Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulroy Bay Bridge

Options
  • 07-01-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

I took a visit to the new bridge linking Fanad and Rosguill over Christmas and I am digusted by the amount of money wasted by the project

It costs over 17 million to build linking the a*sehole of nowhere to nowhere!

How in the hell did this get the go ahead, I mean the road to it is a country lane where two cars can't even pass!

I was speaking to a few locals and they said that very, very few of them will use it, noone from Fanad works over there, there is no shopping, nothing that will give people a reason to cross to the other side!

It takes 30-40 mins to travel via Milford to Downings, if local/tourists wanted to make the journey.

What are the expected traffic projections, does anyone know?

How will this develop the county/country as a whole? Will it attract direct foreign inverstment, create jobs, improve peoples lives, etc? - Hardly, more than likely will become a race track for boy racers!

The money could have been used on the Bonagee bridge, Letterkenny-Lifford road - part of our connection to Dublin, the hospital, anything!!

While its always encouraging when investment is made in the county, I would rather see the 17 million invested in a new A+E in Cork rather wasted in a pointless white elephant up here!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I take it you're not from Donegal then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

muffler wrote: »
    I take it you're not from Donegal then?

What does it matter where I am from? That irrelevent

I doubt people from outside the county are aware of the bridge?
    I dunno if people in Donegal really know about it??

I am from Donegal as it happens. I just think that 17 million could find a good home on a more worthwhile project. In Donegal or elsewhere even, something that saves lives, that improves the country's infrastructure.

I was reading the Emergency Services forum where gardai are supplied with latex gloves...for dealing with junkies and needles. They just buy their own protective gloves.

Maybe providing the garda with proper equipment would be a good idea, it would benefit everyone, including Donegal people.

Although maybe the old farmer crossing the state of the art bridge to Mickey Joes Country Stores in Carrigart may take issue!!

And maybe it might even come in handy for an ambulance to get from "over there" to "over here" a wee bit faster on its way to Letterkenny hospital with a cardiac arrest patient. Nah not really, the auld farmer will only hold them back.

And maybe it might even come in handy for an ambulance to get from "over there" to "over here" a wee bit faster on its way to Letterkenny hospital with a cardiac arrest patient. Nah not really, the auld farmer will only hold them back.

I don't think the old farmer will hold them up!

More likely to be the boreens on either side that will hold them up if they meet any traffic. They will have to reverse up the road and pull in at the nearest gate!

Anyway, I doubt an ambulance would cross the bridge on the way to Letterkenny. I think it takes roughly the same time to reach the town from Fanad or Rosguill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

salonfire - you are kidding right?
    You propose that infastructural improvements costing 17million is a waste of money, yet complain about the condition of the roads! Do you think they should have upgraded the roads first! Any form of investment in the County has to be welcomed. I'm familiar with the townland of Ballyheerin, not too far from the new bridge, on the Fanad side, and I think it's fantastic! It'll cut, at least, 15mins off a journey to Letterkenny; possibly more when the roads get done.

The Dublin Port Tunnel Motorway is expected to cost in excess of 4 BILLION EURO!
    But that's an acceptable cost, because it's in a city?

Or what about the N52 Mullingar By-pass, which cost 25 million euro?
    Sure they had a decent road to begin with! Was this also a waste of money?

Anything that improves the infastructure of this country, be it motorways, by-passes or even rural bridges, is an investment for future generations. You might not see the wisdom of that investment, but your grandkids might.

• Advertisement

mrmac wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the townland of Ballyheerin, not too far from the new bridge, on the Fanad side, and I think it's fantastic! It'll cut, at least, 15mins off a journey to Letterkenny; possibly more when the roads get done.

I'm confused, will people from Fanad cross the bridge on the way to Letterkenny?

You say it will cut the Letterkenny journey when the roads have been done.
    You mean even more money will have to spent on the roads before the people actually benefit from it.

Are there any plans to upgrade the surrounding roads do you know? I asked around a few locals and no one seems to know :confused:

I am all for spending on infrastructure - when it is spent wisely and will actually benefit people, create and sustain jobs, improve the county's connection to the rest of the country.

The ONLY reason the bridge was built was Harry Blaney. Thats great. He is a Donegal TD. Not a Fanad TD. Does this bridge help the Donegal people lying on A+E trolleys? The kids sitting in freezing Rent-a-Cabins at school? Why didn't they spend the money on the local roads down there? Then it actually will benefit people

If the NRA was involved, did a feasibility study, traffic surveys, whatever, do you think they would give it the go ahead?

The Port Tunnel was a massive overspend, I agree. But at least it had merit - taking lorries and trucks away from the city centre.

salonfire wrote: »
    The ONLY reason the bridge was built was Harry Blaney. Thats great. He is a Donegal TD. Not a Fanad TD.
    You're behind the times a bit ;)

Ah, two mis-quotes!

I said it will cut at least 15 minutes off the journey to Letterkenny, when it opens!
    Possibly more once the roads get done.

I'm not talking about the Dublin Port Tunnel, I'm referring to planned tunnel motorway link up, hence the "expected" 4 billion price tag. Which will probably be a lot more by the time it's finished. As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been started yet.

Once the bridge is complete, the roads are next on the agenda. In an area of low employment, no industry, and very poor services, this bridge is proposed to act as a new link corridor.

Trying to defend your arguement, by criticising a TD for getting infastructure improvements in their local areas, really doesn't have any merit. Name one TD who doesn't try to use their position to benefit their constituency voters? They all do it, and would be voted out if they didn't!

I take it you're not from the Fanad area?
    Neither am I!

But I've had reason to go up and down those roads for the last 20 years, and you think they're bad now! They're a massive improvement over the "grass down the middle" tracks that used to exist. There is always some form of road widening / improvements being done, perhaps thanks to a certain TD (and NO, I've no affiliation).

The true benifit of the bridge will not be seen by this generation, or even the next; but if there is to be any hope of developing a sustainable economic future, for such a remote area, then this type of investment is essential. Instead of reducing the expenditure, it should be maintained.

Compare the merit of the bridge to the merit of the Dublin Spire, which only cost 4.8 million euro, bargain!
    Then again, the 17 million euro really fades into the background compaired to the 191 million the government gave to the FAI / IRFU.
    "Merit" can have various view points.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If the NRA was involved, did a feasibility study, traffic surveys, whatever, do you think they would give it the go ahead?

I'm open to correction, but the NRA had to sign off on the project before it went ahead. This meant feasibility studies etc. Also the linking roads wont be upgraded till the bridge is finished, there would be too much damage done by bridge building work machinery.

For anyone unfamiliar with the area, here is a couple of pic's from the net.

2727296617_afc881c976.jpg?v=0

9195890.jpg

Cant embed these for some reason;

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9717578

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9717396

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/14769041

p.s. anything thats makes getting out of Fanad quicker is a good thing:D:D:D couldn't have a fanad thread without a joke

lol - brilliant P.S.!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I believe it was hailed as a step to promote tourism in conjunction with the local ferrys from buncrana and the Greencastle one, both of which are under review. Its debatable whether it would be appreciated by many tourists who already had been giving out about the impact of political planning on our landscape.

It certainly was a political stroke for the Blaney Political Dynasty, but I do agree there are many more infrastructure projects that wre much more in need in Donegal, Letterkennys bridge problem, The Lifford to Letterkenny Boreen, the Ballybofey Bypass and even that a road accident recently closed the Gap for a day.

Surely the benefits of the above projects would have benefited Tourism and countless more Donegal folk more and should have been prioritised first. They even would benefit many in Fanad more than the Bridge, and as for a heart attack, Fanad should be provided adequately with Defibrilators with or without a bridge.

This country is governed by votes at an election way before common sense and always has been. Nice to see Niall back in the Fianna Fail fold where this has always seemed policy.

Maybe he had to produce some spectacular waste of money to get back into the party and fit in. Its a microcosm of the whole running of the economy over the past few years.

Thanks for the pics Senna. It will be an horrible looking thing, once complete and looks totally out of place. It is a masssive structure ( bigger than appears in the pics) and is very high (to let boats from the nearby fish farm pass under it)

I don't see the funding required to keep the ferries running being provided in the current cliamte. I could be wrong - it's just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 phastasphuck

Senna wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but the NRA had to sign off on the project before it went ahead. This meant feasibility studies etc. Also the linking roads wont be upgraded till the bridge is finished, there would be too much damage done by bridge building work machinery.

For anyone unfamiliar with the area, here is a couple of pic's from the net.

2727296617_afc881c976.jpg?v=0

9195890.jpg

Cant embed these for some reason;

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9717578

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/14769041

p.s. anything thats makes getting out of Fanad quicker is a good thing:D:D:D couldn't have a fanad thread without a joke
    wow....im from down that way and ive never seen it before!!..might take a wee run down soon to see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

You propose that infastructural improvements costing 17million is a waste of money, yet complain about the condition of the roads! Do you think they should have upgraded the roads first! Any form of investment in the County has to be welcomed. ght not see the wisdom of that investment, but your grandkids might.

This is exactly what is wrong with Donegal. The project is a waste of money but because people in Donegal don't see it as THEIR money they don't care what happens.
    This is why Ireland needs stronger local authorities and local tax collection and spending. It might have made sense if it was going to Inishowen that at least is nowhere to a bit less nowhere. Fanad to Rossguill is Nowhere to even more Nowhere.

You know and I know that it is a stroke to get Blaney into anti Republican Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Every county deserves its own white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

People fail to grasp one important point in relation to this bridge, this is nothing to do with the Republic of Ireland Goverment or the Local Authorities. This bridge was an add on by the EU when a cross border inicitive was launched to connect MaGilligan to Greencastle, when it was rumoured that there was a ferry to be put on by the Irish goverement from Buncranna to Rathmullen, it was noted by the then EU Leaders that an IRISH corridor around the irish coast would be a good idea. THis happened 8years agot his march. This bridge had to be built and the money spent or the funding for the McGilligan Greencastle project will be cut as well as some toehr project north of the border. Hence the massive waste of money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SurferchickDL

This bridge is a political farce. A decent passage way from Letterkenny and its surrounds to the capital merits such investment much more. The Lifford road provides the only access to Letterkenny at present and it is not good enough for the volume and types of traffic that use it. Let's connect Donegal to the rest of the country and drive business and tourism into it before cutting 15 minutes of a journey to connect 2 rural hinterlands at a price tag of 17million. We certainly need investment in the county and welcome it but lets spend such investment wisely and use it for the benefit of the whole county and address superseding infrastructural problems rather than using it to drive political favour for one person.

This bridge is a political farce. A decent passage way from Letterkenny and its surrounds to the capital merits such investment much more. The Lifford road provides the only access to Letterkenny at present and it is not good enough for the volume and types of traffic that use it. Let's connect Donegal to the rest of the country and drive business and tourism into it before cutting 15 minutes of a journey to connect 2 rural hinterlands at a price tag of 17million. We certainly need investment in the county and welcome it but lets spend such investment wisely and use it for the benefit of the whole county and address superseding infrastructural problems rather than using it to drive political favour for one person.

^^ What she said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

It will be a monument to the last days of excess as the Celtic Tiger died.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭md23040

salonfire - you are kidding right? I'm familiar with the townland of Ballyheerin, not too far from the new bridge, on the Fanad side, and I think it's fantastic! It'll cut, at least, 15mins off a journey to Letterkenny; possibly more when the roads get done.
    Following close inspection on goggle earth, can you please advise how this white elephant will shave 15 minutes on journey times to Letterkenny? From my analysis on travelling the R245 it takes about 35 minutes from Carrigart to Letterkenny. So unless infrastructure on the far side of Mulroy Bridge is upgraded to motorway status then it’s impossible to save any time. Distance-wise it adds more mileage to the journey from map inspection - unless there’s a magical third route.
    Anything that improves the infastructure of this country, be it motorways, by-passes or even rural bridges, is an investment for future generations. You might not see the wisdom of that investment, but your grandkids might.
    It is a nonsense defending this decision in my opinion. And as for our future generation benefiting, will they really be glad having these bits of useless infrastructure and paying royally through increased national debt which will take many generations to settle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Your close Inspection md23040 is not up to much it will knock 15mins of my journey thats 30mins on a return trip. and I live in fanad you obviously do not!

md23040 wrote: »
    Following close inspection on goggle earth,

Hows about you actually drive there and not base your comments on Google Earth:rolleyes:

Senna wrote: »
    Hows about you actually drive there and not base your comments on Google Earth:rolleyes:

I've owned a holiday home in the Carrigart area for the last 15 years. But in question, it takes 35 minutes from Carrigart to Letterkenny. How long does it take from Tawny, Rosnakill or Ballymagowan via Milford to L'kenny - 55 minutes? Or is it 55 minutes from one part of Fanad Peninsula - that is around the bridge estuary and town lands of Ballyhork, Faltybanes or Clooney (an area with a very small population).

Scarce resources in Donegal could have been spent on more worthwhile projects. This one is way down the list in my opinion.

md23040 wrote: »
    Scarce resources in Donegal could have been spent on more worthwhile projects. This one is way down the list in my opinion.
    Electronic voting machines for example??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

GSF wrote: »
    It will be a monument to the last days of excess as the Celtic Tiger died.
    The economic misery will possibly last longer than the bridge!

Did we get any funding for this from the EU?

Electronic voting machines for example??

Valid point, but you know you are comparing apples with oranges. That is, just because government make a really bonkers decision like electronic voting machines (which is crazy), does not make a less bonkers decision like this bridge somehow rational or justified, in some sort of skewed way. A bad decision is a bad decision. Resources are scare, and infrastructural monies instead should have been aimed towards other projects that are more worthy in my opinion such as improving the Boreen road from the end of the Letterkenny dual carriageway to Lifford, or the Ballybofey to Lifford road, or the Ballybofey bypass, or the phase II of the Letterkenny bypass via Tinney Oil. There is an exhaustive list of more worthy contenders that would have been more justified with more car users benefitting etc.

White elephants such as this bridge will be useful to some, but it will however be testament to a government who naively like consumers, misunderstood debt for wealth. Unfortunately now with the country indebted for many generations’ (as are its consumers) means it will be a long while before other more worthy projects get the green light. In the meantime Letterkenny, Ballybofey etc will become more and more choked and an increased cost burden on business.

Edit addon - Were the NRA involved in the development? Can't find any mention of it on their website, under current projects or those offered to tender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jackstone

How in the hell did this get the go ahead, I mean the road to it is a country lane where two cars can't even pass!

I was speaking to a few locals and they said that very, very few of them will use it, noone from Fanad works over there, there is no shopping, nothing that will give people a reason to cross to the other side!

It takes 30-40 mins to travel via Milford to Downings, if local/tourists wanted to make the journey.
    I know this thread is old.....but the bridge opened today so I just want to mention a few things.
    I dont know what "country lane" you were on. The Roads have been upgraded as a result of the bridge (no extra cost - part of the project). And even before they were upgraded, 2 cars could pass on it.

What locals were you speaking to?! I know a few Fanad people who work in carrigart, I actually know one who lives in fanad and it takes him over an hour to get to work every morning, now it'll be less than 15 minutes.

And there are shops in carrigart. A petrol station too. Along with a credit union, pharmacy, doctors office and churches. I know these are in fanad too, but Fanads a big place! Itll be a lot quicker for parts of fanad to come to carrigart instead.

And there are many other advantages of it. Some of the fanad school buses have to travel nearly an hour to get to school in Milford. Now some can take this road and halve that journey.
    It also benefits the children too. They now have a youth club, a boxing club, and many other facilities that they didnt have.

Finally, I just have to say that I dont have any formal knowledge on this project, but I do live locally. And as regards the 17 million its costing, we had this debate at school with a teacher, who claimed it was being funded by the EU as part of a rural development scheme. And sure enough, at the opening today, it said on the signs it was funded by the EU. Im not sure if they funded it all, but they did some anyway.
    I dont expect a reply because the posts so old, but I will say, its not wasted money! It WILL be used. YES, it wont be used by as many people as some of the other projects you suggested, but that doesnt mean its not a help! Should all the money be used in towns and cities where more people use them, While the people in rural areas sit as second class citizens? Being forgotten about? Just because not as many people will use it, doesnt mean its not appreciated! The thousands who turned out today in the rain showed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Bridge is open and I can see it from my house. and it is in constant use alot more traffic than even I expected. alot of tourists . and md23040 you forgot Glinsk, Doaghmore, Tully, Muineagh, Seedagh,Leatbeg, Ballyheerin, all have small population's but they add up. I know alot of people who save Half an hour of their work journey twice a day thats alot even. you mention letterkenny they had plenty of time in a good ecomony to build ther bridges but spent alot building shopping complex's on as swamp. places like these get everything and places like fanad and carrigart are left to ruain. I even see the local school bus goes over it already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone care to put a pic up of the finished bridge? Im never up in that part of the county & being an engineer I'd be interested to see the finished project

Advertisement