Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed, regarding litter trays.

Options
  • 07-01-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Ok, so one of my 3 year old cats has recently decided that she doesnt like to poop in her litter tray.

We have recently changed the litter to something more natural than the clay based litters. She seems happy enough to pee in the new litter, but wont poop in it, instead she will go next to the tray instead.
    Last month I ran out of the new litter and went back to a clay based one while I was waiting on a delivery of the new stuff, and she seem to do that same with this, pee in it, but poop next to the tray.

Now I've never had an issue with her doing this before, in fact, she has always been excellent at adapting to any change that I have made in the past.
    She knows shes doing wrong because she runs away from the trays when I come to tell her off. And lastnight, she knew I was watching her, so pooped in the tray instead.

My 3 other cats, one is her sister and the same age, the other two are about 11 months old, seem to have no issues with the new litter at all.

Is there something I can do to encourage Kobi to start using the litter trays completely again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Do you have just the one tray for her? You might try another one just beside the one she will use to pee in. Or else put another one in a different location - away from where the other cats are used to going - maybe she would like one just for her.

I have noticed that my cats seem to use one tray for pee and other for the poo. I also have an extremely fussy cat who won't use a tray at all if has been used before - instead he goes in the bath! Delightful! I still haven't solved that problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

I have two rather large litter trays, side by side.
    And yes, they often pee in one and poo in the other, or pee in the front and poo at the back.

Now that I have 4, maybe I do need to get another...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sinead1

If you get her a new littler tray/box and spray a bit of catnip in maybe.. I have a litter box for each cat and it works a treat (i like the box's better in the house as I have to have a few). She should adapt to the new litter no problem as most cats just insist on having clean dry litter/pellets.

good luck

Sinead (the maid)

Dog's have masters cat's have staff!:D

Advertisement