Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this considered cruel?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is a vegetarian, and like me, she’s against animal cruelty. However, her new boyfriend got her a notebook from an animal charity, which I thought was sweet. Apparently they try and get homes for the animals, and if they can’t, they hold onto them until they pass away from natural causes. Then she revealed that once the animals have died, they use them to make those products, including her notebook. She keeps insisting it’s not cruel, but I can’t help but think it is. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The animal is dead .... it would only be cruel if they artificially animated their bodies to make funny videos for youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    She keeps insisting it’s not cruel, but I can’t help but think it is. Any opinions?

Why is it cruel? They don't kill the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe I'm being thick here, but how can you make a notebook from a dead animal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I can see why some people would find it a little distasteful, personally I don't. But it's definetly not cruel by any common definition of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Alun wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being thick here, but how can you make a notebook from a dead animal?

Skin them and use their fur to make the notebook.
    Personally I find that kind of weird, I mean why would you do that, I personally wouldn't buy a notebook made from a dead cat or dog. It's not cruel obviously since the animal is already dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Dont know about cruel but certainly of poor taste.

Is this not the very thing they are fighting against? Granted they are not killing the animals but they are still using their bodies to the same end and for human use.

Are they making a profit off these items? I still wouldnt wear a fur coat even i knew the animal has passed away of natural causes.

Its weird if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

This story sounds very strange to me. Is it a notebook noticably made from an animal? What animals does it come from? I've never heard of a charity doing things this weird, what's the name of the charity?

I'm sure an animal charity that engages in this sort of thing would at least have caused some controversy, but I can't find anything about charities that make products from animals they take in.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Actually I'm beginning to think my friend was lying, she does that sometimes, don't ask me why she would lie about something like this. I can imagine such a charity would be illegal. I'll find out the name of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

This sounds very far fetched. Animal charity skins dead animals in care in order to make furry notebooks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i think you friend is talking verbel poo poo!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    Then she revealed that once the animals have died, they use them to make those products, including her notebook.

Surely they'd be better off getting the animals to make these products before they died?...

sorry:o

Advertisement