Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Moles in the lounge?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 2:04pm

I've been having a bit of a spring clean and I've come across some old diarys.
    I've never managed to commit to the idea for longer than 3 weeks.
    But it is nice to see how trivial the things I was worrying about 4 years ago. Seem now. And hope that I'll feel the same way come 2013.

Do you keep a diary? Do you find that it helps you put things in perspective?

Does anyone know where I can find one with a lock.

Yes I am a paranoid polly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get an online one which you can make the entries private.

http://www.livejournal.com/
    or maybe
    http://www.insanejournal.com/

Ouh...Thats cool. Thanks Thae.

I'd still like to find a notepad. There is just something about pen and paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Get an online one which you can make the entries private.

http://www.livejournal.com/
    or maybe
    http://www.insanejournal.com/

Ooh, it's not the same as writing it out by hand though... I used to keep diaries and they physical act of writing was often a great release for any tension or stress or upset I was feeling. Literally a weight lifted. I'm not sure it would be the same posting it on a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I started to keep a journal so I could remember events, nights out, conversations had and people I met. I find I've a bad memory at times and yet I could remember the most intricate details other times that no one else would take notice of. I stopped writing after I met someone who took up a lot of my time and now none of that part of my life has been logged. I wish I kept up the habit but it really did fall by the wayside.

Reading over old stuff can be very funny but some of the 'drama' was valid and a lot of it was pure OTT hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Trust me no one needs to keep their journal online unless you lead a very very interesting life.

If they could invent a way to stab someone who owns a useless online journal in the face I'd be a very happy man.

if you need to put it down electronically use notepad and keep it on your desktop.

Your right tho you can't beat pen on paper.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    Trust me no one needs to keep their journal online unless you lead a very very interesting life.

If they could invent a way to stab someone who owns a useless online journal in the face I'd be a very happy man.

if you need to put it down electronically use notepad and keep it on your desktop.

Your right tho you can't beat pen on paper.

Keyboard is my first hand to tbh scribing takes too long.
    Desktop is not as safe and I like the functionality of some of the online options.
    My life intresting? nah I'm just a stay at home mammy with two kids and a cat.
    I do like to keep up with my friends and find that I enjoy reading their journals.

Keyboard is my first hand to tbh scribing takes too long.
    Desktop is not as safe and I like the functionality of some of the online options.
    My life intresting? nah I'm just a stay at home mammy with two kids and a cat.
    I do like to keep up with my friends and find that I enjoy reading their journals.

Desktop is not safe compared to what? uploading it to a public web server?

how is a desktop unsafe?

you can use the functionality of the majority of the popular blog tools locally on your machine without uploading the information for every muppet in the world to read.

you can use the functionality of the majority of the popular blog tools locally on your machine without uploading the information for every muppet in the world
    to read.

The whole point of those two sites is that the entries are locked so that not every muppet can read them :P and as for them being on a public server they can be encrypted and they just become data sitting on the server which no one working there will bother with it's just data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I keep log books. I nearly always have it with me along with my camera, it's where random drawings and writing and bull**** end up. Loads of gig tickets and other things stuck in their as well. Lots of stuff by my friends from houseparties etc which is nice.

I use the below, they are brilliant and you can get them all over the place now, Easons is always a safe bet.

http://www.paperblanks.com/

The whole point of those two sites is that the entries are locked so that not every muppet can read them :P and as for them being on a public server they can be encrypted and they just become data sitting on the server which no one working there will bother with it's just data.

The majority of people don't seem to lock them plus I would of thought the diary moon was talking about were things she might want to keep private not just to her friends and family but keep them for herself and if it is the case putting them on a public server locked or not locked would be futile.

You can encrypt the document on your desktop?

there's enough crap on the internet wasting space and bandwith been wasted on piles of nonsense about how long it took them to go the shop and how gasley the price of milk is gone up..

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    I keep log books. I nearly always have it with me along with my camera, it's where random drawings and writing and bull**** end up. Loads of gig tickets and other things stuck in their as well. Lots of stuff by my friends from houseparties etc which is nice.

I use the below, they are brilliant and you can get them all over the place now, Easons is always a safe bet.

There's a small irish company that does something similar they're really nice the name escapes me i'll have a look

The majority of people don't seem to lock them plus I would of thought the diary moon was talking about were things she might want to keep private not just to her friends and family but keep them for herself and if it is the case putting them on a public server locked or not locked would be futile.

Yes, the majority don't, but as Thaed said in her post 'you can keep it private'. Anyway, I think the main concern with a diary is that friends and family would read it, I can't imangine anyone being too concerned that some bored IT staffer over in livejournal knows that I bought new pants yestreday or that I have a crush on that cute guy who works in the shop.

there's enough crap on the internet wasting space and bandwith been wasted on piles of nonsense about how long it took them to go the shop and how gasley the price of milk is gone up..

Yeah, I know I'm dreading the day when I try to come onto boards and an error message saying "The internet is full" pops up :rolleyes: If you don't like blogs, don't read them.

shellyboo wrote: »
    Yes, the majority don't, but as Thaed said in her post 'you can keep it private'. Anyway, I think the main concern with a diary is that friends and family would read it, I can't imangine anyone being too concerned that some bored IT staffer over in livejournal knows that I bought new pants yestreday or that I have a crush on that cute guy who works in the shop.

Yeah, I know I'm dreading the day when I try to come onto boards and an error message saying "The internet is full" pops up :rolleyes: If you don't like blogs, don't read them.

exactly so just leave it on your desktop, no one's going to read it then but you which was the whole idea behind them I thought. Unless you have something very interesting to say which 99.9% of the many "bloggers" don't it's safe to keep it for your own consumption.

It's not a case of not liking them or not.

exactly so just leave it on your desktop, no one's going to read it then but you which was the whole idea behind them I thought. Unless you have something very interesting to say which 99.9% of the many "bloggers" don't it's safe to keep it for your own consumption.

It's not a case of not liking them or not.

Unless you share a family computer, have kids in the house, let mates use your laptop... in which case there's a very good chance that someone will read it.

Unless you share a family computer, have kids in the house, let mates use your laptop... in which case there's a very good chance that someone will read it.

That's why we have user accounts.....

if you have kids create one for the kids...

If you want friends to use your laptop create a guest account....

and has said it can be encrypted so no one will be reading it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Dragan wrote: »

lol thats basically what i do but i get the leather bound books with the wrap around it so that the loose drawings/pictures/momentos don't fall out.

Or, just put it online so you don't have to fiddle about with your computer, encrypting word docs (which I wouldn't have the first clue how to do) and acting like an uptight, paranoid loser every time your mates want to check their email. I know which I'd prefer. But then, I hate the whole user accounts malarkey anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Solving the world problems one post at a time :rolleyes:

I like the idea of an online diary myself so thanks Thaed. I used to keep one, and my mam found it and read it. Thats when i got the lecture you can get AIDS from kissing (you can't can you?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I have an online diary too- I don't use it the same way as I would a paper one, mostly just to ramble. I read the online diaries of other people I find interesting, and livejournal has some decent communities to participate in as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Ever hear of Belle Du Jour?

Started as an online diary, very interesting stuff, in a non PG way.

• Advertisement

Or, just put it online so you don't have to fiddle about with your computer, encrypting word docs (which I wouldn't have the first clue how to do) and acting like an uptight, paranoid loser every time your mates want to check their email. I know which I'd prefer. But then, I hate the whole user accounts malarkey anyway.

hardly now, you could just have it in a folder somewhere.

your about two clicks away from encryption.

Your lack of knowledge or laziness is not an excuse.

You're basically saying I'll upload it _someone_ elses computer not encrypted because _that's_ handier and safer?

lol

You're basically saying I'll upload it _someone_ elses computer not encrypted because _that's_ handier and safer?

lol

Isn't that such a worthwhile contribution to the lounge. No wonder this place is teaming with interested users. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Isn't that such a worthwhile contribution to the lounge. No wonder this place is teaming with interested users. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Maybe you picked up the point wrong.

It is, because one might not have the inclination to do something doesn't make it the wrong way to do it. a lot people will take the easy way out and there's nothing wrong with that, but because you don't fully understand something or have the will to learn != wrong

that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

lol thats basically what i do but i get the leather bound books with the wrap around it so that the loose drawings/pictures/momentos don't fall out.

Yep. The little Moleskine books. I keep one in my pocket at all times to write down ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

ntlbell - you might want to just be mindful of how some of your brusqueness comes across. Your posts have a tendency to come across rather rudely; now whether or not this is intentional is your call but I think a lot of folk would greatly appreciate it if you were perhaps a little less combative in your tone?

g'em wrote: »
    ntlbell - you might want to just be mindful of how some of your brusqueness comes across. Your posts have a tendency to come across rather rudely; now whether or not this is intentional is your call but I think a lot of folk would greatly appreciate it if you were perhaps a little less combative in your tone?

I can sugar coat them no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I can sugar coat them no problem.

If you could that would be just superb. Normally at this point I post up my Group Hug photo but something tells me this isn't the place for it...

hardly now, you could just have it in a folder somewhere.

Yes, because friends and relatives are renowned for not knowing how to open folders. :rolleyes: People are nosy, fact of life.

lol

It's safer if you don't want people you KNOW reading your diary. It's not safer, obviously, if you don't want ANYONE reading your diary. And yes, it would be handier for me. My lack of knowledge and laziness about how to encrypt a word document will exist until such times as I feel the need to encrypt one. I'm sure it's very straightforward. How are you going to fix your superior attitude about my lack of knowledge?
    It is, because one might not have the inclination to do something doesn't make it the wrong way to do it. a lot people will take the easy way out and there's nothing wrong with that, but because you don't fully understand something or have the will to learn != wrong

that's all.

I never said that keeping it on your desktop was the wrong way to do it. I said that keeping it online was a good alternative, because it means people close to you are less likely to see it. I'm merely defending the idea. However, you clearly think that keeping a diary online - even if no-one else can read it - is somehow egotistical and selfish and wasting valuable space online :confused:

You were the one who hopped off Thaed for suggesting to keep the diary online... so perhaps you should follow your own advice in not criticising someone else's means of doing something just because it's not the way you would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Yes, because friends and relatives are renowned for not knowing how to open folders. :rolleyes: People are nosy, fact of life.

I wouldn't know I don't have relatives, friends or my kids routing around my laptop.

I'm sure it's very straightforward. How are you going to fix your superior attitude about my lack of knowledge?

I'm not?
    is somehow egotistical and selfish and wasting valuable space online :confused:

I never said it was egotistical or selfish. it's not filling up some magic hard drive but when more nonsense is added to an all readly bulging infrastructure that doesn't really have the capacity from a network point of view due to our goverment not taken their figure out of it's bottom the more nonsense you have the more bandwidth is wasted viewing that nonsense, it's not just blogs it's any nonsense like 99% of you tube etc and when the 25-30 kids on street are looking at crap it means people who actually want to do something useful are bogged down

It's nothing to do with filling up the internet's "hard drive" this is where you addded your rolls eyes can I add mine?
    You were the one who hopped off Thaed for suggesting to keep the diary online... so perhaps you should follow your own advice in not criticising someone else's means of doing something just because it's not the way you would do it.

I wasn't even replying to thaed if you read the thread carefully I gave my opinion on online journals blogs etc thaed then replied to me I never at any stage in this thread engadged thaed.

Advertisement