Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda United

Options
  • 07-01-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭

Heard on radio that the settlement offer deadline is at 5pm today.

What's going to happen if the staff reject the offer? And if they accept it, how it the club going to improve it finances for next season? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

I can't really see the club surviving to be honest. Also how much support are they going to get at games if they put a team together for next year. My wish is that if the club can survive is to field a team full of local players to get people through the turnstiles to watch them. I know we were always a yo-yo club (up until recent years) but I think it's time for to go down this route. It can't be much worse than the Harry Mc cue era and some of the players he had at the club. Drogheda has had a lot of underage success recently and I'm sure these players can be brought through to become good senior players.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Dont think the deadline will be stuck to tbh .The club is at a meet abbotstown with fai and players union as we speak .One step at a time is how we should go .First div football with a team full of locals would be a massive success considering the position we are in. Anyway i hope im not breakin any rules by posting this .

Benifit gig is confirmed for sat 10 jan in the venue in McHughs .Bands and dj,s - Geriko , mohawk jeff plus the external sounds DJ,S . Tickets will be onsale from mc hughs , the clubhouse and from paddy murphy in corcorans in dyer st .Anyone who reckons they can sell some tickets let us know and we can get some to you .Big thanks to sandra and mchughs for all there help

My only fear with all the fundraising going on is that the same few hundred loyal followers of the club are going to be unable to give any more money than they already have given. When is this all going to end? What recognition did any of the supporters receive when they gave up money to keep the club afloat become patrons back in the late 90's. There was no mention of this during the last few successful years. (by the way I was not one of these but I think their names should have been put on plaque or something similar outside the club). I think anyone that is willing to take out a bank loan if the club comes out of examinership should be held in the highest regard by the club and treated the same as they treated all the VIPs during the boom years.

I hope the club pull through and hats off to everyone involved in trying to resolve this absolute nightmare scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Please God Let the Drogs find the money from somewhere. It would be a shame to see such a good club go down. Louth needs two decent soccer teams. Give the locals a chance if necessary.

Best of luck with the fundraising.

A true soccer Fan. Come on Dundalk. Lets get behind the Drogs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

I hope that Drogheda United come through this… however (and please don’t attack this post as I admit that I don’t know the full story) can somebody explain to me if/how the decision to locate the Stadium in Bryanstown - and the failure to secure the planning permission for the few thousand houses alongside it – has been a factor in the downfall of the fortunes of the Club.

Do fans of Drogheda United think that moving the grounds out of the town was a good idea?

I hate to think of hard working Drogheda people parting with money to make up for bad business decisions.

Please correct me if I have taken the situation up wrong. (I know that other teams across the country are having financial difficulties also).

• Advertisement

Please God Let the Drogs find the money from somewhere. It would be a shame to see such a good club go down. Louth needs two decent soccer teams. Give the locals a chance if necessary.

Best of luck with the fundraising.

A true soccer Fan. Come on Dundalk. Lets get behind the Drogs:)

You have renewed my faith in humanity :) Thanks mate :)

Kaylee wrote: »
    I hope that Drogheda United come through this… however (and please don’t attack this post as I admit that I don’t know the full story) can somebody explain to me if/how the decision to locate the Stadium in Bryanstown - and the failure to secure the planning permission for the few thousand houses alongside it – has been a factor in the downfall of the fortunes of the Club.

Do fans of Drogheda United think that moving the grounds out of the town was a good idea?

I hate to think of hard working Drogheda people parting with money to make up for bad business decisions.

Please correct me if I have taken the situation up wrong. (I know that other teams across the country are having financial difficulties also).

Your asking a lot of quetions there , maybe you should look here (www.irishfootienetwork.com )if you want different opinions . Would be hard to go into detail here . Club made lots of mistakes and the fans are trying to keep the club alive .Please god we do , it would be a total disaster for Drogheda to loose its club .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Best of luck tomorrow Drogs. The region needs to strong teams and imagine the crowds that would be at matches if both teams were doing well in the premier.

Thanks mate hope to god we can make it past this .Bring on the louth derby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Kaylee wrote: »

The 4,000(?) houses and 10,000 stadium (did they even get 2,000 into United Park?) was never going to happen - who the hell was supposed to live in these houses? They were trying to push this deal through up until the middle of last year when it had been obvious for at least a couple of years that it was an absolutely crazy idea. This would have been disastrous for the local economy and thats why there were objections!! I'm sure the developers didn't put all the money up for this either.

It's sad to see that people lost so much money but you cannot run professional clubs in a league that offers no return. It's proven time and time again.

G'luck to the Drogs!

• Advertisement

im afraid your talking nonsense .And we did get 2000 and over on lots of occasions in the last couple of seasons. " This would have been disastrous for the local economy and thats why there were objections!! " Please explain how in gods name the staduim , plus the rest of the proposed development would be a disaster for Drogheda ? :rolleyes: And thanks for your negative comments while were all worried sick about loosing our football club .You a gaa man by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

It's sad to see that people lost so much money but you cannot run professional clubs in a league that offers no return. It's proven time and time again.

G'luck to the Drogs!

