Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post - large packages - what's the story?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

penexpers wrote: »
    Is it possible that your workplace and home are in the same sorting office area?

:confused:

All I know is that when I was living in Galway I was living miles from the sorting office and every time I got a delivery notice I called them up and they sent it out to my house again for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

janeybabe wrote: »
    Actually if you ring them up and ask them to send it out again they usually will.
    eth0_ wrote: »
    Hmm unless things have changed in the the past 6 months....i've had An Post re-deliver to my work address LOADS of times.

Sorry I think we got mixed up here. What I meant is that An Post won't redeliver an item that they couldn't deliver to your home (that was addressed to you at your home) to your workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

All I know is that when I was living in Galway I was living miles from the sorting office and every time I got a delivery notice I called them up and they sent it out to my house again for me.

Yeah, but that's the one sorting office area, even though you live miles from it. For example, I live in Dundrum in Dublin but work in Dun Laoghaire... two different sorting offices, so if I asked them to redeliver a parcel addressed for Dundrum to my work, they wouldn't do it cos it's not the same sorting office area... confusing? Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cowsfriend

Just had a smiliair experience, I live in D5 and my boyfriend was home all day today. He just went to check the post and there was a docket there saying they tried to deliver a package. No one rang our doorbell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If it's the sorting office on the East side of the city I'm thinking of it's miles from anywhere! No buses, if you don't drive then either it's a decent cycle or an a long, long walk for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

Had the same thing happen to us today in Cork. Hubby was standing in the hall when the postman put the slip through the door - he didnt knock or ring the bell. Hubby opened the door and asked him for the parcel, the postman didnt have it, he said another postman was supposed to deliver it the day before but he was out sick. Hubby gave him back the slip and told him to deliver it the next day -which will be Monday I supose. It will be interesting to see if it arrives. I'll be pretty pissed off if it doesnt. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imo

before christmas i was expecting a parcel worth approx 200 euro. On the monday, I decided to track my parcel as it was christmas week and it should have arrived. An post website stated that it had been delivered successfully on the previous FRIDAY. No slip in the door so i rang the post office & the depot... who both suggested that i had the wrong tracking number. I checked with the company, the number was correct. Rang an post again and they stated that the parcel was definitely delivered to my house successfully.

Completely baffled, but no one could locate the parcel.
    The following day my neighbour called in and said that the post man had left my very expensive parcel with her... i don't know her name and would not trust her with my money, but the postman felt happy to give her a parcel belonging to me!! and no one in an post had a record of who it had been given to!!

The same happened to my brother the same week!
    A shambles of a service!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lambkins

Does anyone know whether I can have an amazon UK order delivered to a post office or sorting office? It's a laptop so I'm not sure what service amazon use to get it from the UK to here (Dublin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

anpost really are handicaps

there was a massive thread about this in the afterhours forum last week

it seems they cant be arsed delivering anything bigger than a letter in dublin 2 thesedays

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I get everything sent to work, also has the advantage that it seems to arrive quicker and far less likely to be stung for vat/duty. I figure they think many items are for use in the work so there is no point wasting admin costs collecting VAT which will be refunded anyway through the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

I had same problem with An Post a few weeks ago - they dropped in the slip when I was in the house and never tried delivering - and the slip docket said that the package was already available for collection, so the postman obviously didn't have it with them.

I wrote to An Post customer service asking if I was entitled to a partial refund on my postage as they had not attempted delivery - they wrote back looking for my name and address to check it out - didn't bother pursuing it tho...(in case they checked me out on the tv licence database and found out I don't have one :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

have never had any problem with any deliveries big or small...in some of the cases listed on this thread alot are giving out that the post man will not take the heavier parcels out of the van and then knock on door only in most cases no one is home why wouldn't he check first and if some one is in then. though in one case i heard them at the door putting through the docket and went out to them he said he knew i worked every day and thats why he put docket through without ringing which i have to say is fair enough though told him my hours can change all the time and he said he would knock from then on and he did ....there is no point really in complainng to sorting office unless to tell them you are in and to redeliver...the customer services are extremely busy and will deal with all queries but you should understand this. any local enquiries take bout 1-2 weeks for a reply depending on the complexity of the isuue anything outside takes 4-6 weeks depending if the other country is nice and replying bout missing delayed items and can take much longer for other items it they are not nice in the reply...

