Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TESCO TRAMORE IS A JOKE!!!

Options
  • 06-01-2009 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I went to do my grocery shopping in Tesco Tramore today, and let me tell you it will be the last time. I was wrapped up as I have been suffering with a throat infection, but I came out of the place feeling ten times worse.

The place was absolutely freezing, I never felt anything like it in my life. My two feet were like ice blocks by the time I left. When I came out it was nearly warmer than inside the store. When I got to the check out, the poor girls were like frozen chickens sitting there, their hands were blue with the cold. I actually called a manager and went through her for a short cut, it was absolutely disgraceful, there wasn't a note up or anything to apologise for the cold. I thought it was acutally against the law to have staff working below a certain temperature. Let alone bringing customers in and expecting them to shop in it. All she kept telling me is that the heating was broken, but the last time I checked this is the 21st centuary. So much for this great Eco store. It is only opened 3 months and already the place is starting to go downhill. Bloody joke, I can tell you if health and safety had been brought in there today they would have shut the place down. As you can tell I am fuming over it. These big stores don't give a toss about their customers or their staff. :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Its funny I saw this thread and my mom is just in from Tesco and was just telling me the girls on the checkouts were wearing fingerless gloves!! Thats mad.
    I think we'll find more people returning to SuperValu if this 'eco saving' (read: cheapness) continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Amazing...!
    I haven't been to Tesco Tramore yet. I usually leave it 12 months or so before I visit a new large store like that and I usually reserve judgement myself until I visit. But, in this case I haven't heard any positive comments about this store. Anyone I spoke to had lots to say, but very strangely nothing positive. I think I should visit this one soon as it's not likely to be around for its first anniversary...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It is a sh1t shop, staff are all muppets, hope it closes and the owners of Tesco end up living in a freezing cold cardboard box eating gone off meals from SuperValu

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I like the Tesco.. its not as good as other Tesco stores but its handy enough. Super Value have better stock and services though. Its also a cosier store and has a warmer feel initially when you walk in. Its a smaller store and a lot more compact then Tesco.

I know a lot of people dislike Tescos in general due to their big buying power and lack of passing on proper prices. Without Tesco in Tramore Super Value probably wouldn't have pulled their socks up and cleaned up the store and started competing more for our custom. The same applies to other stores around Ireland who have been ripping us off long enough.

I cant see Tesco Tramore going anywhere any time soon anyway, there already looking to build a petrol station and the store is bigger then originally planned. They have an excellent location and with the opening of Lidl and that small shopping centre I can see why they picked that location. A lot of rumours went around about the store not being granted a 24 hour licence etc. but I wouldn't hold out much to those comments judging by what others tell me who would know a bit more.

Btw, I asked a friend who did her shopping in Tesco Tramore yesterday. She was in around lunchtime and said the place was lovely and warm. She didn't notice staff wearing any gloves. So I guess the heating went belly up after or the OP is feeling the cold :p

Oh and a lot of the staff are mostly locals and some are ex super value & londis staff. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sullys on a retainer?

Joke! Joke! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

staff are all muppets

The change in the credit climate has really affected Kermit and his friends, I would have taught they would have at least stayed in California, but working in Tesco...absolutely disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

Well Sully I was in there at about 12:30 yesterday.. at that point the staff wasn't wearing the gloves. But perhaps your friend was doing their shopping wrapped up in a duvet because if they thought that store was warm they must be on speed or something, and considering the manager told me that heating was broken obviously then there was no heat being pumped out. She told me they were hoping to have it fixed by the end of the day. My problem with it, is that there was no apology nothing.. until I approached a manager about it. I told her would it not be one of the first things they should have done considering how cold it was outside. I went in there to do my shopping and came out of the place feeling absolutely miserable... especially the fact that i dropped nearly a €100 in the place, to end up feeling colder coming out of the place than when I was going in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Libby029 wrote: »
    Well Sully I was in there at about 12:30 yesterday.. at that point the staff wasn't wearing the gloves. But perhaps your friend was doing their shopping wrapped up in a duvet because if they thought that store was warm they must be on speed or something, and considering the manager told me that heating was broken obviously then there was no heat being pumped out. She told me they were hoping to have it fixed by the end of the day. My problem with it, is that there was no apology nothing.. until I approached a manager about it. I told her would it not be one of the first things they should have done considering how cold it was outside. I went in there to do my shopping and came out of the place feeling absolutely miserable... especially the fact that i dropped nearly a €100 in the place, to end up feeling colder coming out of the place than when I was going in.

The lady in question would have been fairly well wrapped up as shes recovering from the flu which is doing the rounds at the moment IIRC. So im sure that helped. I just asked her when I saw her as shes in there a good bit and thats what she told me - the place was warmer then outside and the staff didnt seem to bothered by any cold weather. She only lives a few yards away.

As for an apology, publicly, I rarely see that done in any place. Take the old cinema in Waterford for example. Heating used to break a lot and no notice was ever given. Have no idea why places cant put up a simple note on the enterance. At least you got some sort of response and they hadnt the heat of to save money!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

I went up to tesco last night and they had notes stuck up,Apologising about the heating. I work in a large retail store and on many the occasion we had our heating broke, and still happen's and we have to just have ta get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

Well obviously my complaint didn't fall on deaf ears.. because when I was in there the staff were not wearing gloves, and there wasn't any signs up at all. But now I have heard that by yesterday evening the staff were wearing gloves and signs had been put up apologising for no heating.

• Advertisement

Libby029 wrote: »
    Well obviously my complaint didn't fall on deaf ears.. because when I was in there the staff were not wearing gloves, and there wasn't any signs up at all. But now I have heard that by yesterday evening the staff were wearing gloves and signs had been put up apologising for no heating.

Well maybe it was just bad timing? As I said, the lady who was in there around the same time as you said there was nothing wrong with the heating. It may have only just went and it just took a bit to get organised and put up notes.

Your right to bring it to their attention though. Just to be on the safe side. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the place seems to me like its badly managed i work in the fmcg sector myself as a sales rep and product that is two days before goin out of use by date has to be removed from shop shelves and credit given to the retailer. tesco don,t seem to enforce this and a lot of there stock is still sitting on the shelves out of date which is bad business and food management to me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Duffman-oohyeh

staff are all muppets,

I work in tesco! whats your problem with the staff?
    And i dont agree that they threat the staff s**t..
    I like working there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Duffman-oohyeh

treat i should say! ha

treat i should say! ha

Ill fix it if you like? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 deise girlie

This shop is a joke. The stock is all over the place. A lot of the own brand stuff isn't stocked just the more expensive options (??!!) The staff are all miserable, of all the ones I have dealt with only 2 have been friendly, the rest even struggle to be polite. After returning something that was defective with no receipt I was accused of buying the item in another shop and called a liar even though I had the the packaging which had Teaco all over it (by the storemanager!) Thanks but no thanks Supervalu have got my custom

Iv seen an improvement stock wise but its not as well stocked as the Ardkeen store. I know its a bigger store but expected the stock in the Tramore store to be better.

Cant agree about staff tho. Never had any issues when I asked for help with something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dm69

cant belive all the chat about this, its just another Tesco, they are currently opening stores in Ireland at the rate of one per month. The people who got all excited about Tesco in tramore need to cop on. The promise of 100 new jobs for tramore was never a reality, they run the store now with approx 40 people none of which are employed on a full time contract (excluding managers). Also the eco store spin was just Tesco doing there bit to look good, its the only eco store they will open in Ireland.
    When Lidl opens in a few weeks it will employ 10-15 people again none on full time contracts, people have to understand if they want to buy cheap foreign food it does not provide good local employment or ad anything to the community.
    Don't like to moan but im sick of people thinking that Tramore is suddenly going to turn its self around from being a sea side town with a small tourist industry, to being the retail capital of Waterford. The joke that was the supposed development at the " Celtworld Site" just shows, local policy makers jumping through hoops for a property developer, makes me sick!!!!

:mad::mad:

dm69 wrote: »
    cant belive all the chat about this, its just another Tesco, they are currently opening stores in Ireland at the rate of one per month. The people who got all excited about Tesco in tramore need to cop on. The promise of 100 new jobs for tramore was never a reality, they run the store now with approx 40 people none of which are employed on a full time contract (excluding managers). Also the eco store spin was just Tesco doing there bit to look good, its the only eco store they will open in Ireland.
    When Lidl opens in a few weeks it will employ 10-15 people again none on full time contracts, people have to understand if they want to buy cheap foreign food it does not provide good local employment or ad anything to the community.
    Don't like to moan but im sick of people thinking that Tramore is suddenly going to turn its self around from being a sea side town with a small tourist industry, to being the retail capital of Waterford. The joke that was the supposed development at the " Celtworld Site" just shows, local policy makers jumping through hoops for a property developer, makes me sick!!!!

:mad::mad:

So you think that both Tesco and Lidl can do nothing for our economy? Dont they pay taxes etc? Hiring local staff and keeping business local (as people used to go to Waterford). Hell without them Super Valu probably would never have dramatically cleaned up their store and went looking to fight the competition back!

For me, I have a keen interest in development and there have been very interesting applications (from a retail POV) for Tramore. So I tend to follow the developments when I get some free time! I do a few big shops a week so I like to shop in a store that offers better value aswel :) Tramore will remain a popular sea side resort and that's not going to change any time soon regardless of development in the area.

As for Tesco Tramore.. the Tramore store isn't that great compared to others, so it seems to be a waste having it there if its not providing its full service and people who shop there are just letting off some steam here about it! I know the story people don't like them as there a big UK chain and are not offering as much value as they can, ripping us off with sterling prices etc. As for me and a lot of other shoppers - ill shop wherever gives me better value for a branded product.

Super Valu is a lot better and offers a lot more products - a reversal of what we previously had! Stores a lot nicer also. All we need now is self service machines so I don't have to wait for ages to get served!

Couldn't agree more Sully. ANYTHING that keeps jobs in Tramore can only be of benefit and in this day and age even to have a part time / temp contract is saying something. Drive by Waterford glass and ask the lads if they would like to be working part time. Tramore has a thriving tourist population, which would only benefit from more amenities. Tramore is what it is and I for one love living here. As far as I am concerned any retail that opens is of benefit and hopefully by talking about the short comings will make them improve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dannii

This shop is a joke. The stock is all over the place. A lot of the own brand stuff isn't stocked just the more expensive options (??!!) The staff are all miserable, of all the ones I have dealt with only 2 have been friendly, the rest even struggle to be polite. After returning something that was defective with no receipt I was accused of buying the item in another shop and called a liar even though I had the the packaging which had Teaco all over it (by the storemanager!) Thanks but no thanks Supervalu have got my custom

well all i can say is most of the ppl in tramore are complete begrudgers!!they all wanted tesco in tramore and once it was here all they want to do is complain how in gods name do u expect a staff member to smile at u or be happy with you if u are just there to moan!!!i often shop in tesco tramore and i no many of the people who work there and to be honest they are genuine nice decent people.super value has been overcharging us for years with the advantage of being the only super market in tramore and if tesco and lidl dont succeed then they will go back to doin just that again. i will say this any time i made a request for to get an item in stock they have always come up trumps for me.i will continue to shop in tesco tramore and i am sure the small minded people of this town will continue to complain!!!!!

I don't expect them to be happy but I do expect them to have basic customer services training and be polite.

I don't expect them to be happy but I do expect them to have basic customer services training and be polite.

Find the staff fine, same in Super Value.

