Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming of European areas of high and low pressure

Options
  • 07-01-2009 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, long time since I was in this neck of the woods.

Have a look at this picture.... A snap of ZDF's weather forecast for Germany a couple of nights back.

zdfwetter.jpg

Now, I've never seen or heard it on British or Irish forecasts, but are areas of low pressure and anticyclones named in Europe? Minen deutsch ist nicht so gud, so I wasnt able to catch what the fraulein was saying.

I thought it was only for cyclonic areas during hurricane season in the North Atlantic and monsoon season in Asia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

I like the way they have her name and qualifications under it. I wonder if we could have that here?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Oh dear, Queue the jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I read about this before, I think they have competitions to name the pressure cells. Whole thing is totally daft and stupid imho.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Whole thing is totally daft and stupid imho.

As stupid as naming hurricanes and tropical depressions? Why not just use Hurricane Alpha 2009, Bravo 2009 etc?

It's just a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Depression Cowan,

Hurricane Lenehan,

Whirlwind McCreevey...

This could be fun! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement