Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take to rent places out Now?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I have a house I'm going to rent out. Does it take much longer nowadays? I'm going through an Agency?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

how long is a peice of string.

If it's in a good area with good commuting routes etc and is priced correctly it could be rented out in in a few hours

if it's not it could take months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

3 Bed Semi Dundrum. Really 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Glacier wrote: »
    3 Bed Semi Dundrum. Really 3 months?

I didn't say 3 months.

But if it's not priced right it could be 6 months, 12 months who knows.

have a look on daft at options in your area.

try match like for like.

take good photo's of the house.

And drop it a bit lower than the rest and hope for the best.

6 months Seriously? Does anyone else know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Are you an idiot? You've been told it only depends on your price. Thats the only factor. Prepare to lose 30% to what you could have got 1 year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 demurph

according to irishpropertywatch.com...

The average time on the market for a rental property in Ireland is 52 days.

If its in good condition and a desirable area then price it below anything similar in the area. Keep dropping the price each week until you get a bite.

(my 2 cents worth)

Murph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

The things you should focus on are:

1. How much you want to get for it & what the average rent is?
    2. the type of people you want in it. (long term employed? contract workers?)
    3. How long are you looking to rent for? (longer than just a year?)

use propertywatch and google for propertybee (install this into firefox to keep track of advertised rents).

You will rent a house quicker if you put pictures on daft than if not.
    you will rent quicker if you undercut your local competition.
    You will rent quicker if you don't care what type of people the tenants are.
    You may well rent quicker if you don't use an agency (if you have the time to do it yourelf).

I'm going with an Agency. Is January a better time?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Just fyi when I expressed interest in renting a house from an agency they totally ignored me. I noticed the house was on daft for quite a few weeks. I dont know why they didnt return my calls, emails as im a professional and would have good references. Think you could do just as well managing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OP, just look at similar gaffs in Daft and price at the lower end and it will shift fast enough.
    If you have Firefox installed i'd recommend adding the "property bee" plug-in, that will give you an idea of what's been on the market and for how long. Some of the high priced stuff just sits there for months and months with the owner dropping by a hundred or so per month until they eventually meet a price the market will pay and looses out huge amounts of rent due to their obstinacy as a result..
    If you get no calls within a day or so of putting the ad up, its too high priced, simple as.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

DJDC wrote: »
    Are you an idiot? You've been told it only depends on your price. Thats the only factor. Prepare to lose 30% to what you could have got 1 year ago.

DJDC- warning for personal abuse.
    If you disagree with what someone posts- refute the post, do not attack the poster.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RollerGirl

There are 10 3 bed semis for rent on Daft in Dundrum ranging from €1400 - €2400.

The one for €1400 was detected by Property Bee on Dec 15th and is still available.

One for €1700 appears to have been detected on Sept 2nd and is still available.. over 4 months....

If you want a short vacancy period, price below €1400..undercut all competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

lower your rent.
    Assuming it takes 3 months - calculate 2 months rent - divide by 12, and subtract that from the amount you are asking for.
    The lower your rent the more likly someone will rent. And low rent is better than no rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Glacier if I understand correctly from your other posts, you have no mortgage and little money problems, and you plan on travelling the world, so I would rent it on the cheap so you have a better chance of getting a quick, long term tenant.

One of them actually told me that it's been really busy since Christmas & it could gp in 2-3 weeks. I know a lot depends on condition & things, but has anyone rented lately?

Glacier wrote: »
    One of them actually told me that it's been really busy since Christmas & it could gp in 2-3 weeks. I know a lot depends on condition & things, but has anyone rented lately?

Glacier, just try to rent it out. Stop asking questions and put it on the market.

No, it's just I'm not sure whether to believe them or not

Well, you have to rent it out anyway, right? You are travelling the world soon...?

The sooner you put it on the market the sooner you can get a tenant!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Rent it yourself and have it cheaper than other houses in your area, much cheaper.

I'm just curious, though. Is nobody renting out at the moment? Is the market good?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

People are renting out.

The market is good (for renters).
    The market is **** (for landlords with empty properties asking rent that does not reflect the 2009 market rate).

Advertisement