Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derby v Manchester United - CC Semi Final (1st Leg)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Thank God we're not playing Inter for a few weeks yet. If we don't get ourselves together I dread to think what the score could be tbh.

good thing ye can relax with chelsea on sunday eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well done the Rams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Disappointing tonight but sure not to worry. They only have the one goal. I can see Fergie playing more big players from the start in the return. We should win at Old Trafford so chin up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

An File wrote: »
    An out-of-form Championship side with an inspirational new manager.

I'm good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That is as bad as I've seen us play in a long time, at least a year anyways. Thankfully it was only the Carling Cup and thankfully there's a second leg. Lot of guys didn't show up - Anderson, Nani, Tevez, Scholes being the main ones.

Really need to sort it out for Chelsea. Of course there'll be about 8-9 changes from that starting side but you don't want doubt creeping into any side.

Oh and the Pole in Goal needs to get back to his day job, which is clearly not football. If he's a top class keeper, I'm the Pope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Derby should be ashamed of themselves, only beating that shíté 1-0. :(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

That kris commons guy looks a decent player, although I am a sucker for a sweet left foot! Someone above said rafael was a plus I thought he had a terrible game tbh, nani was very bad too. Thought two derby players were very lucky not to be carded for two fouls on the edge of teh box in the second half, one on tevez and one on rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Utd never showed up, Derby totally deserved the result .

Ps watch this thread grow.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oh and the Pole in Goal needs to get back to his day job, which is clearly not football. If he's a top class keeper, I'm the Pope.

a builder

what the **** happened

i missed the match because of work so can some one give me a match review

who was brutal and who gave a good performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Just heard the result - giddy with excitement until I realised it was 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

No................. a scouser ! The cherry on the cake. Fair play to him, one game in charge and he beats Man Utd. Not bad that.

a builder

what the **** happened

i missed the match because of work so can some one give me a match review

who was brutal and who gave a good performance

United never got started. Derby kept putting pressure on all over and United's passes were going nowhere. Tevez and Wellbeck weren't able to get a decent ball into them. Commons hit a nice strike and Derby should have had another when PIG spilled a ball 5 yards out to Hulse. United's only real chance was Ronaldo's free kick that went a foot wide or so.

Brutal: See above post. Decent: Gibson played decent and hit two nice crosses from out of position. Vidic was a one man defence at times. Thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Two things stood out from tonights game 1 how bad Evans is 2 and how brilliant vidic is

It didn't help either Evans or Vidic that our midfield was being walked through. Evans started well but made the mistake of following the man behind the backline, instead of stepping up with Vidic, towards the end of the game.

from what iv read looks like Nani was brutal again
    somthings never change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Great result for Derby,hopefully they can hold out in the second leg and get threw and somehow Burnley beat spurs.!

Derby vs Burnley Final FTW.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

somthings never change

He wasn't that bad from play but his deliveries from set pieces were shocking. He got into good positions but was always looking to turn back on his right foot. John O'Shea had the worst game I've ever seen him play, truly awful. Scholes kept giving the ball away and the PIG was poor aswell. It was a poor team performance tbh with some awful individual performances aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another Champ Manager legend strikes. Commons always had quality about him at Forest.

Not sure if I want United to go out though. Last thing I want is 'arry's grubby mits on a trophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i thought evans had a decent game..hmmm... i dunno maybe i was half asleep? rafael had a few dodgy 1st touches. ronaldo isnt half the player he was last season. AND GET HIM OFF THE FREEKICKS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

evans, nani and gibson were brutal imo, not far behind them was wellbeck, tevez, scholes and o'shea.

Kuszczak didnt have anything to do and there was no stopping that shot - i dont see your problem with him UnitedIrishman. Vidic was a beast as always....

• Advertisement

Kuszczak didnt have anything to do and there was no stopping that shot - i dont see your problem with him UnitedIrishman.

1 - His flapping at corners.
    2 - His not-coming for corners leaving Vidic to defend inside the 6 yard box.
    3 - The save from the winger (Teale) that was palmed back into the path of Hulse who blazed over from 5 yards. Any keeper, at any level, will tell you that you have to push it wide of the goal.
    4 - His miskicks, seen best when he sliced a ball into the air to about 5 yards outside the box.
    5 - His constant jumping around when the ball was either well wide or he knew he couldn't get to it.

That was my problems with him tonight alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Must agree with Unitedirishman, PIG was not atall good when called upon.
    We were rubbish tonight, with particulary poor performances from Scholes, Tevez,Evans,Rafael and Nani.

newballsplease, Evans was horrendous at times, you were indeed half asleep.
    And Ronaldos free kick was our closest effort of the game, so once more, you were asleep.

Hopefully, this will be a good kick up the arse that will spur us on on sunday.
    We should beat Derby at home in fairness, although some of their football oozed confidence and if Sunderland,Stoke,Boro and City had of played with anywhere near the kind of confidence Derby had tonight, I think we would be out of the title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The thing that would worry me about Evans on the basis of tonight was the reality that the guy who destroyed him was Rob Hulse. Seriously, the amount of times Derby hit it in his direction and he managed to get ahead of Evans, hold him off and ultimately make it stick was surprising.

Evans was caught out positionally a couple of times on top of that - but the inability to sort out the very basic stuff in a commanding fashion sets off a few alarm bells imo. If it had been Ferdinand and Vidic at the back tonight, United would have had much more of the ball - as a result of Derby being unable to play off the target man with anything like the frequency of tonight's game.

Still have no doubt that Utd advance of course. If Derby had converted the sitter towards the end then it would have been a lot more interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Another Champ Manager legend strikes. Commons always had quality about him at Forest.

Not sure if I want United to go out though. Last thing I want is 'arry's grubby mits on a trophy.

hahaha, true, true & true on all accounts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

ronaldo is rubbish at freekicks, either they hit the wall or fly over the bar. he misses the target the majority of times. what is his freekicks to goals ratio i wonder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Just woke up there, checked the result on SSN, shocking, need sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

So you want Man Utd to get this one? :confused:

Good result, don't see it happening for them in the 2nd leg though. I guess beating Man Utd in the final would be a sweeter win.

Kold wrote: »
    So you want Man Utd to get this one? :confused:

I kinda do. I'm used to United winning things so it's water off a duck's back at this stage.

I'd hate 'arry to win anything, in the same way I don't want Liverpool to win the Premiership. If it has to be United stopping both then so be it I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You'd begrudge us 2 league cups in 10 seasons? We just want to go on more European holidays! :(

Who needs trophies? Just do what we do and don't put in any tackles for a full season! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Absolutely ashamed of the performance put in last night. Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe it. I just can't believe how poorly they played, and that allowed Derby to boss them off the pitch for the full 90. If it was a shock result i could take it, but Derby were simply the better side for the entire game, at no point did united look like they could get a goal.

On the plus side, a performance like that should knock a few million of the price Tevez and Joorabchian think they are worth.

somthings never change

Watching Nani play, was like watching someone trying to exactly match Ronaldo. Every time he got the ball it seemed to be "What would Ronaldo do here?" Big problem is that Ronaldo is a lot better than him at being Ronaldo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I kinda do. I'm used to United winning things so it's water off a duck's back at this stage.

I'd hate 'arry to win anything, in the same way I don't want Liverpool to win the Premiership. If it has to be United stopping both then so be it I guess.

Your a Man City fan right? You'd rather see Man Utd win the league than Liverpool:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fair play to Derby, lets give credit where it's due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So seemingly Tevez had a bad game?

Shock horror tbh, the way he's being treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Des wrote: »

depending on what you read its him (or more likely his agents) who are refusing to negotiate until the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

kida wrote: »
    depending on what you read its him (or more likely his agents) who are refusing to negotiate until the summer.

Des probably means the fact that no matter what he did tonight he would still be on the bench on Sunday.

He was shocking last night though. Anything that went up towards our front two didn't stay there and yes this was due to good pressure and defending from Derby but IMO that is where Berbatov is different to our front players he can make the ball stick up top and let the team get further up the pitch. I also didn't see any of us much lauded work rate last night either. Wellbeck also was poor though with his touch letting him down on many occasions.

Our midfield was shocking last night. Anderson and Scholes never got a grip on the game at all. Didn't look like the putting in the energy and effort required to find some space and time in the middle. As well as their passing being poor.

Gibson playing on the right was a stupid decision as well. The guy is barely a decent center midfielder never mind a right winger. Play him in his position or don't play him.

Nanis delivery from any set piece last night was shocking. Constantly floating the ball into the keepers hand for the easiest of catches. Aside from this he did nothing as he once again he was trying to be Ronaldo.

Defense was hard to judge as I felt the got no protection from the midfield. Anderson and Scholes were being bypassed, Gibson wasn't helping Rafael who looked knackered by the end of the 90, and Nani wasn't helping O'Shea. Although everyone aside from Vidic could have put in better performances.

PIG was OK I thought but he is weak at commanding his area. A weakness that Foster has shown a few times as well. Neither keeper has been able to claim the second spot now,and at this stage I wonder if either will. I have said over the last few weeks that we may need a new keeper next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nanis delivery from any set piece last night was shocking. Constantly floating the ball into the keepers hand for the easiest of catches.

You should save that sentence somewhere to save yourself time typing after every game Nani plays.

You should save that sentence somewhere to save yourself time typing after every game Nani plays.

Most of the time his delivery from set pieces is the only thing good about his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Good post AM. Agreed fully on Nani's delivery - last season it was one of the only consistent parts of his game, and this season his corners seem to meet the first man and his free kicks are usually floated into the keeper's hands.

Last night was painful. And even though there'll be a good few changes to who lines up sunday, it's still deflating ahead of such a huge game.

Good post AM. Agreed fully on Nani's delivery - last season it was one of the only consistent parts of his game, and this season his corners seem to meet the first man and his free kicks are usually floated into the keeper's hands.

Last night was painful. And even though there'll be a good few changes to who lines up sunday, it's still deflating ahead of such a huge game.
    On the other hand, it could be the kick up the arse the squad has needed for a few weeks. Yes we were on a nice winning run, but our performances have not been good enough, so hopefully Fergie will be reading them the riot act in training again today and have everyone fired up for Sunday.

On the other hand, it could be the kick up the arse the squad has needed for a few weeks. Yes we were on a nice winning run, but our performances have not been good enough, so hopefully Fergie will be reading them the riot act in training again today and have everyone fired up for Sunday.

yap i agree

the players expected a walk over last night
    they expected to turn up and just beat derby without actually working
    hopefully we wont see another performance like that

after that performance they should be really up for the chelsea game

btw i think its the last time we'll Nani for a while (fingers crossed)

yap i agree

the players expected a walk over last night
    they expected to turn up and just beat derby without actually working
    hopefully we wont see another performance like that

after that performance they should be really up for the chelsea game

btw i think its the last time we'll Nani for a while (fingers crossed)

I know you don't like Nani but you can't really just single him from last night. Are you really ready to give up on a 22 year old after a season and half? Especially when during his first season he showed a lot of promise?

Do you really want to go the rest of the reason with only Park and Ronaldo as recognised wingers? I am discounting Tosic as we haven't seen him yet and don't know how involved he will be this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Highsider wrote: »
    Your a Man City fan right? You'd rather see Man Utd win the league than Liverpool:eek:

Tells you everythin ya need to know about the biggest Man City fan in the world

I know you don't like Nani but you can't really just single him from last night. Are you really ready to give up on a 22 year old after a season and half? Especially when during his first season he showed a lot of promise?

Do you really want to go the rest of the reason with only Park and Ronaldo as recognised wingers? I am discounting Tosic as we haven't seen him yet and don't know how involved he will be this year.

Nani has promise, sure, but he is going backwards. He looked like he could be a good player last year, but this year he has done nothing of any worth. If you were to look for posts from the summer, you would see I was hoping for a big season from Nani, I thought he would be great, I really wanted him to be. Maybe he is suffering second seasons syndrome, and we just have to wait from him to pull through it and get his head out of his arse, and I would give him the time to show that he can. However, he can't afford many more games like last night.

• Advertisement

i dont know where your getting this good first season stuff,i taught he was very average
    yes he scored excellent goals but his all round play was pitiful

but i expected that for the first season

but he has really gone backward this season
    im not sure what to make of it tbh
    maybe he's trying to be ronaldo

maybe with the arrival of tosic with might see some degree of hard work on the training ground by Nani

but right now for me
    park
    tosic
    Nani

thats how I see it and tosic hasnt even played:pac:

about your comment on ronaldo and park

Anderson is capable of playing on the left ,I think he played there a couple of times for Porto
    Fletcher has played on the wings before too

Tells you everythin ya need to know about the biggest Man City fan in the world

Why do you care so much who his support goes to? Would it make you feel better if he wanted Liverpool and Spurs to win? He's not a United, Liverpool or Spurs fan......he doesn't HAVE to root for anyone. that's what being a soccer fan is all about...choices.

Last night United were brutal, the only 2 positives are that:

A) It was only 1 nil
    B) Fergie didnt make any excuses.

Nani has promise, sure, but he is going backwards. He looked like he could be a good player last year, but this year he has done nothing of any worth. If you were to look for posts from the summer, you would see I was hoping for a big season from Nani, I thought he would be great, I really wanted him to be. Maybe he is suffering second seasons syndrome, and we just have to wait from him to pull through it and get his head out of his arse, and I would give him the time to show that he can. However, he can't afford many more games like last night.

Nani has had a disappointing season I agree but my point was that we can't cut him loose. He needs to be given time to develop and improve his decision making. He also needs to be coached properly and be told to concentrate on become a more orthodox winger rather than trying to become Ronaldo.
    i dont know where your getting this good first season stuff,i taught he was very average
    yes he scored excellent goals but his all round play was pitiful

He also had a good few assists from his set piece delivery something which has gone missing this year. And I never said good season, I said promising season.
    but i expected that for the first season

but he has really gone backward this season
    im not sure what to make of it tbh
    maybe he's trying to be ronaldo

maybe with the arrival of tosic with might see some degree of hard work on the training ground by Nani

but right now for me
    park
    tosic
    Nani

thats how I see it and tosic hasnt even played:pac:

about your comment on ronaldo and park

Anderson is capable of playing on the left ,I think he played there a couple of times for Porto
    Fletcher has played on the wings before too

Putting Tosic ahead of him in the pecking order without ever seeing him play is just incomprehensible to me. It literally makes no sense.

As for putting Anderson on the left and Fletcher on the right. I never get why people want to play people out of position. I believe Andersons development is being hampered by his role constantly changing. Something I don't want to be seeing more off.

By the way IMO Anderson has gone backwards this year as well. Has no where near the impact he had last year. But nobody seems to be getting on his back.

You have no idea how hard Nani works on the training ground. So implying he isn't working hard enough again makes no sense.

Also regarding Park yes the guy works hard and provides plenty of help to the defense and midfield. But he offers very little going forward.

Putting Tosic ahead of him in the pecking order without ever seeing him play is just incomprehensible to me. It literally makes no sense.

As for putting Anderson on the left and Fletcher on the right. I never get why people want to play people out of position. I believe Andersons development is being hampered by his role constantly changing. Something I don't want to be seeing more off.

By the way IMO Anderson has gone backwards this year as well. Has no where near the impact he had last year. But nobody seems to be getting on his back.

You have no idea how hard Nani works on the training ground. So implying he isn't working hard enough again makes no sense.

Also regarding Park yes the guy works hard and provides plenty of help to the defense and midfield. But he offers very little going forward.
    I was being sarcastic about Tosic

i was referring that Nani is so bad this season tosic would have second spot

Yes i do agree Anderson has gone backward but has had some good games unlike Nani

If utd had a great left winger ,Nani's performance wouldnt really matter because we can just say "oh doesnt really matter he's not first choice and still only 22"

but theres hardly any competition on the left wing so the Nani's display is easier to see

what i was implying about Nani training was
    hopefully with the arrival of tosic, Nani will get competition

maybe the reason for nani's display could be that berba isnt up from

berba was bought to hold up the ball and get some header goals

Nani is a good crosser of the ball ill give him that

its very hard as a winger when you cant cross the ball in when theres no berba in the middle

So that means he has to come in the inside and take on players which he cant do

but its still not an excuse for Nani's performance this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

after watching last nights game would it be fair to say that paul scholes is struggling big time at the moment.anytime i seen him this year he has been poor , i know hes had injuries but what little pace he had has gone completly. i know its hard to slag off a man who has been briliant for the club but he is a weaklink in central midfield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement