Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing lately

Options
  • 07-01-2009 2:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

So looks like there has been some awesome conditions going on in west of Ireland for the last while and for the forseeable future, has anyone been out lately? Is it too cold to go out? I'm stuck here in Oz and very jealous, it may be 37c but the surf in WA is pretty useless this time of year, constant onshore wind and small swells and crowded breaks :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Was out in Tramore on Sunday just gone. 6-7ft face, no wind and perfectly clean swell.

Mind you I would prefer your temperatures. Went out hoodless and being hit by a wave was like being hit by a block of ice in the head.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Is it too cold to go out? (

It's never too cold to go out. Up in Tullan and Rossknowlagh at the weekend. Nice clean lines coming in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

so looks like Dublin area will be going off next week according to this

http://magicseaweed.com/Dublin-Area-Surf-Report/694/detailedLongRange/uk/

lol

is anyone going to check out any beaches? Can someone take pics if it's any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I'm living beside a sweet left in the pacific. Its been 4-5 foot for the last 2 weeks, and offshore first, then glassy every morning. The water is 25 degrees celsius, and perfect.

But I miss those huge, empty winter days in Ireland, out on the reef, when you get the snot kicked out of you by monstorous grey ice cold brain freeze motherfúckers. Especially with all the offshores ye've been getting this last while!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

hate to say it but i have not been in the water since end of oct. I know its a freaking disgrace!!!

Strandhill was small but clean today. Dunno why i didn get in there and then. Anyone else havng cold feet about getting in the water lately??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I am planning on heading out surfing next Wed / Thur / Fri. I haven’t decided which or how many of these days I’m heading out.
    The options for where to go are; Strandhill, Rossnowlagh, Bundoran or Portrush. I have just got a new board and it’d be the first time I’d be out on my own in Ireland.
    Is it likely for there to be a few surfers around during the day so I can at least see where to go out and where to avoid??
    I didn’t know if maybe I should get a lesson just to show me where to catch waves. Only prob in that the reason I’m free on these days is cause I’ve been made redundant so I can’t really afford to waste cash.

Is there any one of these locations best for beginners? I can catch waves, but I’m still a beginner. I have looked on Magicseaweed and it has been showing great conditions recently so hopefully these will keep up.

I would appreciate any advice on the few places I mentioned. I am roughly the same distance from all these places (bit closer to Portrush) so the drive is pretty much the same for all of em.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

your best bet is prob to go as far as fundoran/strandhill. im from fundoran but live in strandhill and there are plenty of beachbreaks suitable for beginners around here like streedagh, tullan, mullaghmore and rossnowlagh. Hope to get my car fixed in time to get out tomorow for the first time in ages. Pm me if your comin this way and i can show ya some spots if the motor is up and runnin.
    check bundoransurfco.com to get good local forcast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

calling Bundoran "fundoran" makes baby jesus cry ;_;

Advertisement