Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Provinces be able to 'loan' players to each other?

• 06-01-2009 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Following on from a point brought up in this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449494

Should the provinces be able to loan players to each other for short periods (anything up to a year)?

Personally I think it's not a bad idea, obviously they're would be questions on how it would be implemented but with the proper restrictions in place do you think it would work?

Comments

They could already be.
    Im sure Leinster have ways of getting back keatley,Carr and possibly the scrumhalf from Ulster(although I think that could be permanent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

cmcsoft wrote: »
    Following on from a point brought up in this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449494

Should the provinces be able to loan players to each other for short periods (anything up to a year)?

Personally I think it's not a bad idea, obviously they're would be questions on how it would be implemented but with the proper restrictions in place do you think it would work?

No it will create a negative situation in my view.

Lets just take for example if this happened.

Leinster, Munster and Ulster started loaning players out to Connacht to gain experience for various reasons. These players turn out to be bloody brilliant and Connacht have their best season ever winning the ML and Challenge Cup. The other provinces notice that these players are extremely good and thus get each one back at the end of the season. Connacht are then left with a mess of a squad since a high % of quaility players are withdrawn. Supports become disillusioned with Connacht and feel its just a puppet and has no real identity. Connacht then experince their worst season going throughout the season not winning one match or winning a bonus point. Coaches resign saying this isnt a creche and they cant put up with players coming and going reguarly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Stev_o wrote: »

Leinster, Munster and Ulster started loaning players out to Connacht to gain experience for various reasons. These players turn out to be bloody brilliant and Connacht have their best season ever winning the ML and Challenge Cup. The other provinces notice that these players are extremely good and thus get each one back at the end of the season. Connacht are then left with a mess of a squad since a high % of quaility players are withdrawn. Supports become disillusioned with Connacht and feel its just a puppet and has no real identity. Connacht then experince their worst season going throughout the season not winning one match or winning a bonus point. Coaches resign saying this isnt a creche and they cant put up with players coming and going reguarly.

Good point but what if there were certain restrictions in place, you can only take on 3 loan players per season and max 1 from each Province? Just an example of how it could be maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Stev_o wrote: »

Quite a dramatic way of looking at it don't ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Id say any connacht fan would tear your arm off if offered a squad capable of winning an ML. I think its a good idea, but restrictions should be placed on it. I thought the idea of Connacht was as a development side anyway?

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Id say any connacht fan would tear your arm off if offered a squad capable of winning an ML. I think its a good idea, but restrictions should be placed on it. I thought the idea of Connacht was as a development side anyway?

?

So if you sent the likes of fitz,earls and kearney back a few years ago they would be doing what?

Developing them.

?

So if you sent the likes of fitz,earls and kearney back a few years ago they would be doing what?

Developing them.

Why would you need to further develop a player of Heineken Cup standard at Connacht?

Did no harm to Paul Warwick, Jerry Flannery, Tony Buckley, Gavin Duffy, Johnny O'Connor, Bernard jackman, Victor Costello?

Why not give players who are not quite H Cup Standard yet a spell in Connacht?

Why would you need to further develop a player of Heineken Cup standard at Connacht?

Did no harm to Paul Warwick, Jerry Flannery, Tony Buckley, Gavin Duffy, Johnny O'Connor, Bernard jackman, Victor Costello?

Why not give players who are not quite H Cup Standard yet a spell in Connacht?

Note that I said "back a few years ago".Obviously all are too important now but they werent heineken cup standard 2 years ago.

Note that I said "back a few years ago".Obviously all are too important now but they werent heineken cup standard 2 years ago.

I dont really understand the point you are making? The three you mentioned were high standard Academy players. Each one expected to represent Ireland because every opportunity was invested into them. There should be a scout looking for AIL players for example at a young age who have the potential but are not quite there yet. Or people who just miss out on Academies in Munster, Leinster and Ulster? The players in the Leinster Schools cup who just stop playing.

Why not set up NUIG Rugby with players who could develop them into a senior club side. Could they not be a Connacht Academy?

I dont really understand the point you are making? The three you mentioned were high standard Academy players. Each one expected to represent Ireland because every opportunity was invested into them. There should be a scout looking for AIL players for example at a young age who have the potential but are not quite there yet. Or people who just miss out on Academies in Munster, Leinster and Ulster? The players in the Leinster Schools cup who just stop playing.

Why not set up NUIG Rugby with players who could develop them into a senior club side. Could they not be a Connacht Academy?

I misunderstood,I agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I have no problem loan players but I think it's a huge insult/disgrace to Connaught fans/players/coaches etc to be told they have be used as some kind of academy for Leinster and Munster.

If Leinster and Munster are so big on developing young Irish talent they should stop spunking all their cash on foreign imports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I have no problem loan players but I think it's a huge insult/disgrace to Connaught fans/players/coaches etc to be told they have be used as some kind of academy for Leinster and Munster.

If Leinster and Munster are so big on developing young Irish talent they should stop spunking all their cash on foreign imports.

I agree 100%. I don't think Connaught should be seen just as a place for developing young players. I think we've seen this year in the ML that at home they're pretty formidable.

But I think that a loan system could benefit all provinces. eg if a province got to the knockout stages of the HC and a few players in a certain position got injured they could take a loan player. It could work to everyones favour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

cmcsoft wrote: »
    But I think that a loan system could benefit all provinces. eg if a province got to the knockout stages of the HC and a few players in a certain position got injured they could take a loan player. It could work to everyones favour

I don't know how well that would go down with HC teams from other nations, if Irish HC teams are able to pick from outside just their own squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

You wouldnt be able to do it with the HC anyway:
    2. Eligibility of Players
    (i) each club shall nominate a squad of up to 38 players. A minimum of 10 of the
    players nominated by the club must be capable of playing in front row forward
    positions. All players must, from 18 September 2008, be fully and properly
    registered with their club and Union and available to play for the club from
    that date.

(ii) a club may nominate a maximum of 22 players and a minimum of 19 players for
    each match. Included amongst such players must be a minimum of five players
    who can play in front row forward positions and who are suitably trained and
    experienced.

(iii) after the completion of the Pool stages, clubs involved in the knock-out stages
    may nominate three additional players. One of these players must be qualified
    to play in a front row position and the other two players can play in any position.
    These additional players must be fully and properly registered by 26 March, 2009.
    Clubs must ensure that these players have not been nominated in a match squad
    with another club for the Heineken Cup or European Challenge Cup tournaments
    during the current season.

(iv) each club may select one additional player during the course of the Pool stages.
    The nominated additional player will replace a registered member of the club’s
    squad and no club will exceed 38 players at any time during the Pool stages.
    The de-registered player may return to the squad at a later date during the Pool
    stages and replace the additional player. Clubs must ensure that the additional
    player has not been nominated in a match squad with another club for the
    Heineken Cup or European Challenge Cup tournaments during the current season.

The additional player will be eligible to play in the next round of Pool matches if
    his nomination is received by ERC by noon on the Wednesday before the match.
    The player must have at least a three-month contract with the Club. If a additional
    player is selected by a Club after Round 4 and the Club subsequently qualifies for a
    quarter-final the Club will only be allowed to register a further two players for the
    knock-out stages.

(v) each club is permitted a maximum of two “foreign” players in any one match squad.

All of the above would essentially screw the idea for HC anyhow.

Advertisement