Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - who pays ?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, does the Landlord or the tenant pay. A tv has been provided in the house but there is nothing in the lease about a tv licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ask the landlord if a licence has been purchased for the property.
    Otherwise, I think it's usually the tenant if not stated in the lease (it was for me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Whiskeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

My understanding (when I used to rent and be a landlord) was that the person who owns the tv pays the license? I could be wrong though.

Not really sure what to do. I am in charge of renting out my Mam's house to pay towards her nursing home fees so money is tight. It was never an issue with the previous tenants, I just presumed they paid. New tenants are wondering what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

The Tenant pays cos they are using the TV in the house, doesnt matter who own TV.

In my experience, there was 3 of us/friends in one house and two TVs belonging to the other tenants not landlord own.
    They share TV with me ( I didnt have a TV) so we split the cost of the licence between us.

The TV Licence inspector man came to our rent house when it was due so that the other clue who should pay licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Number one

Similar to esb or any other bills the license payment is your responsibiliy as occupier of the property, if you dont want to pay the license get rid of the tv.

Unlike management fees (which the landlord pays) a tv license is a luxury of choice.

The landlord is being generous in providing a television for you. If you challenge him on the issue he'll simply remove it. Be glad you got it and pay the fee, a lot of people are getting caught lately.

Thanks everyone,
    I will tell the tenants to look after it themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jos28 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone,
    I will tell the tenants to look after it themselves.

If they don't want to pay- offer to remove the television from the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yea, if there is a tv in the house you must pay the licence, just having it off and plugged out even does not count [which is mental - but its the law!]

Advertisement