Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap flights- Thailand

• 07-01-2009 3:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Im going hopefully going to Thailand with my girlfriend in July/August:D for a month. Wondering if anyone can recommend a site for cheap flights?

Cant find any bargains myself!

Cheers!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

through abu dhabi with etihad.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Mate went out before Christmas, had huge problems getting a good value flight, eventually flew with Jet Airways via Mumbai which was way cheaper than anything else available. He normally flys with Eitiad.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

China Airways from Amsterdam to Bangkok for about €1100 return.

Not the most upmarket service though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

booked mine last yeat to thailand though usit.ie

checked loads of places and these were the cheapest, flights with etihad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Gonzales wrote: »
    through abu dhabi with etihad.com

Used them 3 years ago and can not think of anything bad to say about them.
    I had to go to London first, nowadays they fly from Dublin.
    And the stopover in Abu Dhabi might make the trip a bit longer, i find it great to be able to get out after a 7 hour flight, stretch the legs and have a smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we went to thailand with thai airways a few years ago and saved almost a grand by flying from the UK instead of dublin and getting a connecting flight with ryanair.

the real p1sstake was that booking it from dublin would have put us on the same ryanair connecting flight as we got anyway, just for €1000 more.

make sure you shop around on your departing airport as weel as your destination. i know it can be a pain, but it can be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

I always found Qatar to be the cheapest from London try Sri Lanka Air also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You're looking at today's prices of at least €540 from LHR with Qatar or Jet
    or €900 from DUB with Turkish or SAS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

hmm, still doing a bit of research but i found this which might save me a bit.

From Dublin to London with Aer Lingus for €89(return).

Then from London to Bangkok with British Airways for £648(return).

Interestingly enough was that the BA website calculated £648 as €708 "based on today's exchange rate", while XE.com calculated it as €719.92! Big difference!

Anyway that comes to roughly €800 which aint bad!

What ye think? Im gonna do afew more searches!

did a bit more searching! I went on to www.cheaptickets.com and found:

London(LHR)-Bangkok with one stop in Doha for $686!! Thats €502!!

Then a flight from Dublin to London is just under €100 return. Thats a grand total of €602 which is a bargain!

• Advertisement

Time to unsubscribe for this thread....
    I really dont want to know you can fly to Thailand for 500 while it is freezing cold here..... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

inforfun wrote: »
    Time to unsubscribe for this thread....
    I really dont want to know you can fly to Thailand for 500 while it is freezing cold here..... :pac:

I know, actually depressing. I got all excited and did the totting-up, and the "guess where we are going back to, and how much (little) it's gonna cost?!?" with the girlfriend last night, before turning the laptop around and showing her €560-odd. Promptly answered with: "No we're not, neither of us have any money." - Oh yeah.

consultech wrote: »
    I know, actually depressing. I got all excited and did the totting-up, and the "guess where we are going back to, and how much (little) it's gonna cost?!?" with the girlfriend last night, before turning the laptop around and showing her €560-odd. Promptly answered with: "No we're not, neither of us have any money." - Oh yeah.

i apologise:D

i was going to suggest staying at the shanti lodge whilst you were in bangkok as it was amazing when we went there, but i decided to check on trip advisor for reviews to back it up and apparently it's really gone downhill in the last few years and the staff are very rude, so I guess i won't be recommending it after all, sorry.

maybe someone else knows somewhere good to stay there?

vibe666 wrote: »
    i was going to suggest staying at the shanti lodge whilst you were in bangkok as it was amazing when we went there, but i decided to check on trip advisor for reviews to back it up and apparently it's really gone downhill in the last few years and the staff are very rude, so I guess i won't be recommending it after all, sorry.

maybe someone else knows somewhere good to stay there?

Just booked the flights for the two of us afew minutes ago.......2 return flights for €906:eek: absolutely lovin it:D

yeah cheers, we're goin to stay in bangkok for a night then down south and back up to bangkok for a couple of nights at the end of our trip so recommendations are very welcome!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Just booked the flights for the two of us afew minutes ago.......2 return flights for €906:eek: absolutely lovin it:D

yeah cheers, we're goin to stay in bangkok for a night then down south and back up to bangkok for a couple of nights at the end of our trip so recommendations are very welcome!!

€453 pp? Where did you get this? (just incase Im feelin adventurous ;))

I used www.sawadee.com for hotels and the like....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Did a trip last year with herself

5 nites in krabi, 4 in koh samui , 5 in phuket, and 2 in bangkok

this is there we stayed in bangkok

http://www.bangkok.com/grandsukhumvit/photos.htm

it came reccomended from a mate and didnt disappoint, fab hotel, there would be alot cheaper out there but we wanted a base for 2 nites to do the bridge over the river kwai and tiger temple tour and it was ideal.

i 'would' have recommended them after staying there about 5 years ago and it was amazing, but all the recent reviews say it's brutal now, so DON'T stay there.

i'm sure trip advisor knows of better places now anyway, so it'll be well worth checking what's what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I just had a call from a mate who is in Thailand for a month, he went out mid-December, he says the tourist numbers are way down on previous years so prices are a lower as a result of competition for the few tourists who are there.

For example he rented a condo for the month for half of what it cost him this time last year.

Not sure if that situation is going to continue all year, but be sure to bargain hard for the best prices on accomodation, maybe ring the hotels direct (on voip;))

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

consultech wrote: »
    €453 pp? Where did you get this? (just incase Im feelin adventurous ;))

Yep, €453 pp!! I booked it with www.cheaptickets.com. I checked the airline website aswell to see if it wud be cheaper but it turn out cheaper on cheaptickets.com because you are charged in dollars!!

Id say book sooner rather than later, these prices are bound to be snatched up!

Advertisement