Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage rate changes

Options
  • 07-01-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

With all the latest changes in mortgage rates has anyone compared the cash figure they are paying now to the figure they were paying for the same rate previously.

We have a tracker mortgage and the same rate now is €5-10 dearer that previously, have compared more than one rate and all are the same.

Just wanted to see if anyone has similar experience before getting on to bank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

The mortgage interest relief has now decreased, so this could explain the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

The mortgage interest relief has now decreased, so this could explain the difference.

The figure I am looking at is the mortgage figure without any relief. The relief figure has changed as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

manc wrote: »
    The figure I am looking at is the mortgage figure without any relief. The relief figure has changed as expected.

Is it that you are comparing the rate you are on now to when the ECB was last at 2.5%? If so, it was only at 2.5% for 3 months (but only a total of 2 calender months) back in 2006. Given that we have yet to experience a full calender month since it went back to 2.5%, might it have anything to do with the fact that some of your repayment includes several days at the previous rate of 3.25%?

Not saying that's definitely it, but it's certainly a possibility. You must remember that different banks calculate interest differently, but with my mortgage, the interest is calculated daily and applied quarterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

that sounds possible, I had a look at the dates and they were for 2-5 months for different rates.

Rang the bank but could only leave a message, still waiting for reply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement