Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mahon Falls C&C

• 07-01-2009 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

I paid a visit up to Mahon Falls yesterday with the promise of clear weather by my side. I wasn't quite prepared
    for temps of -6C and colder. None-the-less the skies were a clear blue and because of the temps there were
    formations of icicles which are always good subjects! I wanted to get some practice into my slow shutter speeds.
    Comments & critique very much appreciated. Click the image for a larger version. :)

3174350077_a7e4d9a6c6.jpg

3174344359_acebb23a39.jpg

3175144914_b5bdbffe7b.jpg

3175137638_37b4180b77.jpg

3175080938_7fca00dc76.jpg

3175080906_fae452ee22.jpg

3175080860_5529f5e189.jpg

8. This was the temp gauge when leaving Mahon Falls.

3175080836_35feac5dbe.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I like all your images, its not easy getting detail in shadow with the bright sunlight aswell ! I love the icicle ones. Did you have a good pair of gloves ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The -6 is the reason for the clear skys :)
    First one looks good..especially large, don't like the cotton candy affect on the water though...alittle bit is nice but not that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

The place must have been deserted there yesterday. I like the "cotton candy" effect water it looks frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I like 2, 3, 5 & 7. Nicely captured.

I did a couple of those type shots near a weir to me but I would love to go down to Killarney to the Torc waterfall & photograph that. (One day soon maybe).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Been meaning to say this for ages and this is not just aimed here but am I in a minority who prefers normal looking water rather than the sudsy water.
    Besides that quibble I like the wide open landscape shots of 1, 2 and I like #6 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

5 6 and 7 are really talking to me, 7 in particular. I really like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

5 6 and 7 are really talking to me, 7 in particular
    ....thats cause your ear is too close to the screen ! :rolleyes::p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

5 and 7 are really nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Some great pics especially the first one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Did you have a good pair of gloves ?

I wore no gloves and didn't really feel the cold weather but saying that, there was no wind so it seemed more mild than anything. That and when you're constantly climbing I must have kept my body temps up!
    It was nearly deserted. There were two families there to speak of but they just merely fluted around by the stream.

I'm in two minds myself about the slow shutter water effect (cotton candy :D) but never really tried it out so there seemed like the best place as any.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Excellent shots and fair play to you for braving the Cold but it looks like it was worth it. I love 1 & 2 (particularly the wideness of #1) and I like #7 as well.
    Do you mind me asking what lens you used for #1?

Excellent shots and fair play to you for braving the Cold but it looks like it was worth it. I love 1 & 2 (particularly the wideness of #1) and I like #7 as well.
    Do you mind me asking what lens you used for #1?

Cheers man. For image #1 I just used the kit lens 18-55mm as it's the widest angle lens I have, opposed to a 50mm 1.8 which I used for the second half of the shots and a 28-300mm which I didn't use at all. :)

I got some really bad looks off the second family that were there. For shot #6 I had to kinda get into the middle of one of the small side waterfalls, cradle myself over a large rock and snap with the Gorillapod barely grasping the rock. Words don't really do it justice, you'd have to see it with your own eyes :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Great photos. The small figure in image 2 makes it for me by giving a sense of scale.

How do you get to Mahon Falls?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Love the first one. Great spot,was at it a couple of months ago.Hard to find it,but if you get near it ther is lots of signs to it. Tipp waterford border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Some really good images there.. Love the ice ones.. Suffering for your art.. Must have been baltic..

Cheers lads.

I wasn't sure whether or not to clone out the person on shot#2 but I decided on leaving him in for that aforementioned sense of scale.

Baltic it certainly was :)

As for getting to Mahon Falls first you have to get to Carrick-On-Suir... There are no signs there for Mahon Falls but look around for the bridge!
    Once you go over that bridge there's a fork in the road. Turn right, and shortly after, Mahon Falls will be signposted.
    Sorry bout the poor directions but maybe someone here who's from around that are might be able to give you something more detailed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Been meaning to say this for ages and this is not just aimed here but am I in a minority who prefers normal looking water rather than the sudsy water.
    Besides that quibble I like the wide open landscape shots of 1, 2 and I like #6 too.

defo sudsy, shows movement and energy so much more, also alot more skillful and challenging shot, still water looks very point and shoot to me these days

TJM wrote: »

Handiest way probably is to get to Waterford city first and then head for Cork. About 15 miles out the Cork road you come to a village called Kilmacthomas (the village is bypassed) and then just passed the village there's a right turn and Mahon Falls is signposted. From there the falls are only a couple of miles away and are signposted all the way.
    On the way up the mountain there's a very cool spot where if you stop your car and put it in neutral it will roll UP a hill, thats right UP! (You gotta see it to believe it)

On the way up the mountain there's a very cool spot where if you stop your car and put it in neutral it will roll UP a hill, thats right UP! (You gotta see it to believe it)

Doe that actually work? I saw it on a website promoting Mahon Falls and I immediately dismissed it as a marketing ploy!

Doe that actually work? I saw it on a website promoting Mahon Falls and I immediately dismissed it as a marketing ploy!

It works alright, was sceptical myself until I saw it for myself. That was years ago and I've since brought loads of people to show them, everyone is always sceptical until they see it. Its class, the car not only rolls up the hill but it actually gathers speed. To the point where you have to brake because it can get quite fast.
    Try it next time your there. As you drive in the gate, over the cattle grid you go down a hill, at the bottom of the hill there's a small tree growing on your left hand side. Stop the car at the bottom of that hill by the tree and it will start rolling back up it.

EDIT: I just googled "mahon falls magic road" and theres loads of stuff on it including loads of YouTube videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

TJM wrote: »

If you go from Carrick on Suir to Dungarvan or Waterford to Dungarvan you'll find plenty signposts for it. Or you can sign up for the Sean Kelly cycling tour and you might never forget it.

They used to have "Magic Road" signs there but they kept getting nicked.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34176966@N04/3180140917/

Great photos btw.

Advertisement