Stock isn't the best and its something a lot of people were not happy with. Super Value was the same but have cleaned up their act and enticed their customers back. Plus, Tesco apparently don't even do a local delivery service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dm69

yeah your right Sully no delivery service (except online shopping which costs €10) tesco expect the older people of tramore to carry there shopping home, add this to the fact the that you cant cash a cheque, the place is freezing and the fresh foods are about as fresh as a dead dog its clear why supervalu is doing so well.
    I do agree with what your saying about getting the best value for branded goods, i find the sunday independant ads help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 margey

the only miserable people are all you people,who have nothing better to do than moan. get a life and show the store your support instead of ridiculing it at every oppertunity.:D:D

margey wrote: »
    the only miserable people are all you people,who have nothing better to do than moan. get a life and show the store your support instead of ridiculing it at every oppertunity.:D:D

Please read the thread before posting. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dannii

dm69 wrote: »
    yeah your right Sully no delivery service (except online shopping which costs €10) tesco expect the older people of tramore to carry there shopping home, add this to the fact the that you cant cash a cheque, the place is freezing and the fresh foods are about as fresh as a dead dog its clear why supervalu is doing so well.
    I do agree with what your saying about getting the best value for branded goods, i find the sunday independant ads help

the reason online shopping costs ten euro is because you dont actually have to go in to the store at all your shopping is picked out for you!!as for cashing a cheque most shops dont do that anymore and i do no people who shop using cheques in the store i have myself used a cheque on a few occasions.this is what i mean by people being begrudgers the store was cold for 2 days last month and people are still moaning about it.what type of fresh food was off because i havent seen any if there really is any because so far alot of this seems to me is people just lloking for a reason to moan about the place if you dont like the place dont shop there but dont talk about the staff(our local decent people)like that and please let people judge for themselves!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 treena

dannii wrote: »
    the reason online shopping costs ten euro is because you dont actually have to go in to the store at all your shopping is picked out for you!!as for cashing a cheque most shops dont do that anymore and i do no people who shop using cheques in the store i have myself used a cheque on a few occasions.this is what i mean by people being begrudgers the store was cold for 2 days last month and people are still moaning about it.what type of fresh food was off because i havent seen any if there really is any because so far alot of this seems to me is people just lloking for a reason to moan about the place if you dont like the place dont shop there but dont talk about the staff(our local decent people)like that and please let people judge for themselves!!!!

I love popping into tesco while the kids are in school and ive found the staff absolutely lovely. I also find online shopping a godsend when the kids are off school as it much easier to click on a computer for what i need and know that someone else is doing my shopping for me and delivering it to me for a bargain 10 euro. It seems to me that people in tramore get used to things and are afraid of change and moving with the times. well i say well done tesco and long may it stay and thrive in tramore and prove the begrudgers wrong.

Chill out lads. All that is being said is that the store is disapointining after waiting so long for it. It is not up to the same standard as Ardkeen. Neither is Lisduggan but I don't shop in Lisduggan so that is why I am not commenting on it!

Sorry, but my experience with the majority, not all of the staff has not been a good one. I work in a job where customer services is really important so maybe I am more likely to see faults with customer services.

All new buisness has problems, hopefully management might read a board like this and recognise that there may be areas where the store can be improved and if they don't at least people can have a rant here and won't take it out the the perfectly delightful staff :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 patrickstarfish

dannii wrote: »
    well all i can say is most of the ppl in tramore are complete begrudgers!!they all wanted tesco in tramore and once it was here all they want to do is complain how in gods name do u expect a staff member to smile at u or be happy with you if u are just there to moan!!!i often shop in tesco tramore and i no many of the people who work there and to be honest they are genuine nice decent people.super value has been overcharging us for years with the advantage of being the only super market in tramore and if tesco and lidl dont succeed then they will go back to doin just that again. i will say this any time i made a request for to get an item in stock they have always come up trumps for me.i will continue to shop in tesco tramore and i am sure the small minded people of this town will continue to complain!!!!!

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE !
    shouldnt this thread be all about tramore ?
    it's all about freedom of choice and i for one will continue to shop there as its good point far out weigh it's bad points!
    accessibility for me is crucial and the car park is a big plus, and its nice and spacious inside .
    along with the new lidl, tesco is the only company to invest in tramore in the last few years and here are people knocking it !
    the world has gone mad ! especially in tramore! we should be building up tramore and not knocking it ! whatever happened to positive thinking ?
    people need to support the local community as tramore has not exactly been thriving in the last few years and can you imagine a tourist reading this, they wouldn't want to come here with the negative vibes been given off by our townfolk.
    there's times i am ashamed to be from tramore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement