Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire / Network Help

Options
  • 07-01-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi All

Long time computer user, but not done much in the way of networks, and after some help if possible.

I have Clearwire (I know, but to be fair I needed net connection in a hurry in my old house, and Eircom "lost" the order and told me it would take 6 weeks to reprocess - Clearwire was in less than 6 hours later and has generally worked - I do not use the net intensively!) and reception at the old house was fine in the lounge, where our PC is located for child supervision purposes.

We have now moved to a new build house, and this faces the other way. Unfortunately, the Clearwire box does not pick up in the new lounge, but does in the room above. The obvious solution to me therefore seems to be to place the box up there, and plug it into a wireless router, with a reciever in the PC (which it may already have). This would, I believe, also allow me to connect my new netbook.

My problem is that I am unfamiliar with networking, and have heard some horror stories. Can anyone therefore advise if this solution is practical, advise on kit required (as low a cost as possible!) and any pitfalls.

Thanks in advance!

Sean

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You need what is commonly known as wireless cable router. That is one that has not got a modem build in for use with dsl.

Linksys wrt54gl is usually a safe recommendation and only your good self can establish if you need a wireless card or usb dongle for the pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barbara23

Just saw your post and thought Id give you some advice.

Please don't purchase a router from Clearwire. They are currently "out of stock" and have been for quite some time now! Pity noone told me this when I bought the thing!!

Ive rang them several times and they never have an answer! At €89.00 theyre quite expensive. Im sure you could buy one in the shops for much cheaper! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

Thanks for the help guys.

I wasn't looking to purchase from Clearwire fortunately - although I did look at their mains cabling network plugs, but decided they were too expensive.

My PC does have a wireless card, but I had disabled it when the PC was new, and had to spend some time last night getting it going again. So it looks like I will go along that route.

Thanks again.

Sean

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I believe they no longer sell the plugs, the story with the routers is an interesting one, I believe they have some, but they are only giving them out if certain criteria are met.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

Once again, thanks for the help - I now have a wireless network up and running.

Cheers

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

Sean9015 wrote: »
    Once again, thanks for the help - I now have a wireless network up and running.

Cheers

Sean

I have the same problem, can you tell me what wireless router you used and how you went about establishing the connection.

thanks
    Bobby

Advertisement