Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post - large packages - what's the story?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

Again are you for real. Are you reading delllat has written? delllat clearly said no tracking number was obtained until it was established the item was missing. The postman in this case SHOULD have left a delivery note in delllat mailbox to say it was in the local sorting office if he could not deliver it.

The fact the postman jammed it in delllat mailbox at the end with a rude note means the Post office most likely gave him a bollocking for incorrect procedure and wasting delllat's time. Hence the rude note.

The sad part is Anpost have gone to Sh*t. I myself have ran into issues similar to delllat and even when I tried chasing up as you suggested was given the run around. Our new post man though these days is spot on wish they all were. Some right lazy idiots out there.

yes tallaghtoutlawa i did read the post thanks - it doesnt take long if you are expecting a packet to arrive is all i am saying for a person to make reasonable enquiries

yes the postman is meant to leave a docket - wrong not too obviously

yes postman was wrong to be abussive when caught doing stupid things by managment

did you not read my post i was offering to help the dude

anpost i dont believe have gone to hell yes they could improve on things like obviously leaving the damn docket but alot of customers of an post have alot of learning or basic cop on in the sense of you know someone is posting you an item - it trackable post - oh wait it should be here by now will i enquire or leave it for a few weeks - yes you immediately enquire an post certainly cant be expected to hold on to letters parcels and packets indefinaly dont think they could have the space for that - therefore go to the right places ring customer services as they cant talk face to face or they would never get any work done they would not be in the office for chatting to customers - fill out the necessary tracking form - check on line - etc etc is all iam saying

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Right, the point of An Post is that they deliver items. Should the person not be there to receive something that is too big to go through the letter box, then the postman should leave a docket.

It is not the responsibility of the customer to find out if An Post have his packet. The customer would not need to do this if An Post did the job properly.

janeybabe wrote: »
    Right, the point of An Post is that they deliver items. Should the person not be there to receive something that is too big to go through the letter box, then the postman should leave a docket.

It is not the responsibility of the customer to find out if An Post have his packet. The customer would not need to do this if An Post did the job properly.

i never said they didnt have to leave a docket of course they should - all i am saying is if you know you are due a packet or whatever that is by tracable means have the information to hand - and when sufficient time has past make enquiries - cause in some cases where people are going mad the item hasnt even arrived in the country

is ringing 1850 57 58 59 so hard or www.anpost.ie and going to track and trace so hard if you have tracking number..

personaly for me i have never had hassle with an post or sorters or delivery personnel very professional no matter what my enquiry but i know to ask questions and get the answers i am looking for - i open my mouth for a start and dont blame a company that deal with millions of letters parcels and packets - there is some form of personnal responsibility for your own items too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

But again why should it be up to the customer to track the item when there is a procedure in place to ensure that the customer knows the delivery was attempted? Why should the customer assume sufficient time has passed an track the package themselves?

i am only referring to a situation when you know you are due something obviously if you arent expecting something you will have no idea whatsoever....then its totally wrong obviously

delllet did you report the post person who wrote that fool message cause that is totally out of line - a bad apple in a barrell of good i expect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

shezzie wrote: »
    i am only referring to a situation when you know you are due something obviously if you arent expecting something you will have no idea whatsoever....then its totally wrong obviously

delllet did you report the post person who wrote that fool message cause that is totally out of line - a bad apple in a barrell of good i expect
    should we all ring our local post/sorting office at 9am every morning to see if maybe they have a parcel for us? stop defending unprofessional and sackable conduct by a postman and uncaring attitude by an post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i never said they didnt have to leave a docket of course they should - all i am saying is if you know you are due a packet or whatever that is by tracable means have the information to hand - and when sufficient time has past make enquiries - cause in some cases where people are going mad the item hasnt even arrived in the country

is ringing 1850 57 58 59 so hard or www.anpost.ie and going to track and trace so hard if you have tracking number..

personaly for me i have never had hassle with an post or sorters or delivery personnel very professional no matter what my enquiry but i know to ask questions and get the answers i am looking for - i open my mouth for a start and dont blame a company that deal with millions of letters parcels and packets - there is some form of personnal responsibility for your own items too

first of all of course i would have rang the office or even went there to check if its there and have done this in the past but i have been kept waiting as i had no idea the item was even in ireland yet

add this to the fact that ive beeb told when i go there im told "without the tracking number its like looking for a needle in a haystack"

or worse being put on hold for 10-15 minutes at the nice old price of 0.65cent per minute while someone "has a look around for it "

theres no excuse for postmen who cant be arsed delivering the mail no matter how you try and justify it

foggy_lad wrote: »
    should we all ring our local post/sorting office at 9am every morning to see if maybe they have a parcel for us? stop defending unprofessional and sackable conduct by a postman and uncaring attitude by an post.

honestly not trying to condone delllut post man unprofessional attitude - he should be reported i certainly would have was only commenting on one prospective when you are expecting a package and then get tracking number else situation is obvious you dont know you are due it so how can you trace it .. i just know from my mate in customer services in some cases the customer doesnt help themselves but obviously you should have been treated heapes better

would you not report him - as you will continue to get bad service unless you do as he didnt learn from his managment when you complained bout not receiving the docket - did you keep that docket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

honestly not trying to condone delllut post man unprofessional attitude - he should be reported i certainly would have was only commenting on one prospective when you are expecting a package and then get tracking number else situation is obvious you dont know you are due it so how can you trace it .. i just know from my mate in customer services in some cases the customer doesnt help themselves but obviously you should have been treated heapes better

would you not report him - as you will continue to get bad service unless you do as he didnt learn from his managment when you complained bout not receiving the docket - did you keep that docket

i still have the docket
    I have sent the following message to an post and comreg:

to managment

Heres a few digital pictures of the mail we recieved after complaining about
    mail not being delivered so you will know we are not making this up:

the mailbox was completely stuffed with about 25 items
    the items were :
    1 an post delivery docket with "fool" written on it" instead of a tracking number
    Mail adressed to 4 differnt addresses
    7 copies of perlico advertsing mail
    7 copies of brochures for weight loss
    4 letters addressed to dublin city council
    1 letter addressed to aprtment 7 of the same building (we live in 5)
    1 letter addressed to 5th avenue NYC ??

please tell our postman to lose the attitude problem and just deliver the mail
    like hes getting paid to do ,is that so hard ?is it too much to ask

we are sending copies of all documentation to comreg and also writing
    to the companies responsible for the advertising material as they dont pay to
    have all their brouchures dumped at one address by a postal worker who cant cope
    with delivering a few letters

xxxx xxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Just on 's original issue- we have the same problem. Live in an apt in D2 and they never have our parcels with them. Luckily, we're a very short walk from Cardiff Lane so it's not a big problem.

I work from home and have started having personal parcels (eBay etc.) to to
    My Name
    C/O My Company Name Ltd.
    Street Address
    Dublin 2

and these are brought to my door 9 times out of 10.

I don't know if there's any legal issue around it but you would always make up a company name on your address? Like
    John O'Brien
    JOB Ltd.
    Street
    Address

and see if that helps?

• Advertisement

the whole point is the postman and an post are paid to deliver parcels and small packages direct to your door and if you do not answer they are paid to leave a slip saying you can collect at the post offce or arrange a 2nd delivery where you will be at home,

but in most cases the postmen are so overstretched they do not even bring packages out with them and sometimes do not leave attempted delivery slips.

this is not the op's fault and talking about tracing and tracking is irrelevant because when we the customers are paying for the service we are not supposed to have to "help ourselves" and your mate in customer services should find a different line of work if that is their attitude towards customers!

the whole point is the postman and an post are paid to deliver parcels and small packages direct to your door and if you do not answer they are paid to leave a slip saying you can collect at the post offce or arrange a 2nd delivery where you will be at home,

but in most cases the postmen are so overstretched they do not even bring packages out with them and sometimes do not leave attempted delivery slips.

