Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie alternative to Parmesan?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a good veggie rennet version of this? All Parmesan is non-veggie as far as I am aware, we cook a lot of Italian have to leave it out of certain recipes.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Pecorino is often veggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yes, pecorino is what we used to use, when i was veggie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cheesemonger

We bought a hard cheese replacer called Parmazano in Tesco which faintly tastes like Parmesan. Vegan according to the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Yeah I use Parmazano also, it's like powdered parmasan, so fine for putting onto of pasta, but not really for cooking with. Doesn't need to be refrigerated though and has a few months expiration so handy that way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Desmond Cheese (made in Cork) is meant to be a very good vegetarian substitute for Parmesan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭emeo

is parmesan not veggie??:eek:
    theres a vegan version for sale in quay coop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

emeo wrote: »
    is parmesan not veggie??:eek:

Nope, contains rennet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

All 'official' Italian cheese has animal rennet in it. I don't think the name 'Parmesan' can be used unless it meets regulations... regulations that state real Parmesan uses animal rennet.

Advertisement