an post are very hard working people

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lambkins

rubadub wrote: »
    I get everything sent to work, also has the advantage that it seems to arrive quicker and far less likely to be stung for vat/duty.

I'm a student so no work address to have something delivered to and I'm in college pretty much all day, every day.

So, does anyone know if I can have something delivered from Amazon uk to a post office?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

lambkins wrote: »
    I'm a student so no work address to have something delivered to and I'm in college pretty much all day, every day.

So, does anyone know if I can have something delivered from Amazon uk to a post office?

Thanks.

Get it delivered to your student address. If somebody else is home they'll take it in for you. If not then you'll get your delivery slip and have to call to the post office to pick it up. It's not up to them to leave the items with neighbors unless you have said so explicitly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

lambkins wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether I can have an amazon UK order delivered to a post office or sorting office? It's a laptop so I'm not sure what service amazon use to get it from the UK to here (Dublin).

Amazon won't deliver any electronics to Ireland. I wanted to order a battery operated gadget last October, and was not able to. Same with play.com.

Waiting on important documents about 40 days
    just found out that an post have had them for nearly 30 days

tracking is reading that they were attempted delivered on numerous occasions

this is complete crap as i have been waiting and checking the mail box daily and an attempted delivery docket was never left once!

Now the item is in roscommon,whats the chances of me ever gettinng this item?

Activity

Date

Reason
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER RETURN LETTERS ROSCOMMON CO ROSCOMMON 01-Apr-09
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER RETURN LETTERS ROSCOMMON CO ROSCOMMON 31-Mar-09
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE DUBLIN 12 30-Mar-09
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 27-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 26-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 25-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 24-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 23-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 20-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 19-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 18-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 16-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 16-Mar-09 NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 16-Mar-09
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE DUBLIN 12 13-Mar-09
    ITEM RECEIVED DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE DUBLIN 12 13-Mar-09

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Ring them up and ask them? I would suggest sending a courier to pick it up from wherever it is if it's really important.

antoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 hedgehog33

That's terrible Dellat, you're really having bad luck with An Post. Can't believe they didn't leave a delivery attempted note. I would be livid if I were you. Seems they're returning it to the sender. Were you not able to get the tracking number before now?

tracking still reads that its in roscommon
    customer service say its in warsaw

sender didnt put his address on it so it looks like its well lost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

They may open it to find an address, no? Depends on the local procedures in Warsaw.

If he gets in touch with the Polish post, there is no reason they wouldn't be able to track it down for him, if they were bothered.

My feeling, in all honesty is that there was an incomplete or garbled address on the item.

I would advise against using registered mail for time-critical material anywhere outside ireland. A couple of years ago, registered mail was taking six weeks and longer to reach Great Britain, if it ever got there at all. In fairness, this was RM's fault rather than An Post, from what I could tell. Of course, no one told me this at the counter when I was sending the letter, and they should have (just as they wouldn't accept a registered letter to a country where mail had been suspended because of a war, for instance).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Amazon won't deliver any electronics to Ireland. I wanted to order a battery operated gadget last October, and was not able to. Same with play.com.

I hope they deliver it in a plain brown envelope:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gatorade

I have the best postman.

He always puts our packages in his post bag unless they're super heavy and if we're not there he'll leave the package hidden behind our green bin and leaves a hand written note to let us know that its there.

Last summer i was waiting on a book and got one of those 'pick up at depot' notices in the door- turned out our postman was on holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Had to lodge my 3rd complaint with An Post today as the postmen where i live dont seem to be able to follow instructions from their bosses or head office!

Parcels are being left on the path outside my house. After my last complaint the postie claimed he had heard movement in the house (must have excellent hearing considering i sleep to the rear of the house!) and was only 5 or 6 paces from the door when i came to retrieve the package-which was an outright lie as i saw him delivering to a house across the estate.

Thing is, even if he was only 5 or 6 paces away he still left the parcel.
    Supposedly the postmen were informed of proper procedure after the first incident ie leaving an attempted delivery slip. Obviously took a lot of notice!

Today was the final straw for me, i'm not made of money so i cant afford for some chancer to rob my purchases as they walk past my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Usually my packages arrive to the house and I have had good luck in comparison to others here. The problem I have is the outright lie that is pretending you tried to deliver something when you don't have it with you. Of course by admitting it An Post would be expected (rightly) to reimburse you some of the postage.

delllat wrote: »
    Waiting on important documents about 40 days
    just found out that an post have had them for nearly 30 days

tracking is reading that they were attempted delivered on numerous occasions

this is complete crap as i have been waiting and checking the mail box daily and an attempted delivery docket was never left once!

Now the item is in roscommon,whats the chances of me ever gettinng this item?

Activity

Date

Reason
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER RETURN LETTERS ROSCOMMON CO ROSCOMMON 01-Apr-09
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER RETURN LETTERS ROSCOMMON CO ROSCOMMON 31-Mar-09
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 27-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 16-Mar-09
    ITEM IN DEPOT CARDIFF LANE D.S.U. DUBLIN 2 16-Mar-09 NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS
    ITEM RECEIVED DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE DUBLIN 12 13-Mar-09

just thought id update the thread in case anyones interested as theres been a new developemnt

we complained at o-connell st ,at customer services and also to comreg about the items the postman couldnt be arsed delivereing

couple of days ago we get a reply saying they are investigating the matter

so today i go down and open the open the mail box and our postman has stuffed it completely full with about 25 pieces of assorted junkmail (that were not even addressed to our name or address)

he was also kind enough to leave us an post attempted delivery docket with the word "FOOL" written on it instead of the tracking number

real professional of him i must admit........

delllat are you for real you were checking if i am correct on the internet bout your item and it told you for bout 10 days in was in your local sorting office but you never went to collect it - they make an attempted delivery - even if you dont receive that docket you are meant too you know you are due to receive something - you had the tracking number but in those two weeks you never once went to the local sorting office - not clever my friend - mind you how dare they write fool on the new docket bang out of line - though why did you go to oconnell street do you mean you went into the public office as that is not the customer service for an post - so they can only give the mp58 form for an investigation to start - they have legal obligations locally nationally and internationally - so to get the facts it can take time frustratingly so i know but that is the way it works - it goes both ways with the amount of mail an post and your local delivery office have to sort and deal with and keep aside for ye who dont collect and to do that for nearly two weeks i think they did well - what company keeps things for two weeks in case someone may pop by and collect it they only have so much space to store things - why cant you ring roscommon yourself and redirect the post and this time be in for delivery..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Eh, I don't see why it's delllat's problem if they don't leave an attempted delivery slip. Even if he/she had the tracking number, leaving an attempted delivery slip is part of the job. And to write 'fool' on the latest slip is just childish and unprofessional and I hope something is done about it.

My postman is fantastic. He followed me out of my estate a few weeks ago to try to give me a package and when he couldn't catch me he left a slip. He was passing again when I got back and he knocked on the door to give me the package. It is obvious that not all An Post workers are like this. I had problems with non-delivery of items when I lived in Galway. If postage is paid then the delivery service should be professional and as standard.

shezzie wrote: »
    delllat are you for real you were checking if i am correct on the internet bout your item and it told you for bout 10 days in was in your local sorting office but you never went to collect it - they make an attempted delivery - even if you dont receive that docket you are meant too you know you are due to receive something - you had the tracking number but in those two weeks you never once went to the local sorting office - not clever my friend - mind you how dare they write fool on the new docket bang out of line - though why did you go to oconnell street do you mean you went into the public office as that is not the customer service for an post - so they can only give the mp58 form for an investigation to start - they have legal obligations locally nationally and internationally - so to get the facts it can take time frustratingly so i know but that is the way it works - it goes both ways with the amount of mail an post and your local delivery office have to sort and deal with and keep aside for ye who dont collect and to do that for nearly two weeks i think they did well - what company keeps things for two weeks in case someone may pop by and collect it they only have so much space to store things - why cant you ring roscommon yourself and redirect the post and this time be in for delivery..

are u for real ? commenting on a thread u didnt even read ??

we didnt get the tracking number until after the item was well lost so thats why we didnt collect from the delivery office (we didnt know it was there)

its a 2 mile walk as well to the delivery office from our house and were not going to do that everyday just in case some mail might be there

for all we knew the item was lost in poland since in case u didnt notice OUR POSTAMN WAS TOO LAZY TO LEAVE A DOCKET

we did call roscommon and try to arrange redelivery but were told its returned to poland 2 days ago

then we contaccted poland and asked them to reship but they couldnt either

delllat wrote: »
    are u for real ? commenting on a thread u didnt even read ??

we didnt get the tracking number until after the item was well lost so thats why we didnt collect from the delivery office (we didnt know it was there)

its a 2 mile walk as well to the delivery office from our house and were not going to do that everyday just in case some mail might be there

for all we knew the item was lost in poland since in case u didnt notice OUR POSTAMN WAS TOO LAZY TO LEAVE A DOCKET

we did call roscommon and try to arrange redelivery but were told its returned to poland 2 days ago

then we contaccted poland and asked them to reship but they couldnt either

right you have me on reading the full thread - so you knew you were to receive an item and you didnt get the the tracking number till way late why leave so long - get it track it and see for yourself - any item i am due to receive i always get the tracking number give it a few days and then make enquiries

you dont need to make a two mile walk everyday 1- phone the sorting office everyday with your address and tracking number and they will save you all that walking hassle

the postman obviously was wrong not to leave the docket not condoning that or his stupid comment of fool on the new docket thats so wrong

unfortunately they can only hold for so long and they have to return it - can you confirm its left this country and definately on route to poland as if you wanna pm me ill try and do something for you i know people who work in customer services an post and try their best - so dont give out trying to help ya - sorry for not reading through the whole post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

shezzie wrote: »
    right you have me on reading the full thread - so you knew you were to receive an item and you didnt get the the tracking number till way late why leave so long - get it track it and see for yourself - any item i am due to receive i always get the tracking number give it a few days and then make enquiries

you dont need to make a two mile walk everyday 1- phone the sorting office everyday with your address and tracking number and they will save you all that walking hassle

the postman obviously was wrong not to leave the docket not condoning that or his stupid comment of fool on the new docket thats so wrong

unfortunately they can only hold for so long and they have to return it - can you confirm its left this country and definately on route to poland as if you wanna pm me ill try and do something for you i know people who work in customer services an post and try their best - so dont give out trying to help ya - sorry for not reading through the whole post

Again are you for real. Are you reading delllat has written? delllat clearly said no tracking number was obtained until it was established the item was missing. The postman in this case SHOULD have left a delivery note in delllat mailbox to say it was in the local sorting office if he could not deliver it.

The fact the postman jammed it in delllat mailbox at the end with a rude note means the Post office most likely gave him a bollocking for incorrect procedure and wasting delllat's time. Hence the rude note.

The sad part is Anpost have gone to Sh*t. I myself have ran into issues similar to delllat and even when I tried chasing up as you suggested was given the run around. Our new post man though these days is spot on wish they all were. Some right lazy idiots out there.

Advertisement