Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes you a pro?

• 07-01-2009 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Apoligies if this has been discussed before but i saw an article in a paper recently about photography, i think it was the times. But it basically said never to trust or work with a photographer that is not registered with the IPPA (Irish professional photographer association).Obviously this is not the case but people do take things like this that they have read into account when spending money or looking to hire the right person. I looked into the IPPA and you have to pay to call yourself a "pro" with themselves which i feel is a bit of a farce surely if your work is of a professional standard there should be another way of becoming a pro without college courses or ippa registration, or is this even a recognized governing body in ireland?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Me, I'm not a pro, I'm a hobby photographer. :D

In saying that, there are a number of photographic bodies/organisations and associations.

IPPA is just one. So is SWPP, ASJI, AIPS, NUJ, and many many more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Paulw wrote: »
    Me, I'm not a pro, I'm a hobby photographer. :D

Dito. But i definetly would like to be a full time pro one day, but saying that there seems to be no right or wrong way to go about becoming a pro rather than just saying you are one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you're earning money from working as a professional photographer, you can call yourself a pro. No letters after your name needed. There's no proper way of going about being a pro, we're all different.

It's like saying you have to do a degree in photography to be a photographer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I like people to think I'm a pro but I wouldnt call myself one:p

I think to be a pro would be basically to make a living from it be it a wedding photographer or a press photographer. I spoke to 2 pros over the weekend who gave me great advice, only one was in the ippa. There are too many people that think you need to be part of an organisation to be professional. Photography is an art form and nobody can tell you the right or wrong way to do it. Yes there are technicalities to it and general 'rules' but it is the breaking of the rules and the feeling the photographer portrays that makes the outcome successful. I have never seen an artist call themselves a pro artist so what is the difference between being a photographer and being a pro photographer.

If someone asks me what I do I say I am a phoptographer because that is the only thing I do to earn money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I am in the SWPP but thats all in terms of associations, 90% of my income comes from photography so I am a pro. I really should join the NUJ and I will do it this year as that can be handy. I have no degrees or conventional training but one thing I would say about going Pro is the learning curve is excellent, I have one day set aside during the week for training/reading/learn new technique (camera/photoshop/workflow) or just to perfect what I do already. At different stages of the year I work on marketing plans with another person trained in this.

• Advertisement

For me, I act professionally. This is the same in my job, and anything I do. I will do something to the best of my ability, and as professionally as I can.

I enjoy photography. I sit along side full time professional photographers at many events. I can compare my images (from time to time) directly with theirs. Am I a pro?? Who cares?

I have joined a number of professional bodies (SWPP, ASJI, AIPS) not for any reason other than some benefits they bring (reduction in insurance costs, contacts in the industry, easier access to some sporting events). Some associations also help in getting accreditation for events.

I've never felt the need for letters after my name (in any career), but just an ability to do the job properly. I know people with many letters, who really haven't a clue. They can pass exams, but can't transfer knowledge to daily life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I get paid for s*x ! ? ! ? !

sorry, wrong thread ! ;)

I make my living from it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If you're earning money from working as a professional photographer, you can call yourself a pro.

That's exactly how I would look at it. I wish I was a pro :(

If I'm out taking photos some day, find the winning lotto ticket worth €4m, does that make me an amazing pro photographer?

kjt wrote: »
    That's exactly how I would look at it. I wish I was a pro :(

If I'm out taking photos some day, find the winning lotto ticket worth €4m, does that make me an amazing pro photographer?

Nah, just makes you rich. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fajitas! wrote: »

It's like saying you have to do a degree in photography to be a photographer...

Ah sh1t...now ya tell me LOL.

But yes I agree, anyone who makes money can call themselves a pro, I do think standards should be in place tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

really, it all boils down to how much kit you have.

Any chance you could remember what paper you read the article? Was it in Saturdays Times? I'd be interested in reading it myself.

cheers

honestly cant remember it was friday of last week, i red it in work the paper should still be there tomorrow when im in ill have a look:)

honestly cant remember it was friday of last week, i red it in work the paper should still be there tomorrow when im in ill have a look:)

no worries, if you happen to see it great.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

....if you know about Ansel Adams !!!:p
    < looking around, I see some quizzical expressions, and they're like: 'Who?' 'What?' >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'v made money in the past

I'm a pro :)

Infact i wouldn't be surprised if nearly everyone on this forum has got some money at some point,even if its from a friend after you took a pic of his/her child and he/she gave you some money when you gave them a print :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

I think the taxman defines it as you earn most of your income from photography

I think actually thats how the IPPA do it, ie your primary income is from photography

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ah, photography. The one place where being a pro means 'I make money from what I do' rather than 'I'm the best at what I do'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

In saying that, there are a number of photographic bodies/organisations and associations.

IPPA is just one. So is SWPP, ASJI, AIPS, NUJ, and many many more.

Just being pedantic, but those associations/unions are not specific to photography. They cover the broad spectrum of journalism.

There aren't many for photography only.
    The PPAI would be the main one for Press Photographers.
    The IPPA would cover more wedding photographers and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I was once disqualified from a photo competition as it was for amateurs only. It was quite interesting proving that that's exactly what I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

eas wrote: »

Oh really?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

who evers got the longest focal length....hanging around their neck....is the biggest pro

At the end its an easy question to answer and that is its my job that makes me a pro photographer, thats how I earn my living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

kensutz wrote: »
    Oh really?:confused:

Yea it really doesn't.. lol Ive got tons of stuff worth lots of money but thats simply cause I have a factory job thats shift work.. I can afford it.. Doesn't make me a pro...

I believe if you make a living from it.. Your a pro.. If you make money from it you could probably call yourself a pro.. But if you made money on a once off thing I don't think so.. Or if your in with one of those groups ippa or whatever..

Hopefully now going through college and all that jazz this year.. I can maybe.. JUST maybe earn the title :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

who evers got the longest focal length....hanging around their neck....is the biggest pro

or is it combined focal lenght?

I think the equation is something like

(Combined Focal Lenght * Avergage Aperture) + (Megapixels + number of odd gadgets) = Pro Status Units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Personally, the thing I'd be looking for in a top pro in any walk of life are,

Longevity: implies a professional approach, an ability to budget and work through difficult times.

and

Respect of their peers: implies good technical competence and the ability to do a proper job in difficult circumstances.

Is photography the only profession/hobby that people get caught up in this pro / non-pro discussion?

what about..

artists?
    musicians?
    chefs?
    djs?
    footballers?

Well footballers are givin a pro contract and chefs sign a contract with there employer to cook professionally for them, but the others im not sure about. Its probably the same for most arts

At the end of the day, does it matter if you call yourself a pro or not??

There are many on here I consider have a very professional approach and attitude to photography. They may not make their full-time living from photography, but does that make them any less a pro than someone who does it full-time and is crap???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

its a hobby. Its your job then you're professional. That is the definition - that you get paid. It doesnt mean that you are anygood however!

Photography is my hobby, I like to take pictures. Weather snaps or more thought out things - that is my business as I do it to get out and explore and have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

How to become a professional photographer

1. Buy a digital camera.

2. Tricks of the trade - Have a look on the camera, on the top or back or front or side there is a dial marked 'A'. This stands for 'Awesome'. Leave it on this all the time.

3. Photo courses - No need for even a basic photography course. Once you buy a digital (SLR) camera you are professional. Not sure? Ask a security guard.

4. Lighting? - Yes. You will need some light. Otherwise the photos will come out all dark. Sometimes you can fix this in photoshop, but some light to begin with is good.

5. Does subject matter? - Yes. Try not to take photos of girls leaving school from your car as the fine is €500 and two years probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭solus

I wreckin your a pro when its your main source of income

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Anybody can be a photographer .It's all about capturing the moement ot not capturing the moement at all .A still object can just be as intresting as people , it depends on your own moods likes and dsilikes .You point , you click and you capture something .Somtimes using the word pro can sound so pretentious but respect that some individuals go to great lengths and cost to work on and improve their pictures . However , that doesnt nessacarly make them professional .

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

For me, I act professionally. This is the same in my job, and anything I do. I will do something to the best of my ability, and as professionally as I can.

I enjoy photography. I sit along side full time professional photographers at many events. I can compare my images (from time to time) directly with theirs. Am I a pro?? Who cares?

I have joined a number of professional bodies (SWPP, ASJI, AIPS) not for any reason other than some benefits they bring (reduction in insurance costs, contacts in the industry, easier access to some sporting events). Some associations also help in getting accreditation for events.

I've never felt the need for letters after my name (in any career), but just an ability to do the job properly. I know people with many letters, who really haven't a clue. They can pass exams, but can't transfer knowledge to daily life.

Yes, Paul is right, to get a accreditation for some events sometimes they ask you for a pass card, but 95% of the time I've never been asked to show a pass card to Events here in Ireland
    or in EU.

At the end of the day, if you have GREAT images, thats all you need. I can be a member of IPPA, NUJ etc, if my pics are bad.. no one will use my images. All you need is about 20 to 25 images from a game to send to the agencies, with your captions in PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Phototoxin wrote: »
    its a hobby. Its your job then you're professional. That is the definition - that you get paid. It doesnt mean that you are anygood however!

Photography is my hobby, I like to take pictures. Weather snaps or more thought out things - that is my business as I do it to get out and explore and have fun.
    I have never called myself a professional, but I work with top sports photographers all over the world at Tennis, Snooker, and Ice Hockey events, I think the camera does the work, I just press the button.

So the camera is the professional, not me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

phssss
    pro me arse!!
    who cares!! :P
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

pro? - I'm so far behind on this topic that I have difficulty when someone says oh Tommy, he's a photographer.

Does photographer simply describe someone who takes photographs? - is there any difference between someone who brings a P&S with them to a pub and a photographer????

My profession isn't photography so I'd guess that i'm not a professional photographer. Others can 'do' what I do professionally but they wouldn't call themselves a professional at that either so a good bit of it is probably whether or not you make your living from it. It makes no supposition as to the quality of your output. The local golf club professional is as professional as Padraig Harrington isn't he?

Sorry this isn't the question you asked but your question has made me think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Eh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I think if people say 'I'm a photographer' then they are defining themselves as a person who takes photographs. That's quite limited. I take photos, but I wouldn't say I'm a photographer. I have a BSc however and would (and have been called) a scientist.

Is photographer itself more of a personal label?

Surely if I say 'I'm a lawyer' then it means that not only have I gotten a law degree, but that it is my job. Why so different with photography ? Is it because it is an art (the 'if you write then you are a writer' argument)

I don't think there's much between a photographer and a pro photographer, to call yourself a photographer in my mind requires a certain skill standard, below it you take photos, and have a interest in photography

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

A Pro photographer makes a proper preparation before leaving for a photo shoot, like Vincent Laforet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

SWEET HOLY FLUTE! O_O

There's over 1200$ in flash radio triggers there alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ThOnda wrote: »
    A Pro photographer makes a proper preparation before leaving for a photo shoot, like Vincent Laforet.

hmmmnnnnnn..... so to be a pro photographer means that you'll have lots of gear but be completely broke :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

That is insane!

I thought it was if you earned over 50% of your income from
    photography then you are a pro ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 .boards.ie

Wow. That is a lot of gear.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It is not about gear, but how you get prepared, how you are focused on what you do and how determined you are to provide good work. And a little more.
    But yes, it is insane :eek:

Nice link Thonda, on a smaller scale this is what I clean and charge to bring to shoot a wedding.

IMG_0347.jpg

Advertisement