Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post - large packages - what's the story?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Do they not deliver large packages (2-3 kilos)? just moved into a new apartment in dublin city and have ordered a few things online. have been off work today and yesterday and both days an post put notice through door that they were unable to deliver a package. Was there all day both days so obviously they're not carrying packages with them. Paid EUR10 to have a package delivered from a shop to a post office not much closer to me! Should they deliver to the door if I ask them, or is only choice to collect now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

regularly get these an i live in a semi-d, they dont seem to send anything that isnt a letter with the chap on the bike round our way and van delivery seems to be none existent, in drogheda i got stuff delivered by the van all the time, not so in dublin it seems lol. From what i have seen the guy on the bike just gets sent out with a 'come and get it note' not his fault he cant push 100 2-3kg boxes around let alone small packages ffs :D

A+ service an post :mad: and its a **** of a cycle for me to collect stuff (no car) to edmondstown , + time off work etc etc . no i just get stuff delivered to home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

calex71 wrote: »
    From what i have seen the guy on the bike just gets sent out with a 'come and get it note'
    +1
    I use to get stuff delivered by van no problem, but the last two months now I just get these "come get it notes", nice to see my taxes at work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are entitled to delivery to your door and this is core to the idea of universal service. Most of the cost of the postage arises from the delivery from delivery office to your door. If our postal system was designed around pickups from sorting offices, the whole operating model would be a lot cheaper.

A lot of this goes on. What you have to do is kick up a stink, unfortunately. When you've retrieved your package ask when delivery was attempted. Ask if the person making the delivery actually had the packet with them. Ask why the bell wasn't rung. Ask who you are talking to. You will (generally) get a number of ridiculous excuses (we don't like to ring door bells before 8am, I can't give you my name, that sort of thing). But try not to get too much anyone's nose. At the end of the day you are depending on these people to deliver your mail.

Then ring the letter post customer service number and ask what is going on.

If that still doesn't work, try ComReg, although this isn't particularly effective in my experience.

Eventually, they get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Never had any problem at all where I am (Bray). Smaller packages get delivered by my friendly postie, larger ones (much bigger than 2-3kg) get delivered by a guy in a small green An Post van.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

They never deliver anything larger than a letter to our house (D5). 3 times in a year they just put the slip through the door, while we were in the house. Complained when I went to pick it up, they just said they had rung the bell, which was a lie. Complained to the GPO who said they'd look into it, but of course never did.

I reckon they're too busy delivering all the corporate spam they make a bigger profit off to worry about minor things like large postal deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

When I lived in Dublin 8 my postie told me they didn't bring out large packages on their normal route (postie on a bike or on foot) any more because they knew 90% of the time no one would be at home.

Can you not get stuff sent to work OP?

I caught the guy putting the slip in the door one day. This is the handiest way to end it.

Delivery to your home is not an optional or discretionary extra. It is what the sender paid for.

Delivery to your home is not an optional or discretionary extra. It is what the sender paid for.

They will re-deliver to your home or place of work if you are not home. They're not *forcing* you to collect the package.

If you work from home or are a housewife/husband why don't you call your local sorting office and let them know that you are usually there, and then hopefully that won't happen again?

No they aren't offering to re-deliver. The form says that you have to go and pick it up. You may even have to pay a charge to pick it up as I understand it.

Why didn't I ring the sorting office? I called to the sorting office and asked what was up (after I had spoken to the postman who put the note through the door). I was then told a load of lies about why it hadn't been delivered to me. There was very little point in suggesting they always attempt delivery when they were claiming they had already attempted delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

[QUOTE=antoinolachtnai;58499181 You may even have to pay a charge to pick it up as I understand it.
    [/QUOTE]

What rubbish.

I can understand why An Post don't bother trying to deliver large parcels anymore when the majority of houses are empty for most of the day.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    They will re-deliver to your home or place of work if you are not home. They're not *forcing* you to collect the package.

The only people that will redeliver to a place of work are the likes of DHL/UPS/FedEx etc.. An Post will redeliver to your neighbour, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

penexpers wrote: »
    The only people that will redeliver to a place of work are the likes of DHL/UPS/FedEx etc.. An Post will redeliver to your neighbour, but that's it.

Actually if you ring them up and ask them to send it out again they usually will.

I am just going by what is written on the docket.

If An Post want to have a policy that they don't deliver to homes where they don't think anyone will be home, fair enough, but they really need to write that down somewhere.

As it stands, it is An Post's policy that the postman will always knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pliddy

Has anyone ordered meds from this site? Had you any problems with them? Do you know of any genuine sites that can deliver Ritalin to an Irish address?

Boards will not condone the purchase of prescription drugs over the Internet.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

pliddy wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered meds from this site? Had you any problems with them? Do you know of any genuine sites that can deliver Ritalin to an Irish address?

lmfao :D

penexpers wrote: »

Hmm unless things have changed in the the past 6 months....i've had An Post re-deliver to my work address LOADS of times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I've found An Post to be more than helpful delivering large packages TBH. When I went to collect a missed delivery, the driver still had the package in the van from the day before. He dropped it in to a neighbours house a half hour later as I was on my way to work, no problems and the people in the post office were very apologetic about the wasted journey.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/cust-howwehelp.htm#missed_delivery

Why would you miss a delivery?

If you were out when we tried to deliver your mail and the item:

* It’s too big to get through your letterbox,
    * It needs a signature,
    * It needs a payment.

What now?

* We’ll leave a delivery notice at the address.
    * This card gives you the address and opening hours of the office where the mail is held,
    * You can drop in and pick it up,
    * You can telephone the Delivery Services Unit and ask for your mail to be redelivered to a neighbour.
    * If you can’t pick up your mail, someone else can do it for you - all they need to do is take proof of identity and the delivery notice to the Delivery Services Unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Catching the postman in the act worked for me (3 or 4 times, as the posties changed). Just letting them know that you're usually home and if not, yer wan in 31 will take it in no problem. I've rung the sorting office in Sandyford with mixed results ("he *did* knock", "no problem we can sent it out in the morning again", "you'll have to collect", "what parcel?").

It really depends on who your postman is, and whether he is a regular.

Large parcels have always been delivered by van anytime I've received any. Ringing for re-delivery has never been a problem for those, in my experience.

Complaining is a waste of time, I'm afraid. I've complained in writing to the sorting office, GPO and ComReg all of whom conclude it was a one off experience which will be bettered as "An Post strive to ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I live in Portmarnock, in an apartment, and 90% of the time the postman leaves the parcel outside my door, however items 2kg+ are sent out by the parcel services, rather than the regular postman, and the parcel services, the one time I needed to ring them, would not send it to my work place in the City, although when it was a smaller item, Baldoyle Sorting Office, had no problem in doing so for me. The Parcel office is based in Kilbarrack, and at the time I could not get the time off work, so ended up having to pay a courier to pick it up for me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The postman in ashbourne used to stick the docket into your letterbox, ring the doorbell and walk off. You had to be quick cos his van was left running with the door open. This happened 3 times, and each time someone was at home (it was around 9am) and ran out to catch him. And each time he had the package in the van, but he was just too lazy to get it out and wait for an answer! So obviously this
    Why did the postperson not knock on the door?

The driver should always knock, is it possible you didn’t hear him? In fact it is easier for our drivers to deliver an item rather than bring it back to the depot.
    from the an post website is a load of bollocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭podger456

eth0_ wrote: »
    When I lived in Dublin 8 my postie told me they didn't bring out large packages on their normal route (postie on a bike or on foot) any more because they knew 90% of the time no one would be at home.

Can you not get stuff sent to work OP?

Yeah, that's an option. Might be better in future as it's head office for large co so at least they won't be able to chance their arm with the no-one was home routine!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭podger456

So my poor wife went to collect the packages today, in cardiff lane, which is a loonnnnggggggg walk from the city centre (dame st area anyway) if you don't know dublin.
    She was pretty much told that we probably didn't hear the door or something, but wouldn't commit to saying that yes they definitely carry the packages out in the morning. Talked to some of the other people living here who also have to collect every package that is sent to them too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Quint wrote: »
    The postman in ashbourne used to stick the docket into your letterbox, ring the doorbell and walk off. You had to be quick cos his van was left running with the door open. This happened 3 times, and each time someone was at home (it was around 9am) and ran out to catch him. And each time he had the package in the van, but he was just too lazy to get it out and wait for an answer!

+1

Happened to me in Ashbourne a few times too....both at work and at home.
    Thankfully they now leave the parcels at the post office in Ashbourne and you dont have to trek over to Dunshaughlin anymore.

They seem to change the people on the routes in Ashbourne ALOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Last summer I was on holidays from work and expecting a few packages. I went to the post office first and told them I will be home and to deliver them.Still get the note. Not even the An Post one but written on the envelope of a bill or whatever "Tony, Parcel in PO".....I live in a rural area and know the postman but that should mean he got the message that I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I caught the guy putting the slip in the door one day.
    Happened to do that myself about two weeks ago, so I asked him for my item, he hadn't got it with him and said it was too big and heavy to take on his bike. So I asked him why again for the third time in two months I have to pick up my stuff, he replied saying that the van doesn't come out my way anymore (don't believe that for a second, I'm only a 5 - 10 min drive from the depot, and a few minutes walk from my local post office and a postbox round the corner from me)

Anyway I went to pick up "the very large heavy package", 3 dvds :rolleyes:, so I asked while I was there what the story was about the van not coming round my way anymore, they said it does and that the guy on the bike must of forgot my post and they would look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I've only just today missed the van at my house, with a package from (I hope) amazon. Slip in the door.

However, my aunt sent stuff from the US last week, and I had to go pick it up. Slip in the door.

The slips are different... the one I have now is A5 portrait, printed on front only, with text saying "next working day". There is a box where the sticker from the parcel has been stuck on.
    The other one had stuff printed on the back, and 2 boxes "available later today" and "available next working day", which had the latter ticked.

I wonder are they two different services altogether, one where they bother to deliver, another where they don't.

edit: just had a look there at track and trace. The amazon package isn't even in my local office (which is ticked on the form), and is reported as back to sender, even though it has been in the country for a day. I pity the guy in the Whitehall office tomorrow when he tells me it's not there.
    anpostox0.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Don't think it will be returned straight away ,they wait for you to pick it up first.
    RTS comes up because thats what will happen if it's not collected.
    Didn't think amazon had tracking numbers.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

311 wrote: »
    Don't think it will be returned straight away ,they wait for you to pick it up first.
    I've had a package returned to sender (US) without even so much as a note slipped through the door stating that delivery was attempted. Fine if they waited, but they might have bloody told me it was there. In the end it was nearly 4 months between order and receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

311 wrote: »
    There are two package numbers on the delivery notice. One is from Amazon, the other one from the US. The amazon one is reported to be in kilbarrack and return to sender, the US one is reported to be in Whitehall and ready to pick up, even though the delivery note suggests they should both be in Whitehall. All will be revealed shortly...

• Advertisement

janeybabe wrote: »
    Actually if you ring them up and ask them to send it out again they usually will.

Is it possible that your workplace and home are in the same sorting office area?

Advertisement