Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derby v Manchester United - CC Semi Final (1st Leg)

• 07-01-2009 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

b_7.png Derby V Manchester United b_12.png

Live on Sky Sports 1 from 7.30 (kick off at 7.45).

Manchester United (from): Kuszczak, Foster, Amos, Neville, Rafael, Vidic, Evans, O'Shea, Nani, Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Gibson, Possebon, Giggs, Park, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Welbeck.

Cant get the Derby squad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cakewalk for Manchester tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

foster
    raf
    vidic
    evans
    oshea
    gibson----possebon----anderson----park

tevez
    wellback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Kuszczak
    Rafael---Vidic
    Evans---O'Shea
    -Nani--Possebon-Gibson--Anderson
    Tevez

Wellbeck

Possebon, Gibson, Rafeal, Evans all deserve to play in the Semis and final after getting us this far.

I would have Park in there after him not playing at the weekend but I think his energy will be kept for Chelsea so the only real option for left mid is Anderson. Hoping Tosic might be good for a run out in the second leg.

Little disappointed Fabio ain't around the squad but it could still be too early for the chap and O'Shea brings some experience to the side and will prob not be playing at the weekend anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Kuszczak
    Rafael---Vidic
    Evans---O'Shea
    -Nani--Possebon-Gibson--Anderson
    Tevez

Wellbeck

Possebon, Gibson, Rafeal, Evans all deserve to play in the Semis and final after getting us this far.

I would have Park in there after him not playing at the weekend but I think his energy will be kept for Chelsea so the only real option for left mid is Anderson. Hoping Tosic might be good for a run out in the second leg.

Little disappointed Fabio ain't around the squad but it could still be too early for the chap and O'Shea brings some experience to the side and will prob not be playing at the weekend anyway.

can see Vidic being rested - Neville or O'Shea at CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I'd like to see

Foster

Raf--Neville--Evans--O'Shea--

Park-Fletcher-Anderson-Nani

Tevez----Wellbeck

Above all I'd love to see wellbeck play again and get another chance to see what he's made of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kida wrote: »

so whole be left back then

kida wrote: »
    so whole be left back then

Yeah O'Shea really isn't an option with no one else available for LB. Neville is but I expect him to play against Chelsea so three games in a week could be too much.
    deisedevil wrote: »
    I'd like to see

Foster

Raf--Neville--Evans--O'Shea--

Park-Fletcher-Anderson-Nani

Tevez----Wellbeck

Above all I'd love to see wellbeck play again and get another chance to see what he's made of.

Do you not think its a bit harsh on Gibson, and Possebon to be dropped for the semi final after getting us there?

Do you not think its a bit harsh on Gibson, and Possebon to be dropped for the semi final after getting us there?

Nope. Its a cup semi final. There's a balance. I think united can make the final without playing too many 1st teamers but it would be lunacy to play reserves in the final.

It's about playing the strongest team needed to win, not giving youngsters a go out of their depth (not saying they are necessarily out of their depth btw)

Nope. Its a cup semi final. There's a balance. I think united can make the final without playing too many 1st teamers but it would be lunacy to play reserves in the final.

It's about playing the strongest team needed to win, not giving youngsters a go out of their depth (not saying they are necessarily out of their depth btw)

IMO they have proven they are capable at this level, and capable of winning the game and therefore they should be given the opportunity to keep going. Otherwise when are they going to get the opportunity to prove they are up to it.

Plus with a strong bench any disasters should be easily avoided especially with a second leg at OT to come.

I also believe if we get to the final the same players should be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Foster
    Raf--Neville--Evans--O'Shea
    Park--Possebon--Gibson--Nani
    Tevez

Wellbeck

I wouldn't mind Anderson playing in place of either Possebon or Gibson because I think the midfield there is quite weak (physically). If either of them missed the first leg, I'd expect to see the other in the second leg.

I think Welbeck should definitely start. He played well against Southampton, and it's not often he'll get the chance to play couple of first team games in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Yep it would be harsh on them but there is no fair way of doing things when it comes to a semi final.

If we got to the final would they be playing?

deisedevil wrote: »
    If we got to the final would they be playing?

IMO if they get us there yes they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think it's disgracefully disrespectful for a manager to use the fringe players and reserve teamers in the early rounds then tell them to feck off, thanks for getting us here, but we'll do without now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

When I was starting junior soccer, was playing for local B team. We reached the county final before 7 of us were dropped for the final when we were replaced by the A team using our names :mad:

Pr!ck of a manager.

