Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A word of thanks.

Options
  • 07-01-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I don't know if eiter of them use Boards, butI want to say thanks to they two ladies who attempted to help me out last night when I needed a jumpstart in the carpark of Dunnes in Westside. I also want to say thanks to the taxi driver who eventually got me going and wouldn't charge me for it.

It's nice to see that there's still a lot of friendliness and goodwill out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Very bad weather for Car Batteries. My Car, Dad's Car and Brother in Law's Van all had dead batteries on the same morning last week. I'm defo buying one of those Boosters you can get. Very Handy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was sitting in the car pulling out of the driveway this morning marvelling at how well my battery was holding up in the cold weather considering that I ran it down twice last year. Then I noticed the power steering was gone, the bugger had cut out. It started again but I think it was trying to tell me off for being so cocky.

I'll always give someone a jump if I see them stuck. Knowing the pain myself!

I'm not a motorist but what is the difference in price between a new battery and a booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Depends on how good of a battery you want

Boosters are great for 1 or 2 cranks, but that's about it because the dead battery will be draining the booster when it's connected trying to equalise. Also make sure that you regularly charge your boosters... dead booster aint much good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Most booster aren't much use in anything with over a 2 litre engine. The battery on our work van died yesterday, and the booster was no good on it (Aldis finest €60 odd booster, which isn't bad). We had to replace the battery, which was €120 one strong enough for the van (2.9TD).

Because I had tried starting the van with it, my booster was too dead to start the car last night, and my jump leads were too short to stretch to another car because of where I parked (thank God for taxis with long, strong, jumpleads). Most of the time the booster is enough (as long as, as JohnCleary already said, it's charged!!!).

A battery charger can be handy to have, and you can pick them up relatively cheap now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement