Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waza Kai Jujitsu-Limerick

• 07-01-2009 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the training times i was there at 7:30 last night but there was no one there i thought it was tue and thurs 7:30-900??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ive tried calling the number on the door but it says its out of service!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PearlDrummer

Instructor: Mike Carroll
    The Dojo,
    4 Perry St.,
    Limerick
    co. Limerick
    Phone: 0878382934 or 061405676
    eMail: mikarl@hotmail.com

couldn't tell you the nights that practice are on though... sorry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

The Dojo,
    4 Perry St.,
    Limerick
    co. Limerick

I have been driving past the dojo the last few weeks on the way home from work but it is always closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PearlDrummer

well... it is the Christmas break.... so they might just not be back yet!

The Dojo,
    4 Perry St.,
    Limerick
    co. Limerick

Both numbers are not working and ive emailed... if i hear nothing by the weekend ill be heading out to ger healy...distance wise the city centre would have suited me better though...still on we go!

• Advertisement

Just had contact from mike....training tonight at 8pm!!! whooooo

In case anyone is wondering training times are 8-9:30pm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I trained with Mike for about 8 months back when I was in TY, I've missed it a lot since I gave it up. I'd be interested in taking it up again, so keep posting info Drifter, if you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Yesterday I saw a "to let" sign on Mike's building in Pery Square. Did Mike move the dojo?

yip the dojo has moved its now on windmill street. bigger dojo this time. ive been training with mike for 4 months now. grading in a weeks time. absolutely love the classes..

i dont normally drop in to this forum but if anyone wants more info please feel free to pm me! and i can pass on mikes details

• Advertisement

I trained with him myself for about 3 years. Got to green belt. I haven't been in 2 years though. Where's windmill street again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Out of interest, what is Waza Kai Jujitsu? Is it a variation of Trad JJ?

off henry street down the road beside willie sextons pub....

its a form of TJJ but designed more for street defense/fighting...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulme

i searched windmill street for his dojo yesterday but i couldn't find it. is he still there?

yip its not signed yet though its in ryans timber yard ( or what used to be ryans timber yard)

cheers drifter, i went down and checked it out earlier. might see ye tomorow

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Martin Legge

How much are the classes? And are they open to random first-timers like me?

ya the classes seem to be open to pretty much anyone. if you wanna start your gonna have to pay 100euro for a years membership, and then you gotta pay monthly for the classes. its 60euro if you wanna do 2 classes a week and there's also an option to do 1 a week. i suppose that would be about 30euro a month. its worth it.

paulme wrote: »
    ya the classes seem to be open to pretty much anyone. if you wanna start your gonna have to pay 100euro for a years membership, and then you gotta pay monthly for the classes. its 60euro if you wanna do 2 classes a week and there's also an option to do 1 a week. i suppose that would be about 30euro a month. its worth it.

Membership has gone up to €100 !!

It used to be about €60!

****ing hell he's getting expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 firstroundtko

His a ripoff! are youz all mad €60 per month for two classes and €100 membership for Waza Ki. That's just robbery. And Its just very basic self defence techniques at best WTF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dragon_Dream

Waza Kai Jujitsu dojo. 8pm-9:45pm.
    The banner is on the wall now if you walk down Windmill Street and look into the car park area. If it's training time or thereabouts just give a knock and give the door handle a turn.

€60 a month for two trainings a week for 4 weeks does seem steep.
    But compare that to a leisure centre or gym, so which is steeper?

The knowledge on what works for street/self defense and the long path to walk towards that goal is here though, and having that is priceless.

This month has been concentrated on street defense (escalating violence) with striking and some pressure reaction drills. On side of that there were extra classes depending on numbers at a fiver each class.

The timetable states they were introductory for some/tweaking and drilling for the experienced. The courses ranged from mixed range fighting, closed knife defense, freefight knife defense. I have also attended courses on ground escapes, nage waza (throwing techniques), kansetsu waza (joint/grapple locking techniques).

Overall I think the Waza Kai dojo has helped me improve aspects of my Shotokan karate too. I have started to loosen up the rigidity of the last four years, and it can only serve to strengthen both arts.

Ossu
    Dragon_Dream

in my opinion the €60 is good value....i know others training some arts who are paying upto 90 a month!!!

90?! I wouldn't know since my experience with clubs aside from Waza Kai had been college clubs which are cheap because they are subsidised by student unions. Of course they are a good on the side training or introduction training to arts that may not be established in someone's hometown.

Last night's fitness assessment was interesting! But the intermediate students survived is all I can say.

did you do the fitness test last night? im not required to do one yet thank god :P

No luckily. I'm not up to grade yet to do it. Green belts and above. Of course one incentive to move up the kyu grades is to learn more techniques and combinations and finally that black belt.

One interesting aspect I find is that Mike Carrol has his intermediate and advanced grades take instructor assessments too. So they re able to instruct too. In the long term, they will know their stuff inside out, each technique step by step and the important small details to point out when needed.

In the reeeeally long term, Waza Kai will have a next generation of excellent instructors, which I see is something pretty cool. It is after all, a style of goshin jujitsu (modern self defense jujitsu). And from what we've seen so far, very effective at what it's goals are.
    Some past students have left to pursue mixed martial arts and compete in MMA competitions, but the majority are in it for the self defense and training and there is also a strong camaraderie as expected from any good martial arts club.

See you thursday night then. Laters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 firstroundtko

I still think youz are all mad for paying that amount of money for a Martial art/self defence class. (Youz all must be loaded down in limerick:D) I don't think that waza kai is value for money, and it's certainly not the best martial art/self defence club that i ever trained at. In fact it's probably the worst.

But if youz all are enjoying training in waza kai and feel youz all are getting something out of the training then i wish ye all the best of luck training.

Well I had my head stuck in the clouds from shotokan karate for a few years. So it was just an eye opener on how a different system works. I knew that hen I got my head knocked around by the MMA fellas in UL. despite that I still see myself as a karate-ka.

We aren't loaded, but people go extra length and measures to train with a club or sensei they like. Some drive all the way up from Mallow for their club, some drive down to Cork for seminars with karate legends.

Some friends of mine drink less and eat better because of it for the money they need to save, and to perform better at the club's demands.

I still think youz are all mad for paying that amount of money for a Martial art/self defence class. (Youz all must be loaded down in limerick:D) I don't think that waza kai is value for money, and it's certainly not the best martial art/self defence club that i ever trained at. In fact it's probably the worst.

But if youz all are enjoying training in waza kai and feel youz all are getting something out of the training then i wish ye all the best of luck training.

I think thats one of the fairest replies ive ever seen on boards. I joined the mikes club for 2 things..1) to aid weight loss 2) to learn some basic self defence i didnt join it to be the next ufc champ or the next bruce lee.. mike has even said it himself numerous times this is not an mma class it is street defense which i find it very good for. As for the 60 yo yo price...i like training with mike the classes are fun and the lads and ladies there are good people

I think thats one of the fairest replies ive ever seen on boards. I joined the mikes club for 2 things..1) to aid weight loss 2) to learn some basic self defence i didnt join it to be the next ufc champ or the next bruce lee.. mike has even said it himself numerous times this is not an mma class it is street defense which i find it very good for. As for the 60 yo yo price...i like training with mike the classes are fun and the lads and ladies there are good people

I agree. The only thing I don't get enough of is a good warm down/cool down/stretch. But that is up to myself to do.

But all the people there are helpful and like to give pointers, especially the ones with more experience. If I don't like the atmosphere of a club I wouldn't train there. I am not talking about competitive nature, as I can be quite competitive in the karate circuit, I am talking about attitudes and getting along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Interesting reading. I had heard some negative stuff on the grapevine (seems that the only thing some MA people like better than training and fighting is bitching about other clubs ;)) so it's nice to get the other side of the story.

And €60 for 8 classes is pretty good but €100 for teh membership is steep, especially if you have to pay it more or less straight away. I thought most clubs let it slide either for a few months or even to 1st grading?

Interesting reading. I had heard some negative stuff on the grapevine (seems that the only thing some MA people like better than training and fighting is bitching about other clubs ;)) so it's nice to get the other side of the story.

And €60 for 8 classes is pretty good but €100 for teh membership is steep, especially if you have to pay it more or less straight away. I thought most clubs let it slide either for a few months or even to 1st grading?

Very good point on the 100 euro annual membership fee. It feels like an annual membership to anything, that you feel obliged to do it regularly or it's a loss. But the bigger point is that if the club really isn't getting you anywhere is that it really is a loss... like a deposit taken from you by a bad landlord.

Like most clubs, Mike lets potential new members sit in a couple of classes to see if they are interested in joining.

At least the do-gis are very good quality coming from Gi-Ko. They have lasted a few years from what I hear. At fifty quid a do-gi, they ought to be that quality. I remember asking Mike if I should have worn my karate light jacket do-gi on the very first class I went to... Luckily the class wasn't about clinch work and grappling or else the sleeves would have been gone.

I invested in a dogi pretty quickly...

Better get to bed. Mike Jr is teaching padwork tomorrow. Should be wrecked by the end of it.

How did the pad work go? i missed it today i was at installing some security at home....plus in still battered and bruised after thursdays class :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm really interested in taking this up again. Can anyone tell me what nights Mike does training? I'd probably have to give up other sports to fit MA into my schedule :(

An File wrote: »
    I'm really interested in taking this up again. Can anyone tell me what nights Mike does training? I'd probably have to give up other sports to fit MA into my schedule :(

Howya.

Training Tuesday and Thursdays at 8:00-9:30 as always. I only know the adult classes. Dunno the teenage class timetable though. Usually they are before the adult class.

Good to see familiar faces at the dojo as well.

All the Best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 michaeltoomey

Hey,

I took part in Mike's class years ago when it was being held inside in UL. I'm interested in coming back down and learning again...where is it being held these days? One guy said Windmill Street, another said Ryan's Timber Yard? Its still on Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:00-9:30, right?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Hey,

I took part in Mike's class years ago when it was being held inside in UL. I'm interested in coming back down and learning again...where is it being held these days? One guy said Windmill Street, another said Ryan's Timber Yard? Its still on Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:00-9:30, right?

Cheers

Hiya.

Good to hear. Yes it is Windmill Street which is across the road from the Windmill Bar on Henry Street just a little further up from that Asian food store (Cheung Heng Hong).

Once you walk in the gates of the yard you'll see the waza kai poster on the door. Tue/Thu 8PM-9:30PM

Hope the self defense course goes well wednesday.

Lost of new faces turining up these days class has grown to a nice size with a nice mix of grades....

@ An file was that you last night? long hair purple belt?

Lost of new faces turining up these days class has grown to a nice size with a nice mix of grades....

@ An file was that you last night? long hair purple belt?

Sorry, only saw this post now!
    No, I've taken up soccer again, so it couldn't have been me there that night.
    That, and the fact that I'd be nowhere near purple belt yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Minof

Hello,

I was wondering, what times do people come if they want to join? Is it only the training times that they can visit or can they call down during the day?
    Also are kids welcome and what age groups?

Minof wrote: »
    Hello,

I was wondering, what times do people come if they want to join? Is it only the training times that they can visit or can they call down during the day?
    Also are kids welcome and what age groups?

It's usually best to join at the beginning of the month where you can pay for the whole month's training. Or else you'd be paying it per class which may be more expensive (I am unsure if that is true). Mike usually allows prospective members to sit in or look in for a class or two before they join from what I recall.

Yes it is training times, that is best to visit because the dojo is locked until then. So 7:45 is a good time Tuesday, and 7:00 Thursdays. You'll probably see the members hanging around outside the door if it is still locked.

I think Kids classes are Thursdays so that's why the opening time is an hour earlier. Age group, I don't have an exact answer. I may be wrong, in that it could only be the Teenage class that is running (from 8-15 year olds). Worth ringing them or calling to them Tuesday or Thursday evening.

Hope that is somewhat useful. Can the other members clarify this? I have taken a break from training for now due to personal reasons but hope to be back there soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 playonwords

Hey Guys,

I am interested in taking up MA again, i have looked at a few places around Limerick already but havent sat in on any classes yet.

I was in a really good Kickboxing club years ago as a teenager, and i enjoyed the fitness side of it more than the technical or competative side.

I am looking for a place that offers a nice relaxed atmosphere but is a good work out at the same time, can you tell me what kind of workout you get from waza kai or jujitsu as im completely ignorant as to what style MA they are....

thanks

From my 6 months at Waza Kai jujitsu, the training varies in difficulty.

I should say this though, that the instructor does test you on fitness as you go up the belts. Most of the fitness training is part of the warm up.

The warm up usually consists of jogging , jumping jacks, push ups, short burst sit ups ( doesn't wear you out until thirty or forty are done usually), knees-to-chest on your back for the lower abs and pelvic area...

To be honest I prefer a more rounded work out with more stretching after getting the blood and sweat going, but that's my biased take on it.

The fitness you get in class depends on what Mike is teaching.
    -If it is striking, the pad work for punch and kick drills will get you panting and soaked.
    -Same goes for most groundwork techniques since you are probably using a lot of your core muscles when on the ground. Then there is the odd end of class groundfighting sessions. Always great for fitness.
    -But in self defense drills with joint locking with some strikes, the class slows down a bit and the work out isn't much, but these classes focus on techniques for you to learn for muscle memory.

So, I guess it can be sid the club is pretty well rounded and its good it offers the self defense side, meaning most techniques Mike shows he'll put in a realistic scenario, like why you step back into L stance with head down to prevent someone headbutting or kicking in the groin...

I think the best part is that you can bring in some of your past martial arts learning into it and find out what works for you. Like as a karate practitioner I still practice high kicks for competition and for training. But I'd never use it in a street fight/combat situation unless I'm reall good at it with a keen timing (timing you'll notice is something Mike would teach in his drills to take advantage of someone who is stunned or going down).

On a final note: I would say the atmosphere is very relaxed. You may be put off by the higher belts being huddled in a group, but let hey, they go to school together the most of them. They also tend to be the rowdiest. But they are all sound as a pound. You can go to any belt and they'd be happy to help with techniques.

It's definitely not strict as karate where you have to sit seiza properly, bow Rei properly, and bow and say "ossu" all the time. But Mike still likes to bow in/out, and is keen on safety as well, if he doesn't like something he'll say it.

Hope this helps.

From my 6 months at Waza Kai jujitsu, the training varies in difficulty.

I should say this though, that the instructor does test you on fitness as you go up the belts. Most of the fitness training is part of the warm up.

The warm up usually consists of jogging , jumping jacks, push ups, short burst sit ups ( doesn't wear you out until thirty or forty are done usually), knees-to-chest on your back for the lower abs and pelvic area...

To be honest I prefer a more rounded work out with more stretching after getting the blood and sweat going, but that's my biased take on it.

The fitness you get in class depends on what Mike is teaching.
    -If it is striking, the pad work for punch and kick drills will get you panting and soaked.
    -Same goes for most groundwork techniques since you are probably using a lot of your core muscles when on the ground. Then there is the odd end of class groundfighting sessions. Always great for fitness.
    -But in self defense drills with joint locking with some strikes, the class slows down a bit and the work out isn't much, but these classes focus on techniques for you to learn for muscle memory.

So, I guess it can be sid the club is pretty well rounded and its good it offers the self defense side, meaning most techniques Mike shows he'll put in a realistic scenario, like why you step back into L stance with head down to prevent someone headbutting or kicking in the groin...

I think the best part is that you can bring in some of your past martial arts learning into it and find out what works for you. Like as a karate practitioner I still practice high kicks for competition and for training. But I'd never use it in a street fight/combat situation unless I'm reall good at it with a keen timing (timing you'll notice is something Mike would teach in his drills to take advantage of someone who is stunned or going down).

On a final note: I would say the atmosphere is very relaxed. You may be put off by the higher belts being huddled in a group, but let hey, they go to school together the most of them. They also tend to be the rowdiest. But they are all sound as a pound. You can go to any belt and they'd be happy to help with techniques.

It's definitely not strict as karate where you have to sit seiza properly, bow Rei properly, and bow and say "ossu" all the time. But Mike still likes to bow in/out, and is keen on safety as well, if he doesn't like something he'll say it.

Hope this helps.

Thats a pretty much perfect summary of mikes class's....im at it 9 months now and love it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Hey ive been training with mike for a few years and im now a purple belt. His system is designed for a realistic seld defence system on the street- all of what the lads above said is basically true.

His classes are great craic and (if you put in the effort) will have you sweating at the end of it. Pricewise its expensive, but you do get value for value for money (60euro @12 classes per mionth-a friend of mine pays 13 persession of thai boxing!). the sparring courses are the best craic in my opinion- 2 lads face off kicks, punches and takedowns! great fun! hope i helped

I've pretty much made my mind up to get back into this in the new year. Are the training nights still on Tuesday and Thursday? I want to drop in and watch a session or two before I sign up again (haven't done MA in four and a half years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Training nights (for adult classes) are 8 til 9 30 on Tuesday and Thursday. Teenage classes are on right before the Thursday adult class.

There is also a Saturday class but this is for teenagers and tends to be more relaxed. There are kids classes also on saturday too. Hope i helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TwoByTwo

Hey Guys!
    Im thinking of joining ju jitsu. Some of my friends do it but they say theres some awkward positions with the guys/girls? True?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Nathan-Sla

Hi im seriously interested in taking up a new martial art,Im doing Krav Maga at present and loving it.Just wondering would this be good for someone who is hoping to be a garda after finishing collage or would it be to severe for use as a guard.

Hey all

Just to clear up something that was posted earlier in the thread. The yearly membership for the club is 35 euro not 100 euro. So its 35 + your class fees...

Training times for adults
    Tuesdays 8-9:30
    Thursdays 8-9:30

Any other questions drop me a pm and ill be glad to answer..into my second year training with mike and love it!

TwoByTwo wrote: »
    Hey Guys!
    Im thinking of joining ju jitsu. Some of my friends do it but they say theres some awkward positions with the guys/girls? True?
    Thanks

I was a fat lard ass powerlifter when i started....if i can get into the positions anyone can!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement