Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a 2.5bar/35psi to 5bar/75psi pumped electric shower???

Options
  • 07-01-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi all!

I bought my father a great gadget for xmas for the shower in the house. Unfortunately it requires a minimum pressure of between 35psi and 75psi to power it.

Note: It's an illuminating shower head that changes colour depending on the temperature of the water. It's powered by water pressure hence the need for a powerful shower. And no, it doesn't use batteries.

The only possibility to get this stupid thing going is to replace the old electric shower upstairs with a pumped electric shower or pumped mixer shower.

I presuming that since there is already an electric shower there that a pumped electric shower is the best one to go for...

I know there is a Monsoon pump that can be bought for a mixer shower that produces between 3 and 4bar. Is it a huge job to replace an electric shower with a pumped mixer shower???

Basically, I need to know if there is anywhere in Ireland where I can buy a shower that can produce about 40-60psi pressure.???????:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dunie001 wrote: »
    Hi all!

I bought my father a great gadget for xmas for the shower in the house. Unfortunately it requires a minimum pressure of between 35psi and 75psi to power it.

Note: It's an illuminating shower head that changes colour depending on the temperature of the water. It's powered by water pressure hence the need for a powerful shower. And no, it doesn't use batteries.

The only possibility to get this stupid thing going is to replace the old electric shower upstairs with a pumped electric shower or pumped mixer shower.

I presuming that since there is already an electric shower there that a pumped electric shower is the best one to go for...

I know there is a Monsoon pump that can be bought for a mixer shower that produces between 3 and 4bar. Is it a huge job to replace an electric shower with a pumped mixer shower???

Basically, I need to know if there is anywhere in Ireland where I can buy a shower that can produce about 40-60psi pressure.???????:confused::confused:

4 bar is a lot of pressure...that would give 3 good showers concurrently
    anyway, B&Q have 3 bar pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

I think that the shower head probably uses the other 2bar to power itself so it leaves 1bar left for the user....

It's ridiculous that they ddn't just put a battery into the bloody thing!!!

Is that an actual pumped electric shower or just the pump itself???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You are going to replace your shower (which includes a separate electrical circuit) just to have the head light up?

Yes! Well that and the fact that the existing shower is so completely and utterly useless that nobody uses it...

Plus we want a power shower anyway, so might as well buy one that can power the shower head...It came all the way from America and can't be bought anywhere in Ireland and UK.

So if you know of any pumped electric showers that can pump between 35 and 70psi please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

we have a mira thermostatic power shower just recently installed. cant recommend it enough. it gives a very invigorating shower with very little pressure. i think its a mira xs. it is better than a 5 star hotel lets put it that way.
    it is not an electric shower ie it doesnt heat the water but does use elctricity to power its pump but looks like an electric shower. i think they do electric versions as well though im not sure. go to miras website anyway.

• Advertisement

Yes! Well that and the fact that the existing shower is so completely and utterly useless that nobody uses it...

Plus we want a power shower anyway, so might as well buy one that can power the shower head...It came all the way from America and can't be bought anywhere in Ireland and UK.

So if you know of any pumped electric showers that can pump between 35 and 70psi please let me know.

Again B&Q do them for about €300 I think
    But 4 bar is going to be noisy as sin, pay more and get a water cooled one so that you can at least box the sucker in.

We got one of these for our kitchen tap, powered by 2 of those button (watch?) batteries
    Changes from blue to red once the water gets to 60c I think.
    A nice effect and useful when you want to leave the tap running and know when its gone hot.

Heres one on ebay for about €15 inc delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

A 5 bar pumped shower would need a larger capacity HWC for a start. It would drain a standard one in a few mins !

This would be a big job just to have lights on a shower head. Is it a safety thing ? if so, get a thermostatically controlled shower.

I redone my bathroom last year, gutted it, including hot press so it wasnt that hard to upgrade the HWC, i also stuck in a 5bar pump for both the shower and bath, its on a concrete floor on rubber legs so not loud at all either.

oleras wrote: »
    A 5 bar pumped shower would need a larger capacity HWC for a start. It would drain a standard one in a few mins !

This would be a big job just to have lights on a shower head. Is it a safety thing ? if so, get a thermostatically controlled shower.

I redone my bathroom last year, gutted it, including hot press so it wasnt that hard to upgrade the HWC, i also stuck in a 5bar pump for both the shower and bath, its on a concrete floor on rubber legs so not loud at all either.

Out of interest, how long did it take to refit the cylinder with pump and where did you get both?
    Any ideas of cost? (Im contemplating going down the same path for bathroom and ensuite) Bathroom is new refurnished but I put in pretty good access to pipework.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

GreeBo wrote: »
    Out of interest, how long did it take to refit the cylinder with pump and where did you get both?
    Any ideas of cost? (Im contemplating going down the same path for bathroom and ensuite) Bathroom is new refurnished but I put in pretty good access to pipework.

I got the pump on buyandsell, new for 300euro. 45 gal rapid recovery incl immersion HWC for 300also i think in heatmerchants, will look for receipts later. I was going to get a 60 gal, but they were up near 1k :eek:, i can get 3 good showers from the 45 gal one, also stuck the bath, largish, on the pump, fills in about 3 mins !

I got a plumber to install them, im afraid of water.....lol.....took him a full day.

the shower head is one of those rainforest ones, about 10-12 " across, so there is good flow with the 5 bar pump, not skin stripping, but the shower also has a hand held hose and when the water is diverted to that its like a fire hose, actually pushes your wrist back with the pressure.

Seriously, you're all missing the question...

an electric shower gets its water from the cold water storage tank not the HWC because its electric!!!!

I thought I made myself clear when I said that the new shower will have to replace an old electric shower, not and immersion mixed shower...

Also the HWC is downstairs and electric shower is upstairs, so is it even possible to change pipes around to supply Hot water to the thing??? I doubt it...at least not without huge expense...

We have a normal immersion shower downstairs beside HWC that could have a pump fitted on the supply to boost the pressure, but could the pump be bipassed/switched off if we don't want to use the pump all the time?

And I don't want to do this JUST to have a fancy shower head, we also want a power shower. But my dad hates power showers and refuses to get a pump fitted to the normal shower...so I need a solution...please help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 burnsie1

I intalled a pump to the water system of the immersion. The power is great but the noise is a pain. The system pipes are not isolated for the shower so it means the pump goes on everytime a hot water tap is turned on. I am thinking of getting rid of the large tank, installing a small tank for hand washing etc and installing electric power showers instead.

At least you only heat the water you use rather than keeping normal tank heated.

I suggest you go to B&Q if you are able to self install. The value looks good

Seriously, you're all missing the question...

an electric shower gets its water from the cold water storage tank not the HWC because its electric!!!!

I thought I made myself clear when I said that the new shower will have to replace an old electric shower, not and immersion mixed shower...
    I dont think you are going to get a standalone shower to replace your current electric one thats capable of 5bar.
    In light of this, we are talking about how you could get a standalone pump fitted to pressurize your shower(s).

Advertisement