Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI 4870 with D975XBX

Options
  • 06-01-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm looking to replace my ATI 1950XTX graphics card with an ATI 4870. Apparently I need two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors. Does my Intel D975XBX have these?
    Would the 512MB version of the card do for up to a 22inch monitor, or am I better off getting the 1GB version?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I'm looking to replace my ATI 1950XTX graphics card with an ATI 4870. Apparently I need two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors. Does my Intel D975XBX have these?
    Would the 512MB version of the card do for up to a 22inch monitor, or am I better off getting the 1GB version?

Thanks in advance.

those two connectors are on power supplies NOT the motherboard.

You should get power converters in the box with the card to convert from a moles power connector to a 6 pin if you are short on 6 pin connectors on your power supply.

If you have a relatively modern power supply you should have at least one of the required 6 pin connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cork-spotters

Thanks for that.
    My PSU is relatively modern though I'm not sure what model. I'll have to rip the computer open in a while and see if I can find it.
    It's an Alienware 700W Area-51 7500 November 2006 era one.

Any opinion on the card? Would I see a noticeable increase in performance over my 1950XTX?

I opened up the computer earlier and this is my PSU: Hipro HP-W700WC3.
    This only has one 6 pin PCI-e connector. I'll have to open it up again now to see if there's a free molex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

ul need two molexs to go into one 6pin.

order one of these when you buy youre card if you dont already have one somewhere.
    x1900__6pinpcie2molex_118.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ul need two molexs to go into one 6pin.

order one of these when you buy youre card if you dont already have one somewhere.
    x1900__6pinpcie2molex_118.jpg

Chances are that you'll get one with the gpu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Any opinion on the card? Would I see a noticeable increase in performance over my 1950XTX?

Huge.

You should be able to play any game going at high gettings @ 1650 x 1080.
    Currently have one myself with a 22" monitor and it does the job very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I have the same card, just beware that it is very noisy when it gets hot which it does quite easily.

This machine sounds like a refridgerated warehouse anyway so the noise isn't a huge concern!
    I took a look again and there appears to be two free molex connectors on the same line that both my hard drives ae connected to. Would these suit for the above connector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

This machine sounds like a refridgerated warehouse anyway so the noise isn't a huge concern!
    I took a look again and there appears to be two free molex connectors on the same line that both my hard drives ae connected to. Would these suit for the above connector?

nope.

each of the inputs into the converter above have to be from a seperate line. ie, different cables from the power suply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 campkillyoursel

Hey!
    I just got the 4870 out-of-the box. My psu is a 550W piece but the confusing part is the same 2x75W connector. Yes I can take the two and hook them up with separate lines from PSU but there is another slot on the card exactly the same standing next to it that another cable from psu plugs into. Is it enough if I take only the connector and plug the two in or do I have to take the third piece from psu and plug it into the slot on the card (it looks exactly like the single end of the connector).
    Hope it makes sense :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Hey!
    I just got the 4870 out-of-the box. My psu is a 550W piece but the confusing part is the same 2x75W connector. Yes I can take the two and hook them up with separate lines from PSU but there is another slot on the card exactly the same standing next to it that another cable from psu plugs into. Is it enough if I take only the connector and plug the two in or do I have to take the third piece from psu and plug it into the slot on the card (it looks exactly like the single end of the connector).
    Hope it makes sense :o

If you mean an extra power connector on the mainboard for the graphics slot, then yeh I would guess you would need to have it plugged in - you can check with your mainboard manufacturer to confirm.

Advertisement