Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desert Island

Options
  • 07-01-2009 2:11am

What three items would you bring to a desert island? It's a simple question...

And no, things like a phone or boat or a flare obviously can't be included! Anything that can aid in your rescue or your escape can't be brought. Nor can sets of items, as in, you can't say "I'll bring a box of books"; you're just allowed one.

So, what would you take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I'm assuming I'm not allowed class people as items? kind of adding insult to injury really, getting someone stuck on a desert island and then defining them as an item, or maybe vice versa... anyway, that's prob a different thread on which 3 people you would bring with you...

hmm, 3 items... I think I would take... you know this is really unfair to jugglers, right? no sets, psh... you ruled out escape / rescue items, what about survival items? penknife, matches etc. ok, match... I mean our we talking 3 most useful items or 3 most sentimental / good for self amusement items?

anyway, at least one of my items is a hat, which will be sorely needed for the important business of going mad on a desert island without my 3 desert island people...

Another would be... sunglasses! of course, very important on desert islands...

last one is... a penknife, unless the terms of the game change...

so that's a hat, sunglasses and a penknife. unless I'm only allowed one sunglass...

what's your answer Jammy?

cocoa wrote: »
    I'm assuming I'm not allowed class people as items? kind of adding insult to injury really, getting someone stuck on a desert island and then defining them as an item, or maybe vice versa...

you know this is really unfair to jugglers, right? no sets, psh...

unless I'm only allowed one sunglass...

Haha, one of the funniest thing's I've ever read!

Yah I suppose survival items are all good, and I suppose I'll let ya off with the sunglasses, even though it has two bits of glass and all:P

Anyway, I'd bring... A penknife... Some kind of a ball to throw to yourself, that's always amusing... And... Either a book like Paradise Lost, or another ball, just incase you lose the first... I'd bring the other ball, just to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Bear Grylls,Ray Mear's and David Attenborough. Wait. No people,****e :pac:

I'd have to go with a knife/sharp object also.........erm,and a noose? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

this is a hot, sunny desert island right?

solar powered cd player.
    mix cd, featuring incubus' sick sad little world.
    duct tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Cheryl Cole - She's a wafer now

Solar Powered Ipod - Queens of the Stone Age need to be heard

Kleenex - Need I explain ladies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

1. Camera gear (No I don't use a ****ty little P&S)
    2. A female
    3. ?????????

PROFIT!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

1 flint - to start fires

2 machetty - for protection against animals and to use as a tool to kill and chop stuff

3 a big mirror in order to get attention of passing ships when i get off the island in my raft!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

1)A lighter, much more useful for starting fires than a flint :P
    2)There's a book about how to survive if worse really comes to worst, but I an't remember the name of it, I'd bring that anyway.
    3)A swiss army knife too...does that count as a set if it has a bunch of attatchments?

Piste wrote: »
    3)A swiss army knife too...does that count as a set if it has a bunch of attatchments?

A lighter can run out of gas though:P

Nope, I meant a set as in, you can't say "I'll bring a box with a penknife and books and tent etc etc. in it, that's only one thing, it's just a box!" If ya get what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ah yeah I getcha. So Swiss Army Knife is in. The lighter may run out of fuel, but if I keep a fire running 24/7 that won't be an issue, whereas if I had a single match and it got wet/I had nothing to strike it against I'd be royally screwed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Can we follow Desert Island Discs rules and assume that the complete works of Shakespeare, and all major religous texts will already be on the island?

Can we follow Desert Island Discs rules and assume that the complete works of Shakespeare, and all major religous texts will already be on the island?

Am... Ok ok ok, I'll allow Shakespeare. We'll pretend a box containing his works fell out of a plane decades earlier and curiously landed on the island, or something like that. But, there's to be no religious texts; that's going too far!

Ah excellent. Plenty of paper to get a nice fire going. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

But, there's to be no religious texts; that's going too far!

But we will need comic releief... And toilet paper :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

Three items....

Water deioniser...(so I can drink all the seawater I want!!!!)

Rope. Lots of it. (for swinging around from tree to tree till i get bored, for tying sticks together to make a raft, for hanging myself if the latter doesnt work)

Some sort of giant metal bucket (to store deionised water, to bang sticks off if i get bored, and to store stuff in.

Woohoo, free luxury holiday, here I come!

Bijoux wrote: »
    Some sort of giant metal bucket
    Could also be used as a house/shelter if turned upside down :p

Could also be used as a house/shelter if turned upside down :p

Lol I was going to say that, but wouldnt the metal be very hot in the sun?

It if was REALLY hot you could cook stuff i suppose!

Lol I was going to say that, but wouldnt the metal be very hot in the sun?
    Sun at night time? :p would hopefully stay warm from the day time through night time..

damnit I want to go get comfy and warm in bed now >.<
    It if was REALLY hot you could cook stuff i suppose!

See, now this makes perfect sense.

walrus_bucket2.jpg

:D

Damnit, you caught me.
    But hey, at least I look good, I told the walrus (not sure if its a walrus....or a manatee...whats the diff? Fangs?)...well I said I'd loan him the blue dungarees in exchange for the bucket, but he was having none of it.....so I pepper sprayed him and legged it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Bear Grylls... he'd get us out.

Tessa James... for something to look at while Bear got us out:D

Pack of condoms;)

• Advertisement

Damnit, you caught me.
    :D I always catch my bucket stealers.
    But hey, at least I look good
    pics or gtfo? :pac:
    >_>
    <_<
    I told the walrus (not sure if its a walrus....or a manatee...whats the diff? Fangs?)...well I said I'd loan him the blue dungarees in exchange for the bucket, but he was having none of it.....so I pepper sprayed him and legged it!

This explains it. and also gives you something to do :D

BAse3-walrus.gif
    Pack of condoms;)
    Having a posh wan? :pac:

pics or gtfo? :pac:
    >_>
    <_<

I meant the blue dungarees are TEH SEX!

This explains it. and also gives you something to do :D

BAse3-walrus.gif

Aha! Can I bring that to the island, to save me from boredom!?

I meant the blue dungarees are TEH SEX!
    I know ;) :pac:
    Aha! Can I bring that to the island, to save me from boredom!?

Hmm, but you've nothing to make it out of...

I know ;) :pac:

Hmm, but you've nothing to make it out of...

A really REALLY big leaf....assuming theres a jungle on the island.

Walrus leaf puppets. hmm... I like this idea.

I'm sorry, but walrus'/manatees, or anything depicting them, aren't allowed. We don't want their sorts around our nice clean island; they've caused enough problems as it is, with their confusion causing similarities and the likes.

I'm sorry, but walrus'/manatees, or anything depicting them, aren't allowed. We don't want their sorts around our nice clean island; they've caused enough problems as it is, with their confusion causing similarities and the likes.

Can we have LOLcats?

Can we have LOLcats?

I'll allow two. But, they both have to be the same sex, we don't want some sort of an outbreak on the island. You know, kinda like what happened in Australia with the frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

God this is excellent.....perfect way of avoiding college assignment!!

As much as I liked the conversation about walrus/manatee...(without the tusks...actually what is a manatee??)... finger puppets, Im going to be boring and go back on thread!

I would bring

1) Stack of DVD'S + player to watch them!
    2) Box of Coor's Light
    3) Johnny Depp (to lassoo the sea turtles that would (eventually) bring us back to shore!!

• Advertisement

lilmizzme wrote: »
    As much as I liked the conversation about walrus/manatee...(without the tusks...actually what is a manatee??)..
    Manatees (family Trichechidae, genus Trichechus) are large, fully aquatic marine mammals sometimes known as sea cows. The name manatí comes from the Taíno, a pre-Columbian people of the Caribbean, meaning "breast".
    Sea cows or breasts? :pac:
    1) Stack of DVD'S + player to watch them!
    shame about the no T.V or electricity thing. :p

Advertisement