Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router - Network Setup

Options
  • 06-01-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,

I got a PS3 for Christmas and I keep "failing the NAT Settings" test so I Googled the issue and it seems I have to open some ports / DMZ the PS3 (might sound like I know what I'm talking about here but I don't...).

Anyway, my dear flatmates forgot the Router Username & Password so I'll have to reset it and setup the connection from scratch (which I am not looking forward to AT ALL!).

ISP: NTL Cable (10MB)
    Router: Buffalo AirStation WYR-G54

I rang Chorus/NTL this morning and they confirmed that there were no NTL Username and Password to enter at any stage of the setup. I was relieved as we do not have these... So I've decided to go ahead with the reset as soon as I get home!

Can any of you experts give me some advice that could assist me in carrying out this task successfully? Is it actually hard setting up a wireless connections? I can't afford to mess our Wifi up or my flatmates will have my skin!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hello everybody,

I got a PS3 for Christmas and I keep "failing the NAT Settings" test so I Googled the issue and it seems I have to open some ports / DMZ the PS3 (might sound like I know what I'm talking about here but I don't...).

Anyway, my dear flatmates forgot the Router Username & Password so I'll have to reset it and setup the connection from scratch (which I am not looking forward to AT ALL!).

ISP: NTL Cable (10MB)
    Router: Buffalo AirStation WYR-G54

I rang Chorus/NTL this morning and they confirmed that there were no NTL Username and Password to enter at any stage of the setup. I was relieved as we do not have these... So I've decided to go ahead with the reset as soon as I get home!

Can any of you experts give me some advice that could assist me in carrying out this task successfully? Is it actually hard setting up a wireless connections? I can't afford to mess our Wifi up or my flatmates will have my skin!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Usually fairly straight forward with UPC, just plug the network cable from the cable modem into the WAN port on the router. This should then use DHCP to collect an IP from UPC for the router. After that you'll need to secure the wireless properly with WPA2 preferably and a good long random, non-dictionary password.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Spear wrote: »
    Usually fairly straight forward with UPC, just plug the network cable from the cable modem into the WAN port on the router. This should then use DHCP to collect an IP from UPC for the router. After that you'll need to secure the wireless properly with WPA2 preferably and a good long random, non-dictionary password.
    That sounds fairly straight forward! Although I'm in two minds about switching to WPA as WEP is far easier to implement (thus rendering it fairly insecure...).

I didn't have time to reset the router yesterday and I was reluctant to do so anyway as boards.ie was down (i.e. no help if I screw it up)!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In fact wep is not easier to implement. With wpa you can just set your own password save your settings and exit. Whats difficult about that?

dub45 wrote: »
    In fact wep is not easier to implement. With wpa you can just set your own password save your settings and exit. Whats difficult about that?
    Well I won't have that "WEP vs. WPA" issue anyway as WPA didn't exist when my router was created so it's WEP only! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well I won't have that "WEP vs. WPA" issue anyway as WPA didn't exist when my router was created so it's WEP only! :D

Are you sure?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1821987,00.asp

• Advertisement

Are you sure?
    Nope! Not at all actually! :rolleyes:
    Unless this is false advertising I was wrong about WPA... :o

Thanks for the info Dub45!

Advertisement