Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deffering

• 06-01-2009 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi, i got called to gon down on feb 2nd. Thing is im working in a job till 1st of july and i also have some exams to sit in may so i can get my degree. What do people reckon the chances of getting a defferal are and would it be wise with reduced numbers going down. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Being honest your offer is like gold dust at the moment. If AGS is the career you really want grab that offer with both hands. They are very good at accommodating people who need a pass to sit an exams. Just my opinion but with the way the economy is and the reduced numbers going into Templemore you have to sieze the opportunity when it arises. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Hi, i got called to gon down on feb 2nd. Thing is im working in a job till 1st of july and i also have some exams to sit in may so i can get my degree. What do people reckon the chances of getting a defferal are and would it be wise with reduced numbers going down. Thanks

Get your degree first!! I'm the same as you not finished college till june so I'm hoping to defer till the August intake (if there is one). I know it is tempting to take the offer but the degree would stand to in the long run within AGS. And they will give you the deferral, definitely once and maybe twice depending on your reason and college is a good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Honestly? I'd say you would be mad (understatement!!!!!!) to defer.

Don't know about yourself but I applied last January, that was a 13 month wait until acceptance and with the way things are going now who knows what kind of rate the intakes to Templemore will be at for the forseeable future.

There was an article in the waiting room thread last week from one of the papers saying that intakes past february would be calculated closer to the relevant time - nothing concrete obviously and since last January when I started to keep an eye on this part of the forum there has been rumor after rumor after rumor about intakes being reduced or stopped etc.. theres just no way of knowing.

But that is why I think you would be mad not to accept the offer now. What would you do if intakes were stopped for 6/12/18 months? All you could do is get another job and hope to be called - I was waiting to be called for about 6 months while working my job and it meant I couldn't commit entirely to that job because I knew I would be leaving (still managed to bag a promotion though :D) - and who is to say that if/when you do get offered a position that you won't want to defer again at that time?

Just remember that there is probably 100's of people in the same boat as you waiting for a call to start in Templemore, they will have no problem filling that spot but you will have a problem trying to get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

Right, a serious dilemma. My two cents.

Firstly, Is your Degree part time or full-time? This makes all the difference....

Ring HRM and ask to speak to a Sergeant in HR. (Note his name) Tell him what your predicament is and ask him for his advise.

Be prepared to wait 6 months for another campaign. To be honest they will send 200 at the very least, the are going to have some degree of recruitment. There is not going to be a complete freeze.

Hopefully you will get your degree and get in this year.

a Garda after 17 years service earns 47,083
    a Garda after attestation today earns 27,098.

The government will save 20 Grand on an attested garda verses an almost retired Garda, not exactly expensive to replace.

At least your in the system, I wouldn't like to be waiting for recuitment campaigns. There could be a lot more trying to get in prior to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

Forget what I said. Get your Arse in there as soon as you can.

This Government might even end up pulling Feb yet, take it... forget any other possibilities.

• Advertisement

Ah come on lads!!

Think of it in the long run.

So the opinions for Anxious and the rest of us college students is to
    1. Accept the offer now and drop out of college.
    or
    2. Defer in the hope that another intake will occur in a few months, in the unlikely event that none happen, it will be all back to normal by the end of the year or early next year anyway (to keep up with people retiring etc) so we get in then and have a degree!

By far opinion 2 is the best.

Ah come on lads!!

or
    2. Defer in the hope that another intake will occur in a few months, in the unlikely event that none happen, it will be all back to normal by the end of the year or early next year anyway (to keep up with people retiring etc) so we get in then and have a degree!

Dont forget that this should be the career for most if not the rest of your lives - it's all well and good having a degree under your belt but what does it actually mean?

Nobody knows how long you might have to wait to get in again - if you want to be a Garda for the rest of your life, then take the offer now and f**k the degree!! Obviously its my own opinion only but you would be crazy to turn down the offer now.

How far further will that degree get you over someone who has 3 years more experience on the job than you? Think of it like that and you might not be so inclined to turn down the offer.

Vikings wrote: »
    Dont forget that this should be the career for most if not the rest of your lives - it's all well and good having a degree under your belt but what does it actually mean?

Nobody knows how long you might have to wait to get in again - if you want to be a Garda for the rest of your life, then take the offer now and f**k the degree!! Obviously its my own opinion only but you would be crazy to turn down the offer now.

How far further will that degree get you over someone who has 3 years more experience on the job than you? Think of it like that and you might not be so inclined to turn down the offer.

K with a degree you get more money after the 2 years of training plus it will stand to you if you were going for promotion.

What happens on phase two and some1 realises that the guards isnt for him/her and wants to leave, they'll have the degree to fall back on (and this does happen).

If some1 drops out of college so close to the finish line, just be a waste of 3/4 hard years in college.

If some1 has passed all stages of recruitment they will get in at some stage or another, defer is not the end of the world, even in the current state of ireland.

Viking if you dont mind me asking, have you a college degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Vikings wrote:

A lot of Gardai - and by that I mean the Gardai I've heard talk about it - would say that you are better to do something that will stand to you in civvy street should you leave, retire etc. It's not seen as the job for life that once was*

*well, that meant something a year ago. In the current climate not so much :o

K with a degree you get more money after the 2 years of training plus it will stand to you if you were going for promotion.

What happens on phase two and some1 realises that the guards isnt for him/her and wants to leave, they'll have the degree to fall back on (and this does happen).

If some1 drops out of college so close to the finish line, just be a waste of 3/4 hard years in college.

If some1 has passed all stages of recruitment they will get in at some stage or another, defer is not the end of the world, even in the current state of ireland.

Viking if you dont mind me asking, have you a college degree?

I just can't help but keep coming back to this: you defer now and who knows when the next chance you will get is - so you are left with an unknown wait before you are called down, what do you do then?

Most people who get a degree will try and find work in that area, lets say you then manage to get a job in your field and are working there for 6 months or more - do you leave when you are asked to start again? The OP said he was working a job until July 1st so obviously that is a factor in him not accepting the offer right now.

I just think that if you want a career in the Guards that you would want to start it as soon as possible. Sure you will get paid slightly more if you have a degree, though starting earlier will make up that difference in time too.

I don't have a degree myself, still to this day can't imagine what I would have done in college (and enjoyed) to get a degree. Only degree i'm interested in is the one in Policing from the Guards to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Ah come on lads!!

or

I dont think you'd be left defer for a year, I thought it was 2 intakes max you were allowed for deferal, so you would more or less have to be re examined in the medical and PCT or maybe go through the whole recruitment again.

Jay112 wrote: »
    I dont think you'd be left defer for a year, I thought it was 2 intakes max you were allowed for deferal, so you would more or less have to be re examined in the medical and PCT or maybe go through the whole recruitment again.

Only deferring once and twice max, finished college in june. Spoke to HQ and they said work anyway.

Vikings wrote: »
    so you are left with an unknown wait before you are called down, what do you do then?

What do we do then? Finish college.....
    Be first in the queue for the next intake. Spoke to HQ about this and they have no problem with it.

See you are interested in getting your policing degree and myself and others who wish to defer are interested in getting our degrees from college that we have been working at for over 3 years.

Probably moving away from the point. the point is deferring is an opinion and not the end of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Only deferring once and twice max, finished college in june. Spoke to HQ and they said work anyway.

oh right, your above post mentioned deferring till the end of the year beginning of next year. Sher see what happens, there was talks of a review after the february intake, which doesnt sound too good.

Jay112 wrote: »
    oh right, your above post mentioned deferring till the end of the year beginning of next year. Sher see what happens, there was talks of a review after the february intake, which doesnt sound too good.

O right, what i meant there is if the intakes for the rest of the year are canceled, that they'll be up and running again by end of year or early next year.

So if some1 defers this intake its not the end of the world

Money helps but I don't think money should be the motivator for any job. Fulfillment in a job means so much more of course getting paid enough to get by is necessary also but if you go into any job for just the cash you won't be happy you'll be watching the clock all day. I think deferring at the moment is risky. As announced a review of the recruitment is on the cards. I know the HSE a couple of years ago scraped a panel created when the new paramedic training programme came out and readvertised so everyone on the old panel had to go and reapply. I think that if you defer with the current economic climate your heart isn't really in the job. The college will facilitate leave to sit exams (to a point I'm sure) and how's about considering deferring the final year of the degree instead. You'll always be able to defer the degree but it's not everyday a Trainee Garda position comes along.

And by the way with all the advise on the thread "Anxious" what are your thoughts now I don't think you posted since your original message?

controller wrote: »
    I think that if you defer with the current economic climate your heart isn't really in the job.

How can a comment like that be made......

My heart is in the job, is it wrong that some1 wants a degree for themselves that will someday might offer them the chance to move up in AGS and the fact of having achieved a degree.

By the way I have been in the garda reserve for over a year, my heart is in the job and I'm deferring.

See its easy for ye to tell people drop out of college, but for any1 in college don't even dream about doing it. Over the past year in the reserve the 1 thing every guard tells me, is to stay in college and some really regret doing the stupid thing of dropping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Money helps but I don't think money should be the motivator for any job. Fulfillment in a job means so much more of course getting paid enough to get by is necessary also but if you go into any job for just the cash you won't be happy you'll be watching the clock all day.

This is by far the best comment and is spot on. I left my previous job to join up and even after 3 years service I am only on 70% of my previous wage but boy am I happier.
    I think deferring at the moment is risky. As announced a review of the recruitment is on the cards. I know the HSE a couple of years ago scraped a panel created when the new paramedic training programme came out and readvertised so everyone on the old panel had to go and reapply.

Again a good comment. I realise it was announced that 400 new students will start this year but please, please take that with a pinch of salt. Finances are being looked at everyday so recruitment could be cut from 400 to 100 this year if needed. With politicians there never is a guarantee.
    I think that if you defer with the current economic climate your heart isn't really in the job.

I dont agree with this comment. People have different life priorities and so may have more options to weigh up such as mortgages, kids, college exams, job commitments etc. The OP asked for advice so lets give that and not judge the OP or his/her reasons.

OP:

It is a difficult decision and I do sympathise with your present position but I have to ask one question: Is it possible to defer the exams?

TheNog wrote: »
    This is by far the best comment and is spot on. I left my previous job to join up and even after 3 years service I am only on 70% of my previous wage but boy am I happier.

Deferring for college is not all about the money, its the fact of actually not wasting 3/4 years for nothing and getting the degree.If it was about the money I'd get my degree and wouldn't bother with the guards and earn way more money.
    The way things are going all guards will need qualifications of some sort, with the economic situation, there will be tons applying and its going to get a lot more competitive, trying to get in and while in service.

Deferring for college is not all about the money, its the fact of actually not wasting 3/4 years for nothing and getting the degree.If it was about the money I'd get my degree and wouldn't bother with the guards and earn way more money.

Im not saying the OP should throw away the years of college already done. I just gave a version of my story before joining and yes I do believe that more money in a job will not necessarily give a person job satisfaction.
    The way things are going all guards will need qualifications of some sort, with the economic situation, there will be tons applying and its going to get a lot more competitive, trying to get in and while in service.

I would certainly hope this will not happen. A person could have qualifications coming out his ears and be the most intelligent person in the world but it does not mean that person will be good at policing. A good unit would consist of people from different backgrounds with different life experiences.

In fact I believe that the minimum age for the AGS should be increased to at least 23-25 yrs old because people tend to have more life experience than a 18 yr old. I know Eroo disagrees with me on this and there will be exceptions and I reckon he is one of them.

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »
    I would certainly hope this will not happen. A person could have qualifications coming out his ears and be the most intelligent person in the world but it does not mean that person will be good at policing. A good unit would consist of people from different backgrounds with different life experiences.

Yeah but no1 knows will they make a good guard until phase 2/4, before then people will qualifications when applying will certainly stand out. Especially when there are going to have loads applying in the next recruitment phase (People who lost jobs or want a more secure future).

Not saying that any1 without a qualification wouldnt stand out and there are people out there who have no qualifications and have more sense than people who have. But thats life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

does having a degree or even a masters make a difference to an application?

slingerz wrote: »
    does having a degree or even a masters make a difference to an application?

Some people might say it does (most likely if they have one already) but I would say that it does not matter at all.

It's all about your interviews and how well you do in the aptitude tests etc. They look more at the person than the academics of it all.

How can a comment like that be made......

My heart is in the job, is it wrong that some1 wants a degree for themselves that will someday might offer them the chance to move up in AGS and the fact of having achieved a degree.

By the way I have been in the garda reserve for over a year, my heart is in the job and I'm deferring.

See its easy for ye to tell people drop out of college, but for any1 in college don't even dream about doing it. Over the past year in the reserve the 1 thing every guard tells me, is to stay in college and some really regret doing the stupid thing of dropping out.

OMG, it's so true what somebody said to me in the past. They said be careful of text messages or stuff you type it can be misinterpreted and boy is that the case with "your heart isn't in the job" I didn't mean you personally I meant anyone in general who was offered and didn't want to take it yet.

Murphy I was giving advise to the original poster why are you taking everything every poster says personally. It's clear you have made your mind up on the subject and fair play your decisive you know what you want but I personally think you need to tone it down a bit just settle petal!!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that is what people here are giving.

Yeah but no1 knows will they make a good guard until phase 2/4,

That is very true. Its a pity that people cannot be shown what the job is like before joining. I would be all for video evidence shown to potential applicants as well as a ride-along to give some insight into the job. The Reserves is probably as close as we can get to this.
    before then people will qualifications when applying will certainly stand out.

Qualifications dont come into it until the interview stage and even then the interview panel is looking for a particular type of person, with qualifications or without. I would spit on the day when qualifications are considered the bee and end all.
    Anyway qualifications for Policing are few and far between from a civialian point of view.
    Especially when there are going to have loads applying in the next recruitment phase (People who lost jobs or want a more secure future).

But isnt job security a box that everyone ticks? I realise some people would take a job just for security and that is wrong but the way the Gardai has gone now even those that are doing that dont last long. They either resign or are sacked during their probation period.
    Not saying that any1 without a qualification wouldnt stand out and there are people out there who have no qualifications and have more sense than people who have. But thats life.

I had no qualifications when going for this job. In fact in my previous employment I went from unemployed to general operator to supervisor in three years within a multinational company. After my interview I was told I was the best applicant interviewed by that particular panel.

What I am getting at here is hard work and life experience will beat any qualification in my book taking into account there is very little college courses out there that relates to front line Policing.

"your heart isn't in the job" I didn't mean you personally I meant anyone in general who was offered and didn't want to take it yet.

I'm some1 in general who deferred, so you did mean me.

Its true, these boards can be really misinterpreted controller. Trust me I'm far from taking this seriously. Just giving my 2 cents.

Couldn't give two hoots if some1 deferrs or not, just wanted them too know that deferring is an option.

MR NOG,

Can this tread be put to a close please. :)

MR NOG,

Can this tread be put to a close please. :)

I will leave it open for now cos the OP hasnt posted since creating the thread. Just in case the OP wants to add anything or update us.

As for the discussion between posters I think we can all agree on some things and not agree on others but hey thats no problem as everyone is different so lets leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just saw this thread and it brings me back to when I passed all the stages for the Garda competition. i was offered a place in Templemeore in July 2003 but at the time I had one year left on a part time degree I was doing wheile working full time in the Civil Service. I really wanted to finish the degree and I asked HR in the Guards in phenix Park could I possibly defer me taking the position for a year. This was refused and after consulting my brother who is a Garda he talked me out of joining saying the job was this and that in a negative manner and that I would be best of staying in the Civil Service and doing a masters or competing more qaulifications after the degree which I did a Higher Diploma. Looking back if they offered me a chance to defer and join a year later I would have taken it. Its really an important decision to make OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

ANXIOUS I understand your dillema; And I will not try to tell you what to do; But I can tell you my personal experiences;

My missus got originally offered her place in May last year but deferred till August; For family reasons; Deferring back then was nothing there was "guaranteed "intakes for the next year;

Even when I got in, in Aug this year I was in the middle of a big project with my company but I could feel uneasy waters and just had to pack it in as this was what I wanted to do; You must decide if the degree, very important dont get me wrong, or the polis is what you ultimately want.

Having spoken to officers and other members there is nothing guaranteed after feb intake

• Advertisement
Advertisement