Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low fat Ben and Jerrys!

• 07-01-2009 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Tried the Strawberry Cheesecake low fat Ben and Jerrys from my local Dunnes recently, it was half price, and it was gorgeous!
    I was expecting the usual milk-ice type low fat ice cream but this is seriously good, creamy, loads of strawbs and giant pieces of oaty biscuity base!

I'm flippin delighted with this. Only downside is that it's sold out now! Anyone else try this or the low fat choc fudge brownie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HB low fat is nice too, but it is certainly not low calorie, i.e. you will get almost just as fat eating it. This is a common marketing scam to try and make people think it is some sort of health food! it is still junk, just read the info on the back, thats where the truth is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

rubadub wrote: »
    HB low fat is nice too, but it is certainly not low calorie, i.e. you will get almost just as fat eating it. This is a common marketing scam to try and make people think it is some sort of health food! it is still junk, just read the info on the back, thats where the truth is.

+1

If you think eating low fat food permits you to eat more, think again! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

cozmik wrote: »
    +1

If you think eating low fat food permits you to eat more, think again! :)

Well of course you cant eat more, lol! where did I say that!?
    But it is most definitely lower in cals than the normal B&Js,which is nice for a lighter option,surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Meh. I think if you're gonna eat Ben & Jerry's you may as well do it properly :D

That would usually be my attitude also but I tried this out of curiosity and I was pleasantly surprised. It is just like a lighter version of the real thing, not as heavy, doesnt give you that "Oh god I just ate a cow" feeling in your tummy afterwards :-)

• Advertisement

Eviledna wrote: »
    Well of course you cant eat more, lol! where did I say that!?
    But it is most definitely lower in cals than the normal B&Js,which is nice for a lighter option,surely?
    We are just giving fair warning against these marketing scams in general, not directed at you.

Since it is lower in calories, you can eat more of it, i.e. if you are on a calorie controlled diet, and want 300kcal max, you can eat more of the low fat one. It is just that some people (not pointing at you) think "low fat" gives them free reign to scoff buckets of the stuff.

I have a mate who was polishing off entire packs of "go-ahead" biscuits, thinking they were some sort of health food, while really they are only marginally better than standard ones.

It is like these baked walker crisps. They have less oil per 100g, but that means per 100g they now have far more processed simple carbs, the potatoes. I dunno which is really better for you, I would stick with the normal ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

How does the RRP compare with the regular stuff?

The RRp It's exactly the same, in dunnes anyway. It would want to be, ~6 euro for a ltr is expensive enough!
    I have a mate who was polishing off entire packs of "go-ahead" biscuits

lol, I'm imagining a room strewn with empty packets of go ahead biscuits with a person sitting in the center on the floor sobbing," I can't stop, they're so healthy and light!":pac:

Eviledna wrote: »
    lol, I'm imagining a room strewn with empty packets of go ahead biscuits with a person sitting in the center on the floor sobbing," I can't stop, they're so healthy and light!":pac:
    Some other poster was talking about a girl he knew who actually thought the more lean quisines you eat the thinner you get, no joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^^^ Haha (stupid but) brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

OP the chocolate fudge is good too

But even better a scoop of choc fudge mixed with the cheesecake one....mmm

Although caramel chew chew is still my fav

Low fat Ben and Jerry's certainly isn't as low fat as you think. It has got lower fat than the other icecreams, however.

AFAIK, to be termed low fat, something merely has to be <=3% fat.
    This hits it exactly. I'd say they had to try hard to meet it at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

werent B&Js announcing that they were bringing out a new sorbet not so long ago? i got all excited, but i haven't seen it anywhere:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Where did ye buy the lowfat ben & jerrys? I've not seen it in any of the shops around by me (dunnes, tesco, centra etc).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

werent B&Js announcing that they were bringing out a new sorbet not so long ago? i got all excited, but i haven't seen it anywhere:(

Isn't 'Jamaican me crazy' a sorbet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

never saw it, but then again this town never seems to have anything......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

jamaican-me-crazy.jpg

I haven't tried it, but it sounds nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I have an empty tub of chocolate fudge brownie (low fat) beside me. I was the same I got it because it was half price(in supervalu). I'm quite happy with it, tastes better than other full fat ice-creams.

As for the kcal and fat
    per 100ml (tub is 500ml)
    155kcal
    Eiweiten(dutch I think) 4g
    Koolhydraten 29g this is carbohydrates
    vetten 2.1g

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

What a weird coincidence - I was just after logging in to say I had finally found some of the low fat chocolate brownie and yeah its very tasty. Not as rich as their normal stuff but a very acceptable substitute.

• Advertisement

An interesting thing to do is have a tub of Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Low Fat Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Taste both one after the other. The Low Fat one has a taste that vanishes from your mouth after a few seconds, whereas the normal one lingers

I work behind a Ben and Jerrys stand sometimes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've had both low and full fat Chocolate Fudge Brownie this week (I know...) and I just didn't like the low fat! It's ice CREAM, meant to be lovely and creamy.

Advertisement