this is not the op's fault and talking about tracing and tracking is irrelevant because when we the customers are paying for the service we are not supposed to have to "help ourselves" and your mate in customer services should find a different line of work if that is their attitude towards customers!

i do take your point - they should have given much better customer services - they are absolutely over stretched as they company arent taking on the staff so when they are short its up to everyone else to make up for - that of course is no customers fault and shouldnt have to suffer bad service or the rudeness of the fool comment thats totally out of line and would be interested to hear what an post view or dicipline was on that post person...from the op

i personally have never had hassle with them more than helpful on any query big or small - have received great help from customer services - i know how the system works i suppose as i am in work everyday and would miss the postpeople to ask i know customer services 1850 number and know all the sites to check information - yes its an post to give the service but also nothing wrong with a customer backing themselves up whether they should have to or not - its wrong but its what i always do when expecting any thing - like buying something but you hold onto the receipt just in case - what you bought should work/fit etc but occasionally it doesnt so you back yourself up with the receipt for replacement or refund

an post is the same as the ESB CIE Bord Na Mona etc the unions run the show and then the workers instead of being productive and doing their jobs get lazy and sit on their arses doing very little and they know their unions will back them all the way to the picket line,

these dead companies need to be wound up and give these parasite employees nothing then re-established employing people who actually want to work and god knos there are enough of those sort of people available now!

an post is the same as the ESB CIE Bord Na Mona etc the unions run the show and then the workers instead of being productive and doing their jobs get lazy and sit on their arses doing very little and they know their unions will back them all the way to the picket line,

these dead companies need to be wound up and give these parasite employees nothing then re-established employing people who actually want to work and god knos there are enough of those sort of people available now!

the unions most certainly dont run the show - yeah they help in some disputes better to have them behind ya that to be a member of one and totally lose - there are alot of bad employees go into any store bank etc etc dont tar everyone by one bad post person...

there are not dead companies but very important for employment - services - communnities - etc and there are lots of people who work for an post who are very hard working customer friendly and focussed people - unfortunately they have to work under very nasty managment system that never help only hinder the employees .... it can be very hard to work when you have to practically bang your head against a wall everyday with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

eth0_ wrote: »
    When I lived in Dublin 8 my postie told me they didn't bring out large packages on their normal route (postie on a bike or on foot) any more because they knew 90% of the time no one would be at home.

Can you not get stuff sent to work OP?

I had a blazing row with my postman in Dublin 8 two years back. Was housebound for a long time after an accident and I started buying stuff on Ebay a lot and one day he just starting shoving the 'attempted delivery' notice through the door.

What this guy does is to put the notice in the door the 'next day' with your mail and so I popped out and called him back and said what's the story with these notices.

I said 'I was here yesterday and your supposed to put these notices through when you attempt delivery'. He said no they are supposed to put them in the next day as the parcel is not collectable until the next day anyway.

So I went back inside and again it happened the next week.

I flung open the door and said 'I was here yesterday when you delivered the post so don't you tell me that I wasn't .. I haven't left this house in 15 months other than to go for cat scans so you better tell me what's going on'.

He gulped and just said 'You get too many deliveries and I'm not carring them all the time if you not going to answer the door or something .. ".

I went balistic and it hasn't happened since but they still just put the notices through the day after which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

I recently ordered some packages from Littlewoods and knowing I wouldn't be home I asked a friend who is unemployed and always at home in the mornings would she accept delivery at her apartment. From her window she can see the postman entering her estate and coming into the building. As he didn't ring the bell she assumed he didn't have my parcel that day. However when she went down a little later to collect her mail there was an attempted delivery docket sayin the packages would be available for collection the following working day. When I queried why he didn't attempt to ring the bell the lovely people at an post asked was I sure my friend was telling the truth!!
    A €20 round trip taxi ride later I finally had my packages.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Nico22 wrote: »

I said 'I was here yesterday and your supposed to put these notices through when you attempt delivery'. He said no they are supposed to put them in the next day as the parcel is not collectable until the next day anyway.

Which is obviously a blatant lie, since there's actaully a tick box on the form stating whether the package is available for collection today or next working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

It really seems to be down to the postman to be honest with you. I never have any problems with the postie (D5) I have gotten one or two slips but they were genuine times I was not in the house. So it seems to be some take there job more seriously then others.

In fact I think my postman drives his own car around the estates delivering post instead of using the push bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

MOH wrote: »
    Which is obviously a blatant lie, since there's actaully a tick box on the form stating whether the package is available for collection today or next working day.

The guy now always brings the parcels after last time .. but he still will not put collection dockets through until the next day. That's his way and he's sticking to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

A Postman on foot or bike cannot be expected to carry parcels. In an urban area he might have 1500 houses and/or businesses to deliver to.

At my local sorting office, where I regularly go to collect a parcel, they use an independent courier service for parcels. I don't know how common this is, but I bet it's widespread.

However, if you paid for door to door, then that is what you're entitled to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

nipplenuts wrote: »
    A Postman on foot or bike cannot be expected to carry parcels. In an urban area he might have 1500 houses and/or businesses to deliver to.

At my local sorting office, where I regularly go to collect a parcel, they use an independent courier service for parcels. I don't know how common this is, but I bet it's widespread.

However, if you paid for door to door, then that is what you're entitled to.
    Two years ago when I was working from home in Limerick it used to work similarly.

The postie would come round as usual in the morning with letters etc. and a van would come round in the afternoon with Parcels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think I must be one of the lucky ones, only ever had 1 of these slips, that was at least 5 years ago and it was the green van

I have a regular postie and he always rings the bell, and when there's no answer he always finds a way (leave it with a neighbour, or put it under the milk container or sitting in the wheelie bin, and then stick a note through the letterbox to tell me where he's left it)

needless to say he's generously rewarded for his efforts when Crimbo comes round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 henrik51

An Post,expensive and bad service,what a combination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Had similar problems in Limerick City.
    Wife and I working from home.
    Post is delivered early morning but parclels coem later.
    Got ' couldn't deliver' notices loads of times and had to collect from GPO next day.
    Often these items were ordered on line and were needed urgently.
    so as well as the hassle of going to collect items I losts a day.
    I complained in writing and got a reply but problem persisits.
    i heard from an An Post employee that they deliver these notices rather than the parcels as it's quicker than waiting for peole to answer doorbells and people are often not in during the day.

I now trry to get all parcels delivered by courier even if it costs more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I feel I have to speak up for the good service we receive from an Post. Our postie goes out of his way to deliver parcels. If we are not home he leaves them at my in-laws 3 miles away to save us going into town. When exam results etc are expected he will reverse the route if necessary to get them to customers as early as possible. They can provide a good service - don't paint the entire organisation with the one brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I feel I have to speak up for the good service we receive from an Post. Our postie goes out of his way to deliver parcels. If we are not home he leaves them at my in-laws 3 miles away to save us going into town. When exam results etc are expected he will reverse the route if necessary to get them to customers as early as possible. They can provide a good service - don't paint the entire organisation with the one brush.

Good for you, but its fairly obvious that they are not providing the service in built up areas which by the sounds of your post, you are not in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good for you, but its fairly obvious that they are not providing the service in built up areas which by the sounds of your post, you are not in.

Apologies if this is drifting off-topic but you really can't say "they" aren't providing a good service. Your man may not be but many are. Yes, I'm in a rural area (yipee) but my mother and brothers are all in towns/cities and they get a good service. My work mates here (straw pool of 16 this morning) are all urban dwellers and none can find fault with the deliveries from An Post.
    Of course individual postmen may cause problems but contact the postmaster if you want to get a particular issue resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Also have to say I've never had a problem.....although again I live in a rural area. I now work from home and postie rings the doorbell & hands me package/parcel if she has one. If I'm not here, then I get the slip & collect at the p.o.

Advertisement