Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beginners photography course recommendations?

• 06-01-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

apologies if already covered, but I have my camera about 4 or 5 months and really I am still taking multiple shots(almost trial and error) to get the photograph looking close to how I want it. Can anyone recommend a course to cover this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Have a look at some of the courses being offered by the institute of photography.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Asking here is the best way to learn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Where are you located?

We have a 10 week course enrolling now at Dublin Camera Club for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

smok wrote: »
    apologies if already covered, but I have my camera about 4 or 5 months and really I am still taking multiple shots(almost trial and error) to get the photograph looking close to how I want it. Can anyone recommend a course to cover this?

Starting this one in a few weeks time http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Join your local camera club if you have one, or, alternatively, come along to the next boards outing if you're near one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 brendash

Are the beginners classes full? Bought a digital camera recently and would love to do a photography course

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have just come in from the enrolment night for the DCC Course.

We had to turn people away after overfilling both classes. Seems to be a lot of people wanting to do Photography Courses right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I am still taking multiple shots(almost trial and error) to get the photograph looking close to how I want it.

Seriously...i wouldnt worry about that! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭bongoboy

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have just come in from the enrolment night for the DCC Course.

We had to turn people away after overfilling both classes. Seems to be a lot of people wanting to do Photography Courses right now.

Yep, I was one of those as well ...
    I understood it was turn up & enrol on the night.
    Any chance of putting on another night to cater for the demand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I am still taking multiple shots(almost trial and error) to get the photograph looking close to how I want it.

That's the beauty of digital so don't worry about it.

However, make sure you look at the data afterwards to see what settings didn't work and then the details for the shots that did. This is a great way to learn. It is also said that asking questions on here is a great way to get info but to be honest learning the absolute basics will help you much quicker.

Another tip as stupid as it sounds is to read the camera manual. You don't mention which camera you have but the Canon one has examples of shots and the effects in the image by using aperture priority or shutter priority etc etc.

IOP course is a good one alright, cant comment on the others as don't know them.

Good luck!! ;)

• Advertisement

bongoboy wrote: »
    Yep, I was one of those as well ...
    I understood it was turn up & enrol on the night.
    Any chance of putting on another night to cater for the demand?

There will be another course run in September. If you read the information it does say that early booking is reccomended.

The demand is huge at the moment. We normally take 50 per class but due to all the enrolments through the post the 6.30pm class had 60 in it. We now have the same number in the 8.30pm class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭pawrick

anyone know of some other places in Dublin City Centre to go for beginners -some time sooner then September? will continue looking myself but no harm asking I guess - thanks in advance

You will learn a lot from asking questions on here. If you learn better by demonstration & talking to people one to one you could always join a Camera Club. There are a few around. You are welcome to drop into our weekly Tuesday night meeting at 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

latchiko wrote: »
    Have a look at some of the courses being offered by the institute of photography.

Have to agree here. They provide very good courses, with great notes and plenty of practical work.

Well worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

Does anyone know of any courses or camera clubs in Kildare as I live in Athy and Dublin courses can be a little bit of a trek after work, but I would love to learn to use my camera properly.

I have an EOS 300D with 18-55mm and 90-300mm lenses.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fw

the joinery on Arbour hill in Dublin 7 run weekend introduction to digital slr classes. They have a website at www.thejoinery.org

Advertisement