Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SIMI talking sh*te...

Options
  • 07-01-2009 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

I was down with a friend yesterday who had two Irish Motor Industry trade magazines in his office that I took home with me for a read...

(1) Irish Motor Management (Nov/Dec 2008 edition)

(2) Auto Trade Journal (Vol 12 Issue 6 2008)

Between these two publications, the SIMI are pushing for the following solutions to be put in place for their dealer members:

(A) The well known rant regarding VRT not being paid on UK/NI imports and how this is effecting the Irish Motor Dealer.

(B) They also want a repeat of the scrappage scheme to get rid of cars on the road that are ten years old or more.

Now, it just happened that another mate of mine, last week decided to look at a BMW X5. He wanted a 2008 low mileage model. He was looking at one down here and the price worked out around 90K. He ended up buying a higher spec & lower mileage 2008 X5 up in the north, for 60K, including his VRT liability, saving himself 30K.

Say we take all the illegal UK/NI cars off the road immediately, there is still a huge difference in price between NI and here, based on doing a legitimate transaction. So I think this hot air from SIMI is nothing more than grandstanding for their dealer members.

On the subject of (B) above, in all reality, how many cars ten years or older are on the roads now??? I imagine the folks who are driving these cars are driving them because they cannot afford a new car. This is no poor relection on anyone, but the folks I see driving older cars now seem to be mainly foreign nationals, who are probably the group most likely to be leaving the country at this time, so why would they buy a new car under a scrappage scheme??? Also, they seem a put a greater importance on the value of money than the Irish and might be happy enough with a ten year old car that is just for around town, and on this basis wouldn't be in the market for a new car.

Whatever about (B) below which I fully accept is debatable, the idea that if we cleared all UK/NI cars that no VRT was paid on off the road, that this would resolve the issues that SIMI dealers are experiencing, is a sad joke.

I wouldn't have believed it only my mate told me he saved 30K last week by legitimately importing a NI X5 instead of buying it down here. How on earth can that type of price difference be justified???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have believed it only my mate told me he saved 30K last week by legitimately importing a NI X5 instead of buying it down here. How on earth can that type of price difference be justified???

Well it cant, but for the last few years people have been buying at the price they see, as regards cars, holidays, everything. Too much money, no research done on what they are getting and what is available elsewhere. Hopefully now with money a lot tighter people will realise that Ireland is being charged extortionate prices for cars, paying premiums above other countries, all for a lower shitty 'paddy' spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

bloody SIMI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

Since when did SIMI ever not talk s*ite ?

They're a lobby group end of, pity our version, the AA didn't have such bite. Afterall, we are the ones with the ultimate power. Instead of the Irish motor industry (representatives) pointing to it's benefits, it acts like a child and blames everything else. If UK imports were so bad - why are so many of your own members doing it ?

Also, I drive a 13 yr old car, but would you scrap a 320bhp M3 off a shiny new Focus ?? I'm Irish too BTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

There are still quite a lot of cars of the road with 99 regs and older*. Some people just don't change their cars unless they absolutely have to. One of the most senior guys in our job (earning over €200K per year) drives a 1995 Mazda of some sort.

*Irish people that is - lots of people on my street drive cars that old, and not just learners either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

10 years old does not necessarily mean it's fit for the junk yard or that people can't afford a newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i drive an 1991 merc 180e no way would i get rid of it, i paid 650 lids for i with a 10 month test, before that i had an 89 space wagon that i got for nothing, any way i am a banger mobile addict, actually not only do i detist simi i actually despise them as well, the gov. may well assist them in an attempt to bring in must needed revenue, BUT will people fall for that any more, i.m.o. the introduction of the n.c.t. helped the scrappage system to take off the last time, people are not as guillable any more, as they have learned the best way thro their pockets, once burned always wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Paulw0t

eoin wrote: »
    10 years old does not necessarily mean it's fit for the junk yard or that people can't afford a newer one.

I've a 99 Golf Diesel with less than 90k miles on it, could see it doing another 5 or 6 years, 10 years really isn't old if a car is well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Bought my car 05 Nissan Primera brand new..17 months later I couldn't give it away. So I'm going to drive it till it lasts.
    Fcuk you SIMI, Fcuk u FF/GP/ and fcuk you car dealers.
    Next car's coming from the UK after that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Group buy of some Fu*k YOU SIMI bumper stickers?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

On the subject of (B) above, in all reality, how many cars ten years or older are on the roads now??? I imagine the folks who are driving these cars are driving them because they cannot afford a new car

There are many, many reasons why people drive 10 year cars, and not all of them are to do with not affording new cars. I drive a little 1.4 1999 VW Golf, but I also have a 05 Impreza STI and the wife a 05 Landcruiser. Reason I have the Golf is that we hung on to it over the years so that I can use it during the week to park at the train station and not have to worry about it.

Its in great nick and 10 years isnt really old for a car nowadays, cheap tax and cheap insurance.

But maybe you are right about me after all, as I've never bought a 'new' car, always secondhand and always from the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Yeah, my car's a 97, bought in '07 with about 70k miles on it and a full history. It's still got a full service history and just over 100k on it. It's fully loaded with electrics, heated seats, ABS etc, it's safe and even with the higher taxation on the old scheme, it's still more economical in cost over the year.

My mechanic says he's having a great run lately as people tidy up what they have instead of just letting it go to the dogs. People have finally copped onto this nonsense and are no longer accepting the depreciation on new cars. They've realised that they just can't afford it, especially with the recent devaluation of so many used cars....

Why would anyone pay €400+ a month to drive a newer car, with no good reason for changing? Economical motoring is all about keeping a car well, and for longer. That's what'll hurt SIMI members the most. The writing is on the wall....

Expect the average age of cars on the road to increase again. It's recession time folks.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    SIMI make it out that all cars over 10 years are practically waiting time bombs. Just because we aren`t all rushing out to please the car industry doesnt mean our cars are dangerous and pollute the enviorment horribly.

To be honest, they are pathethic in their approach to the well known problems in the industry. What is happening is an adjustment in the market. This would be an ideal time for the SIMI to improve the standard of aftersales service in the industry, but what are they doing??? Trying to push through another scrappage scheme and trying to convince anyone who will listen that UK/NI imports that have not had the VRT paid on them is the problem!

The problem with the SIMI is that it is an old boys association of vested interests. The same problems that exist within the motor industry, exist within the SIMI, lack of forward thinking, an absence of vision if there ever was one, and a refusal to advocate on the part of the customer. They can't see further than the next ten pound note...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I was down with a friend yesterday who had two Irish Motor Industry trade magazines in his office that I took home with me for a read...

(1) Irish Motor Management (Nov/Dec 2008 edition)

(2) Auto Trade Journal (Vol 12 Issue 6 2008)

Between these two publications, the SIMI are pushing for the following solutions to be put in place for their dealer members:

(A) The well known rant regarding VRT not being paid on UK/NI imports and how this is effecting the Irish Motor Dealer.

(B) They also want a repeat of the scrappage scheme to get rid of cars on the road that are ten years old or more.

Cheers for that..

Maybe SIMI could address the following 2 options while their at it:

(C) Clocking rife among SIMI members

(D) Rampant price fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Well, in fairness they don't claim to be anything but a mouth piece for the motor industry. Their own homepage says that. What annoys me is that this is supposed to be a better thing for the consumer - look at carzone putting in a search option to include/exclude non-SIMI dealerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

How strong a lobby group are SIMI? Have government listened to them before?

I think that a scrappage deal could be agreed by the government as seems like they can't lose as will make a lot more in new car taxes...?

McSpud wrote: »
    How strong a lobby group are SIMI? Have government listened to them before?

I think that a scrappage deal could be agreed by the government as seems like they can't lose as will make a lot more in new car taxes...?

It'll only work if people will buy which in the current climate is unlikely. i've 2 options for my next car:

1) Buy here and get a 3-4 year old that the rings been driven out of ,which I'll be unable to verify its mileage (due to the lack of a National Mileage [/Kilometer :D] Register), thats probably neglected a few service intervals due to the extotionate service charges, and has "Irish Road Syndrome"

2) Go to the UK and find a car thats probably been minded like a baby, washed & waxed every Sunday. Full Service history and at least 30% cheaper than option 1, and the roads to go with that!?

...Doesn't take even the SIMI to work out which option i'll choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

but but but *they use salt on their roads* one of these days it'll rust .. RUST I tellz ye!

zod wrote: »
    but but but *they use salt on their roads* one of these days it'll rust .. RUST I tellz ye!

lol whatever there using over here is eating the underbody off my car :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

All the SIMI see is €€€€ and they'll try everything in the book to get more for them and there members.

I'd like to think i've never given the bastards a penny, me being smart about what cars i buy and run.

Just last night i sold a 20 year old car with NCT & TAX to a Irish fella for €200, who was going to loose his job and he couldnt afford the payments on his 07 Mondeo, so needed a cheap car to do him while he weatherd out this economic storm, i think we'll be seeing more of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

My next car will be for sure a NI import. For a little under 10k I can get a 1.9 TDI Audi (03-05). You'd be dammed to find one for that price down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

SIMI are the greatest shower of ginits.
    They for years have fcuked up the Irish motor industry. Lads I say buy your cars in the north or mainland Britain and tell all your friends until such a time the Irish person isn't getting roasted anymore!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

SIMI can kiss the back of my :mad:

Yes i drive a car over ten years old and i don't think ill ever care about buying a new car when there are plenty of very reasnble well loved second hand cars. It also helps that i dont have a car loan or more than 50 euro persnoal debt.

I actually prefer older cars and the only car I can think of that's new I like and would consider is the new RWD Hyundai Coupe.

Each to there own but as far as i can see it SIMI havent done motorisits many favours over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

i bought a car from an SIMI main dealer yesterday.

An import from the UK, I got a deal that suited me.

But it is ironic that that their lobby group is screaming one thing while their members are slipping across the sea to pick up the bargains we all know are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

lol whatever there using over here is eating the underbody off my car :eek:

It's salt. Heard the county engineers from two seperate counties say so on Drive-time yesterday on Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It's salt. Heard the county engineers from two seperate counties say so on Drive-time yesterday on Radio 1.

Of course they use salt. However it generally isn't as cold in Ireland as in most parts of Britain and many rural roads are not treated.
    Economical motoring is all about keeping a car well, and for longer. That's what'll hurt SIMI members the most. The writing is on the wall....

Contrary to received opinion UK imports will shorten the average life of cars. Cars in Ireland are more expensive because of VRT. In a closed market this would encourage people to make them last longer. Traditionally they did, say a car in the UK is fully depreciated after 10 years then one in Ireland might be fully depreciated after 12. Now people are importing used cars, which prevents a natural depreciation in the Irish market as mid life cars would be more expensive here than the equivalent in the UK plus the VRT. Cue all of the rip off allegations here. It is simple economics, the normal operation of the Irish car market is being distorted. This is OK in general, as those who want value get a used car more cheaply and those who want snobbery can still get a new car, which now depreciates more quickly, increasing its snob value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

noblestee wrote: »
    Well it cant, but for the last few years people have been buying at the price they see, as regards cars, holidays, everything. Too much money, no research done on what they are getting and what is available elsewhere. Hopefully now with money a lot tighter people will realise that Ireland is being charged extortionate prices for cars, paying premiums above other countries, all for a lower shitty 'paddy' spec.
    running out of tar for your brush there are you?
    I have never had "too much money" or "bought at the price I see" in regard to cars, holidays or anything that I am aware of actually.
    I have done research and I hope my money will not get tighter so I can realize what I already know.
    I accept your point that, yes, certain people have spent beyond their means, but that is a rather small section of society.
    Yes people are impressionable but not all of them are. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

SIMI are running a bit of a tasty racket - around €450 or more per year to join their little club. I run a small car dealers, very small but I thought it might be wise to join the SIMI just to say Im registered, as some potential customers might see it as good; but in fact I got sense; I dont even agree with their policies and if they get approx €500 per year x a couple of thousand members, its a tidy little earner.

Listen to this; I asked the girl on the phone at the SIMI "can you tell me what the €450 actually goes towards" ...well she must have dropped her kitkat and morning coffee, because she sounded well peeed off, and replied in an angry voice "lots of things, meetings, meetings with government, producing reports, advertising"

What a load of bollox: adds telling people not to buy UK reg cars - when in fact thousands of SIMI member dealer actually source their stock in the UK; or meetings for SIMIs chief exec to go around the country and earn a whopping salary!

They are having a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Just noticed the "recommended" price list on SIMI website.
    The vehicle prices referred to in this section are recommended prices, for guide purposes only.

Every car dealer is free to charge whatever price it deems appropriate in respect of a vehicle.

Haha. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Car-dealer wrote: »
    SIMI are running a bit of a tasty racket - around €450 or more per year to join their little club. I run a small car dealers, very small but I thought it might be wise to join the SIMI just to say Im registered, as some potential customers might see it as good; but in fact I got sense; I dont even agree with their policies and if they get approx €500 per year x a couple of thousand members, its a tidy little earner.

Listen to this; I asked the girl on the phone at the SIMI "can you tell me what the €450 actually goes towards" ...well she must have dropped her kitkat and morning coffee, because she sounded well peeed off, and replied in an angry voice "lots of things, meetings, meetings with government, producing reports, advertising"

What a load of bollox: adds telling people not to buy UK reg cars - when in fact thousands of SIMI member dealer actually source their stock in the UK; or meetings for SIMIs chief exec to go around the country and earn a whopping salary!

They are having a laugh!

What is needed is a new representative organisation for the Irish Motor Industry where your continued membership is dependent upon you being audited once a year, and reaching/exceeding a pre agreed standard, including an audit/survey of your customers.

Advertisement