Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with your pet when you go traveling....

Options
  • 06-01-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

Quick question. I have a two year old dog and have recently decided to go traveling for a year in April. If i dont do it now i never will. As of yet i dont have any arrangements made for my little mutt, and i was hoping someone might have some helpful suggestions, or have been in a similar situation to this and can give advice.

I'll feel terrible leaving him for a year, but its time i saw some of then world before its no longer an option to up and leave.

The main thing is that i only want to be away from him for a year. And would 100% want him when im back.

Are there any alternatives to hasseling your family into taking him. Especially when i know that they are not his biggest fans???

Any opinions appreciated!!!!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's an awful pity you're in this situation, unfortunately it's a common one. People think they are settled enough to get a pet then realise they're not and want to travel or move to another country etc. Ends up upsetting the owner more then the animal I think.

Firstly, I would suggest that you put the animal first in this situation. It will be traumatic for him to settle into another family, but nothing too bad, without sounding callous, he will get over it. Especially if it's to a loving home, which I'm sure you would insist on. By the time you get back after a year, he will have happily settled and it will be another trauma for him to leave his new family. So my first suggestion would be to think about rehoming him permanantly.

Failing that, maybe someone you know could take him for the year, if you pay pet insurance, cover feeding costs etc? If it's someone you know well, maybe he could start with spending time in the new house, first with you, then a few hours without you, then overnight etc.

If neither of these are an option, maybe you could look for a foster home for him. Although please keep in mind that by taking a foster home, you may be taking up room a dog on death row could do with.

Kennels for a year would cost the earth, and your dog wont get as much attention as he needs (I would imagine)

TBH beyond rehoming him permantly or someone you know taking him, I don't know. If you push him on your family, and they dont want him, both the dog and your family will end up unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Starstream

Hi OP,

Have you figured out what to do with your dog while travelling?
    I'm in the same situation, though it will be a year or so before i go, but I have nowhere to leave my cat. Dunno what to do, would be heartbroken to give her up!
    Do you rent or do you own your own place?

Advertisement