Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a dll with a calling application in vb.net

Options
  • 07-01-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

This may be an extremely basic question and I apologise if it is rambling. I work in Vb.net
    Just started in a new workplace and prototyped a program which displays a stored procedure in a grid and varies the grid based on a couple of passed in parameters.
    I wrote this as a 'windows application'.
    So far so good. BUT

I have been asked to set it up as a dll with a 'calling exe'.
    That is the 'windows application' will be a tiny applcation which just passes in parameters. The main program will be a dll called from the 'calling program'.

This seems to be the way that all applications are written here. I would have written programs that do stuff as windows applications in the past and set up dlls to hold functionality (other than display).

So how do I set up a dll which has a display etc. I should just ask but prefer to figure it out for myself and it is so much part of the practise here that they will basically think I'm an idiot for not knowing this.

MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Kinda looks like dependency injection style programming...

And being honest, better to ask..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 OneOfMars

Dont know if this helps but you can put winows forms into the dll and they operate as normal so I presume your dll would have a function that the calling program calls and in that function you can display a form as normal (if that is what you need to do) probably as a modal form so execution halts till the form is closed. I've used this myself and it works grand as in the dll contains common custom usercontrols and even forms that are called by the exe and have had no issues. (all in vb.net)

Advertisement