest they stated was 6%. I choose to pay it back over 3 years. I thought it would be repaying the 10,000 plus 6% (600). 10600 in total i would be paying back or 295 euro per month.

Whats actually happening is im paying a fixed amount each month, say 270 but what gets taken off the 10,000 i owe varies every month. Some months its 250, others 260, etc. Can someone explain this to me please? Why does it vary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

over 3 years is it not more like 1100 even

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Its 6% per year so. How come the amount deducted off what i owes varies do you know? Thanks.

maybe ring them and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're probably front-loading it, i.e. making you pay back all of the interest first.

If your compounded interest is 1,100, then the aim may be to have that paid back by teh end of year 2 instead of the end of year 3.

What they may say is that every month you'll pay back a fixed % of the outstanding interest and the rest goes on the principle. So let's say you pay back 5% of the outstanding interest per month.

So in month 1, you pay your €270, of which €55 is interest repayable.

So €55 goes on interest and €215 goes on the principle.

Loan outstanding then = €9,785
    Interest outstanding = €1,045

In month 2 then, the interest repayable is €52.25, and €217.75 is paid back against the principle.

Perhaps this is what you're seeing?

would that not cause later payments to reduce?

his seems to go up and down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 poker_pro

I think it's much simpler than you think. Credit unions typically are much more basic than banks. They usually add their interest once a week eg on a monday. Some months have 5 mondays and some have 4. Months with 5 mondays will have more interest added than those with 4. Your loan is not front loaded. The outstanding balance will be reducing over time and this will also cause the interest to reduce...again the 4/5 mondays will apply. Also, CUs tend to have an interest rebate, usually around xmas, where they will refund you a percentage of the interest you have paid over the year...this refund could be in the order 10-15%.....

Advertisement