Back on topic, I think the yound players that got us into this position should be given their games tonight. If Derby get a result (unlikely), then things can be turned around at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

A similar if not identical team to that which beat Southampton should be playing tonight. If they did the job in almost identical situations (Away at an out of form Championship side) then they can do it again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

An out-of-form Championship side with an inspirational new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

An File wrote: »
    An out-of-form Championship side with an inspirational new manager.

To be honest I can't see Nigel Clough doing much between yesterday and today.

Des wrote: »
    I think it's disgracefully disrespectful for a manager to use the fringe players and reserve teamers in the early rounds then tell them to feck off, thanks for getting us here, but we'll do without now.

Almost every premiership manager does this in the FA Cup until they get an all Premiership tie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

To be honest I can't see Nigel Clough doing much between yesterday and today.

In practical terms you're probably completely right.

However, it's happened so many times that teams have raised their standards when new management was annonunced, especially in the earliest games.

I'm not saying Derby will give United a real contest over two legs, but they just might play with more confidence for a while now that Jewell is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd actually agree with you to a degree but it's not as if it's a new thing and it's almost like a right of passage for the younger squad members to be ousted when they get further on in the competion only to be the ones to be doing the ousting once they've become established players.

• Advertisement

Put it this way would you really be that bothered if you were a youngster, rarely playing for the first team, getting to play in the league cup or FA Cup alongside some of the senior players? Not really. At the end of the day, everyone is pulling for the same club.

If they play well, they'll eventually break into the first team anyways. Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Utd Team

KUSZCZAK

RAFAEL
    EVANS
    VIDIC
    O SHEA

GIBSON
    SCHOLES
    ANDERSON

NANI
    WELBECK
    TEVEZ

BENCH , AMOS , RONALDO , POSSEBON , GIGGS , FLETCHER , ROONEY , CARRICK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PIG
    Rafael - Evans - Vidic - O'Shea
    Gibdon - Scholes - Anderson
    Welbeck - Tevez - Nani

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Interesting team , we should win with that, good to see Welbeck, Evans, Rafael and Gibson in there, slightly dissapointed to see no Possebon though.
    Anderson to score his first tonight? :pac:
    Tommy K in nets, he must be considered Number 2 at this stage, sigh.
    Nani simply has to produce the goods tonight imo. He's been an incredible let down this season but I have faith still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I think we're fairly likely to see Gibson on the right, Nani on the left with Scholes and Anderson in the centre. Delighted that Wellbeck is getting more game time aswell. I would've liked to see Vidic rested, especially with Chelsea at the weekend but we're fairly short on cover in defence atm, so it was inevitable.

I can't wait to see Welbeck playing (I missed the first half on Sunday).
    Gibson, hopefully, will be dragged up a notch by having Scholes beside him.
    Shame Foster isn't starting, hopefully we'll see him in the 2nd leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thank god they didnt rest Vidic after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ffs why is Vidic playing and where is Foster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Thank god they didnt rest Vidic after all!

+1 although he did nearly knock evans out with an accidental headbutt there:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Anybody have a decent internet link by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

fuvk me !!!!!!

1 - 0

Derby

Cracker

Great finish in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

yaY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Utd Team

KUSZCZAK

RAFAEL
    EVANS
    VIDIC
    O SHEA

GIBSON
    SCHOLES
    ANDERSON

NANI
    WELBECK
    TEVEZ

BENCH , AMOS , RONALDO , POSSEBON , GIGGS , FLETCHER , ROONEY , CARRICK

New signing ?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Its been coming. United looking very poor tonight.

• Advertisement

Indeed. I;m getting tired of Nani tbh and that was just sloppy from O'Shea.

We look terrible. Our passing is all over the place and Tevez and Wellbeck have got nothing up front. Was hoping Nani was going to stay down there a while ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

We look terrible. Our passing is all over the place and Tevez and Wellbeck have got nothing up front. Was hoping Nani was going to stay down there a while ago.

as a pool fan I believe ye need to persevere with Nani at all costs.

O'Shea and Nani have been woeful.

If Vidic wasn't there a lot more damage would have been done. Even Scholes hasn't made his presence felt at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Should of been red.

Rafael is one of the very few positives in this match.

Here come the big boys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

feck that was close from ronaldo.

Jaysus. Lucky not to go 2 down there.

Can somebody remind me why I'm watching this? I really can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Utd have been very poor tonight even after bringing on the big guns. Derby are well up for it and closing down space well.

Thank God we're not playing Inter for a few weeks yet. If we don't get ourselves together I dread to think what the score could be tbh.

Gibson's shooting from distance again. Says a lot about their performance in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Cakewalk for Manchester tbh.
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

Barazite on as a sub there. He's on a season long loan from Arsenal isn't he? Looking good for Derby. Second leg is going to be huge for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement