Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

should I return it?

• 06-01-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi folks

I had a bit of an impulse splurge in the currys sale a couple of days ago. I had been looking at buying a large lcd for a couple of months and when I saw some of the prices in the sales I was tempted to splurge

anyway I went out to Currys and ending up buying one of these - Samsung LE40A456 LCD TV 40 inch (101 cm) 16/9, "HD ready" Freeview, HDMI x3 HDTV-Ready LCD TV TV/HD Combo . It cost 649euro.

I'm pretty happy with it for the price I paid. I compromised on the full hd by reasoning that I dont have a hd tv signal and I dont have a bluray player yet and 649 was already stretching the budget.

however I then wandered onto here and read another thread mentioning richersounds.co.uk where I have spotted this LG-37LG6000 http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct/LG-37LG6000 This looks to be a great tv for a great price of 634euro.

so have I made a mistake? as far as I know I could return the samsung to currys within 14 days for a full refund couldnt I? what would you do? would you return the samsung or is it worth the hassle?

only thing I dont know about richersounds in the uk is, what the delivery charge amounts to usually.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

samsung would be a better brand than lg. and your samsung is bigger... why do you want to change for the lg??

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

well the lg strikes me as a much better quality tv.

the samsung colour contrast ratio is 10000:1 whereas the lg is 50000:1. also the lg is full HD wheres the samsung is hd ready. I saw a phillips 32 inch out in currys where the contrast ratio was 30000:1 and the picture quality was superb so I'm presuming the LG would be better than that again?

The reason I have niggling doubts about the samsung is down to the fact that the picture quality when watching TV is fairly mediocre. if you look closely the picture is a little grainy and hazey. I have chorus UPC digital in Limerick. I 'm not sure whether this is down to the tv signal or the TV or both, I suppose I have to do a little more reading on that

its a case of much wants more really i suppose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

The fact that one is full HD is not really the end of the world given that you're not set up for HD sources, as per your own post. I'd also say that comparing contrast ratios based on marketing blurb is not really a good way to decide on a tv. Standard def tv from cable shouldn't look too bad on your tv, - are you using a set-top box, if so are you using a decent scart lead or is it connected to an aerial lead ?

I'd hesitate to advise you to swap for a different tv which you haven't seen. If you're truly unhappy with the picture quality from the one you've bought and if you have a 14-day no-quibble return option, the maybe your best bet would be to return the TV and spend some time looking at different models, doing some research online before deciding on which one you want.

Ritz.

yeah I'm using a standard chorus digital set top box, connected using a scart that I probably for free with a dvd player years ago.

Maybe the poor picture quality is down to Chorus? has there been any other threads with people complaining about Chorus?

in an effort to explain waht I' talking about, it's probably most noticeable when watching a football game, there is a slight but noticeable blur around the players when its showing the panned out view of the pitch from the stand camera. even in other tv programs, especially in the black areas you can see a pixelated blur or haziness.

maybe I'm just picky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

another point of view, that site you linked has it for like 499 new, if you can get that up north it would come out at about 550. if you were looking for saving money.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,469 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi folks

I had a bit of an impulse splurge in the currys sale a couple of days ago. I had been looking at buying a large lcd for a couple of months and when I saw some of the prices in the sales I was tempted to splurge

anyway I went out to Currys and ending up buying one of these - Samsung LE40A456 LCD TV 40 inch (101 cm) 16/9, "HD ready" Freeview, HDMI x3 HDTV-Ready LCD TV TV/HD Combo . It cost 649euro.

I'm pretty happy with it for the price I paid. I compromised on the full hd by reasoning that I dont have a hd tv signal and I dont have a bluray player yet and 649 was already stretching the budget.

however I then wandered onto here and read another thread mentioning richersounds.co.uk where I have spotted this LG-37LG6000 http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct/LG-37LG6000 This looks to be a great tv for a great price of 634euro.

so have I made a mistake? as far as I know I could return the samsung to currys within 14 days for a full refund couldnt I? what would you do? would you return the samsung or is it worth the hassle?

only thing I dont know about richersounds in the uk is, what the delivery charge amounts to usually.

thanks

Jack, John Mc from Richersounds here - the 37LG6000 is a cracking set but as The Ritz says - your own TV is also a good TV and 1080P/full HD is not the end of the world.

To be fair to Currys - and much as I would love your business! I don't think that they are obliged to refund your TV purchase - why don't you ask them to get you the LG6000 as they do stock it?

Also as per the Ritz - I would be very wary of basing your decision on contrast ratio figures quoted by manufacturers - they are just one aspect of a TV's performance and even at that the quoted figures are frequently a load of .....!

Finally to answer another query on this thread - delivery for Boardies on TV's from Richer is £19.95 countrywide

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

thanks for all the advice folks,

I've done a bit of reading and seemingly theres a picture quality difference between sky and chorus so maybe thats part of my problem.

I'm fairly content with the samsung now that one or two of ye have described it as a decent set. As long as the TV is half decent quality I can hopefully improve the signal (by getting sky) down the line and probably build a HTPC with a bluray drive to get the best out of it all.

thanks for the reply John Mc, I'll be checking ye out the next time I have an itch to blow a few quid on something like this again. 20pound delivery is pretty good.

Advertisement