Fully agree, they were living way beyond their means, lots of creditors left with only 2c in the €. The 10000 seater looked a white elephant, were 30% of the peoprl of drogs really going to see them weekly when United park was rarely full

The was the point of trying to build a new stadium wasnt it .Lots of people wont go to utd pk or bring families to games because of the state of the place , and the intention was to try and get not only the people of Drogheda but of the surrounding areas and the entire region to come to a stadium that we could all be proud off . The negativity of people in this country never ceases to amaze me .If people would get up off the bar stools and follow there own clubs instead of choosing to follow manu and celtic we would alot better off :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The was the point of trying to build a new stadium wasnt it .Lots of people wont go to utd pk or bring families to games because of the state of the place , and the intention was to try and get not only the people of Drogheda but of the surrounding areas and the entire region to come to a stadium that we could all be proud off . The negativity of people in this country never ceases to amaze me .If people would get up off the bar stools and follow there own clubs instead of choosing to follow manu and celtic we would alot better off :confused:

As a long time Newry City supporter, who regularly attends our games, and someone who also attends Oriel Park every year (I live beside it!), maybe half a dozen times, I couldn't but echo your sentiments. I have no interest in English or Scottish football. Pity more locals weren't the same. :(

Another 4,000 empty units. 8,000 empty seats every week. God knows how many million down the drain. Silly me. That's just what the area needs. :rolleyes:

no the area needs total negativity from the likes of you .Thank god drogheda utd didnt get a chance to build an amazing staduim that could have been used by lots of different sporting organisations in the country never mind the local area .Anyway we will soilder on regardless and hopefully avoid extinction on thurs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chemicalfred

Hopefully the Drogs will pull thru this. I am a noobie supporter have been going to matches in United Pk since 06. Really enjoyed the buzz. Looked forward to my Friday night soccer and a jar in Motherhughs. I am from outside the town too so maybe there was/is a market for supporters. Hope they survive.

Southlouth type your not or have been the PRO by any chance?:) I agree with your sentiments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

I have every sympathy for the geniuine Drogs fans, and would like to see the club continue - but I was asked for money the other day, and to be honest there was no way that I'd give over money when the club was so blatantly being mismanaged (misguided?) and living so obviously beyond it's means. As I say, I have sympathy for the fans, but the club and it's management brought on the predicament they find themselves in now apparently wilfully and by themselves.

Dundalk and Fingal seem to be following the same path....will EL clubs never learn?

Dundalk and Fingal seem to be following the same path....will EL clubs never learn?

Can i ask why you think Dundalk is going down a similar path? We are living within our means and not racking up debts.

I agree with the rest of your post though. I hope if/when the drogs come through this the ones that got them into this mess in the first place are not in charge of the club.

no the area needs total negativity from the likes of you .Thank god drogheda utd didnt get a chance to build an amazing staduim that could have been used by lots of different sporting organisations in the country never mind the local area .Anyway we will soilder on regardless and hopefully avoid extinction on thurs :rolleyes:

There is/was no demand for that kind of development in this area. Call me negative all you want. I call it being realistic.

The club has done great things for the area. I'll keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Well done Drogs on the result today. Can't wait til the Louth Derbies next year!

Great news for the club, I'm delighted.

Hopefully now they can bring in John Gill to take over the team. I have no doubt he will be looking for the job anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Best of luck Drogs, on the season ahead and having John Gill as Manager.
    Gills a good manager but hes not a People person.

Will you be staying in the premier or dropping down to the first division??

Hopefully the prem but the first will do tbh ,just happy to still be alive .As regards gill , not to bothered about his personality we have just had doolin for years and hes an ignorant git :D hes a winner though .

Hopefully the club find a way of encouraging as many supporters as possible to go to home games, although I think if they are going to charge €20 entry per adult again for next season it will put a lot of people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

doncarlos wrote: »
    Can i ask why you think Dundalk is going down a similar path? We are living within our means and not racking up debts.

Chat was that Dundalk last season in the 1st Division had a bigger wage bill than a good few Premier clubs - including clubs that were close to going to the wall (and still are?)? Open to correction. We can only imagine what it'll be like this season but presumably it will be higher again, especially with Sean Connor involved, he is the wrong man to have about a club if you're operating a small wage budget...speculation is rife that he's touting a good few Irish League players with astronomical money on the table, same old same old and the same sh*te that was rife when he was in charge at Bohs.

Congrats to the Drogs for avoiding extinction - hopefully they'll move forward on a better advised and more sustainable footing from here.

Chat was that Dundalk last season in the 1st Division had a bigger wage bill than a good few Premier clubs - including clubs that were close to going to the wall (and still are?)? Open to correction. We can only imagine what it'll be like this season but presumably it will be higher again, especially with Sean Connor involved, he is the wrong man to have about a club if you're operating a small wage budget...speculation is rife that he's touting a good few Irish League players with astronomical money on the table, same old same old and the same sh*te that was rife when he was in charge at Bohs.

Ha ya gotta love the wild rumours! :D

Our wages are 12k a week whereas the Drogs was 45k a week last season. with Bohs, Pats and Cork similar. So you can't compare like for like.
    Yes Connor has spent a lot of money at Bohs but he only spent what was given to him and it will be the same at Dundalk. We have other avenue streams that other clubs don't such as pitch rental and bar revenue.
    Dundalk F.C. are one of the only clubs in the league that made a profit last season and i wouldn't be surprised if we we're close to it again this season as our playing budget hasn't gone up by that much.

Apologies to the Drogs for going off topic. See ya on Valentine's night! Poor Fabio will get dogs abuse i'm sure :D

Advertisement