Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastering over Stipple

Options
  • 07-01-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I've asked a plasterer to give me a quote to plaster over the stipple in the kitchen it's about 3.3m by 5.5m in total, 18sqm. He has two options skim over the existing stipple or put a new slab in. Does anyone have any idea how much I should expect to pay for something like this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Good Plasterer will rub stiple with a brick and then skim walls. Shouldn't take that long if the room is completely clear.

No idea of cost but suggest you get at least 3 quotes to find out the going rate.

Might be worth hiring spot lights to ensure a good finish, especially on ceiling. (Aldi or Lidl were selling a cheap pair on a stand for about €30, as was Arro).

Remember certain "Artex" did contain asbestos - not a good idea to rub or sand it, without proper precautions, as the dust is carcinogenic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I saw in a house where the stipple was skimmed with plaster, after a few months the stipple started to break away from the ceiling, and big lumps of plaster / stipple started to fall down.

I used a wall paper steamer to take down the stipple from my kitchen. Came down in no time at all with the heat of the steam. I'd imagine a hot air gun would do the same job. You can get a wall paper steamer for €25 in the likes of argos....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I saw in a house where the stipple was skimmed with plaster, after a few months the stipple started to break away from the ceiling, and big lumps of plaster / stipple started to fall down.
    Yes I saw this too.
    The solution for me when doing up a house a few years ago was to slab the ceiling with 3/8" slab, then plaster it. This slab is cheaper (because it is so thin) and lighter. It breaks more easily when you are putting it up too! At the end of the day it did a good job. I bought it in Chadwicks.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Broche07, I dont mean to hijack this thread. I have a similar issue. I have about 1 foot wide by six foot of pebble dash in the kitchen I want to turn into a more interior wall. Its an old extension that I took a pipe away from.

Can anyone advise, should I go at it with a hammer and chisel and get rid of the pebble dash before plastering, or is there a way of plastering over pebble dash? My uncle is plastering, so Im not overly concerned with cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

fishdog wrote: »
    Yes I saw this too.

What were you doing in my Aunts kitchen? ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Might be worth hiring spot lights to ensure a good finish, especially on ceiling

Just be careful with this idea. Lots of times people shine spotlights up on to ceilings and walls and think a bad job has been done as it shows up every little bump and ripple. Most lights in rooms shine downwards and so the tiniest bumps/ripples are never noticed. Had this problem in dundrum shopping centre when the company I was working for kept getting called back to "fix" a ceiling. Huge halogen lights were being shone on to it and making mountains out of molehills!! When they eventually stopped skimming and taping and jointing at it they put in the downlights, turned them on and the ceiling looked perfect!!

Advertisement